These are the Chev lights that were used from 77 through 85 or so: Towards the end of the run, they switched to the Buick light, which is the same as the Chev, except for a brushed chrome overlay on the middle segment.
thanks for explonation! Also, how properly open rear door to horizantal possition? From inside its ok, but I know it somehow opens from outside. All I sucseeded in side opening. thank you
Open rear window...reach inside and pull the correct inside handle to get the gate in the down position.
Maybe I am wrong , but I think I have read, that outside handle can open gate both ways. Just diference in how to move the handle
The box wagon I had was an 88 Buick Electra so I am only assuming that it is the same as yours. The outside handle on my car swung the gate open only in the vertical position. To open it in the down or, horizontal position, I had to either slide the gate window down with the switch inside the car on the dash or with the key in the gate and then reach in and pull the center handle of the gate. My gate had two handles on the inside as well as the one on the outside... one on the right as you faced the rear of the car and one in the center. My gate would not open with any of the 3 handles unless the gate window was down all the way. I hope I have explained this well enough and it helps.
On any of the cars, no matter who made them, that have the 30-way tailgate, the window must be down before the door will drop as a tailgate. There is a safety mechanism built in to prevent the door dropping with the window open, as the glass would be very vulnerable to being shattered if it were horizontal and only supported on the one side. You can use the exterior handle to open the tail gate as a door, window up or down. To drop the gate, you have to retract the window, and then use the interior handle mounted in the middle of the door.
Here is a picture of the later style of Oldsmobile light: These also fit in the same cut out, as the body coloured band between brake and reverse lamps is part of the assembly.
Where you all get theese ruber "seals" at tailgate window? all yours seems in perfect shape. main is so badly cracked.
These are the Buick tail lamps. Notice they are the same as the Chev, but with the brushed trim over lay over the middle, reverse lamp, segment.