1973 Gremlin - Hurst Highway Rescue System One

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by Cyber-Wizard, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Cyber-Wizard

Cyber-Wizard Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's not a wagon but as Corky would say "I think that's cooler than dang'it!".
    http://justacarguy.blogspot.ca/2016/07/hurst-rescue-system-1-gremlin.html

[​IMG]

George Hurst had the idea of creating a vehicle that could be used to transport his Hurst Rescue Tool, nicknamed ” The Jaws of Life” and other equipment to aid race car drivers in the event of a crash that caused entrapment of the driver. For this job he chose the AMC Gremlin. The Hurst Rescue System 1 was a complete rescue package equipped with firefighting, first aid, a 1000 pound winch and even a stretcher.

[​IMG]

When members of the all volunteer squad Murray County Rescue in Chatsworth Georgia heard about the Hurst System 1, they contacted the company and a prototype was brought to be checked out.

After seeing the “jaws” in action on some junk cars, the decision was made to buy the whole deal. Not being funded by any government, money had to be raised, lots of money, the cost was over $11,000 dollars and we’re talking about 1973.

They held bake sales, yard sales, boot drives and took donations to come up with the money. Once delivered, they had the only rescue tool in North Georgia and went a few trips into surrounding counties to aid in some really bad accidents. The car has a 15,170 original miles on it.

The Gremlin was taken out of “first out” status in 2002 due to requirements by the State of Georgia for certified crash rescue vehicles. The little car just can’t hold everything on the check list. It takes a one ton truck now to do the same job the Gremlin did for years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Ooh, a 'Purple K' extinguisher! Us Navy guys are very familiar with those!

3. 60Buick

60Buick Active Member

I have one. I have the correct Hurst rescue tool but much of the other stuff is impossible to find. I need the fire extinguisher, the power bee for the rescue tool, the back board and other stuff. I still need to make the rack for the tool. Luckily the car in service is only a few hours away. I need to go look at it.

Attached Files:

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Oh, now I understand why you have Gremlins in your shop....:49:

60Buick likes this.
  5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

OK
    This thing is cool. I think that "regular" Gremlins are cool, mainly because they are so odd. This thing takes it to a whole nother level.
    The fact that it was still in service until 2002 is incredible.

60buick, you are indeed crazy my friend. I like your style. I don't know what in the world I would do with a "Rescue System 1" Gremlin but now that I've seen one, I kinda want one.

60Buick likes this.
  6. 60Buick

60Buick Active Member

Technically the car was not retired in 2002. It is still in service, just not a primary. That is the really amazing part. It is still the backup plus they use it for fundraisers. It does still go out on calls if needed. They won't sell it because it is still in use, plus it brings in donations.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it either. Cars shows I guess. It's only been outside once since I painted it a year ago. I just knew I wanted one. The thing that really seems to surprise people is that I didn't stumble into one and fix it. I wanted one and built it. Mine started life as a regular 76 model silver with blue interior. I had to back date it to a 74 and convert it into what it is. The car was garbage when I found it. It was spray painted black, full of shattered glass, rust and bondo plus it was wrecked. It had a spun rod bearing and the interior was a rat nest. It had been sitting under a tree for years in a guys back yard. I bought it for a few hundred bucks and really don't have much in it since I did all the work myself.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

That is truly a labor of love.

60Buick likes this.