1974 TVR 2500M Chicago C/L

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by cammerjeff, Mar 16, 2018.

1. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Don't see to many of these in the states, the last few I have seen were basket cases. Always liked them But have never owned or driven one. If it is as described the price does not seem that bad to me at $15,500 it should sound great with the Triumph I-6 with 3 weber's. But the fact that it currently has snow tires on it makes me pause? I know rust on the chassis of TVR's is a big deal, and they use a bit of salt in that area this time of year. It is a rather dull color combo though.

Also no shots of the ripped seats, but the seller does mention them at least. Should be a fun car

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/d/1974-tvr-2500m-triple-webers/6503883647.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ^^^ I think I agree with you there. I'd want a removable hardtop on mine as well..... Those are TR6 tail lights on the TVR, as well....

Triumph TR6.jpg

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    What's interesting, on those TVRs, are the rear curved windows. I wonder if those were borrowed from the Plymouth Barracuda. If so, I also wonder how many are still in stock available

5. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Always like these cars, drove 1 many years ago almost bought it, but got my 73 Alfa Spyder instead because there was a dealer within 60 miles, and it had AC - 1st Alfa, 72 Berlina, didn't and I wasn't going to do that again,
    Car was a blast - remember it like it was yesterday.
    If I had garage space would love to get this
    https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/tvr/tasmin/2085231.html
    $11,000 obo
    upload_2018-3-16_19-20-32.png
    looking for a TVR I would contract these folks, they also do a ton of Lotus and a 73 JPS Eurpoa has always been on my bucket list.
    http://www.wirewheel.com/TVR.html
    Wire wheel.com has sold more TVR's than anyone else in North America for the past 5 years.

yeah you could drive a Triumph - but then you would be just another 1, but a TVR is kind of of like driving a wagon - you are part of a few, but I will always be at the edge of the herd

the car you are looking at is over priced based on condition.

Attached Files:

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If I owned a convertible, I don't know how I would be able to cope with not having A/C:dead:

7. cammerjeff

I think the car I posted is at a dealer so its a given its overpriced to me. Thanks for the link that place even has a Plywood Marcos for sale, one of the younger Pilots in my Fathers squadron drove one in the late 60's. I could not believe it was made out of plywood! His was powered by some sort of I-6 and sounded awesome it was also left hand drive, and I don't remember the protruding trunk lid on his, but it was almost 50 years ago now.
    It was one of the almost exotic herd of cars those Navel Aviators drove hard, My father had a Series 2 E-Type, another had an Alfa Romeo Montreal, along with Big and Small Bock Vette's & a Porche 912. I have only seen a couple of others and only at shows, it was just a odd used car at that time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Plywood is strong and not to be underestimated. The Germans were building their version of a supersonic stealth bomber, using plywood. I'm sure, the frame on that sports car was metal, though. In fact, cars were made with wood structuring, before they were stamping sheetmetal

9. cammerjeff

From the little bit of research I just did it looks like the early 64-68 cars were Plywood Chassis, but had a steel front subframe bolted on. The later cars were Steel Chassis cars. Below is a picture of a rebuilt Wood Chassis. With the Volvo I6 they claim the complete car would weigh around 1650 lbs. Supposedly they actually surprised the US Dept. of Transportation when they crash tested one in the late 60's. It performed better in the test than any conventional 2 seat sports car of the era in the front impact crash test.
    But I wonder how well it would perform in a side impact? Usually plywood is very strong in one direction, but not so much in other directions.
    When I was younger I was led to believe that the body panels were also molded plywood (like a WWI Albatros fighter or the WWII de Havilland Mosquito), but I see now that it is a fiberglass body attached to the Wooden Subframe. Still a very interesting car design. If my wife ever hits the lottery I may have to look for a Left hand drive model.
    And yes I do like odd sports cars, my Mallet Converted V8 Solstice is a prime example. No one expects it to out run a stock Z06 Corvette. I think the extream Lightweight TVR's or a Marcos would be a lot of fun to drive. And not break the bank it purchase (but upkeep may be another matter) compared to an E-type or Prancing Horse Brand.
    [​IMG]
    I found this shot that shows what looks to be a steel front subframe attached to the wooden Chassis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good question.....
    While the overall shape is very similar, I suspect that they are not the same. To my eye, the radius of curve at the forward glass edge, from the side going to the top, looks larger on the TVR than it does on the Barracuda.
    [​IMG]

I also suspect that the piece of glass itself is larger on the Barracuda. TVR's pretty small.....

11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    True. The Barracuda's glass is definitely longer
    The one pictured above has the 4-cylinder Amazon engine which should be even lighter
    Plywood is grained in both directions