1973 Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by jaunty75, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We're mere tools in the box, Jeff. Weapons of classic reconstruction! :rofl2: Staples behind the stars. The grease in the squeaky wheel. I'm running out of false humility. Dam, we're great! :rofl2::rofl2::bowdown:

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Thanks for the kind words, David.

The latest on the CC is that I have pretty much finished putting the interior back together. I repainted the moldings and plastic wheelhouse trim and it's all back in. As might be expected in such cases, I ended up with several pieces that I don't know where they go! Maybe one day I'll see another '73 up close and can find out.

Below are four photos taken the night I first visited the car back in January and then two taken as I was finishing up the rear interior. In the latter photos, the covering on the floor is greenish in color as it has faded over the years. I've since repainted it to the same color as the side trim, but I don't have a photo of that yet.

I took those last two photos before I was completely finished, and I was too lazy to remove the little boxes of screws and some of the tools, so that's why they're in the photo! Also, I was in the process of putting in some rear speakers. The car originally came with an AM-only radio with just two speakers up front. The previous owner had added a CB radio (a very 1970s thing to do!) and had put in a single rear speaker on one side. Since the speaker cutout was already there on one side in the rear, it wasn't much of a decision to decide to put in a second one.

Before (photos taken January 16, 2010).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After (photos taken June 12, 2010).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    WTF?? Everyone is discussing jaunts car and every single pix he has posted are red X's for me and I can't bring them up???

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Can you see the most recent photos posted today?

You won't see the ones posted prior to May 29. As I mentioned in a posting that day (page 15 of this thread), I had to delete those photos from my server as they begin to take up too much of my somewhat limited server space. Eventually I'll have to remove the photos I'm posting now as well if I continue to want to post new ones.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  5. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Jaunty, I had the same problem. I, like you, like to say it with photos, but evetually we run out of space. I went to an outside source and posted photo links, but even those eventually get deleted by the provider. :mad:

Great job none the less! :rednose:

6. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Why not upload them to www.photobucket.com... 500Mb free account (just register and have your photos on=line for decades) :thumbs2:

7. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

There's not a thing wrong with this idea and I keep thinking I should do it. The one thing I like, though, about the way I've been doing it is that I can put the photos right in while I'm talking about them, like an illustrated story.

Maybe I just will start a photobucket account, though. At about 100 Kb per image if you size them right, 500 Mb gives you room for 5000 photos. That ought to last me a day or two! Thanks for the push.

8. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    picasa has a free thing too- all my pics are there, no problem

9. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Got it. Thanks, Jaunt...I should have read that but....it's a LOT of pages.:yikes:

10. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Here's some photos of the finished rear interior. I still have to deal with that plastic trim attached to the seatbacks and trunk lid. It's sticking up right at the rear of the trunk lid. Need to glue that down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the new rear speakers, actually in place. The one on the right side looks just like it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Now, as promised, here are those parts I ended up with that I don't know where they go. First up are these two plastic pieces, a nice mirror-image matched set, about 5 or 6 inches on a side. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Second are these two pieces. One is a metal trim piece that looks a lot like it ought to be somewhere in the rear interior as I just got done putting back a lot of metal trim pieces that look just like it. But I don't see a place to put it.

The other piece appears to be a significant piece of rubber weatherstripping. But I don't know where it goes. It's about 5 feet long.

[​IMG]

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

12. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Jaunty, I think the two plastic things are filler pieces that go up underneath the backend on each side of tailgate stowage box and the quarters at the very rear. David : )

13. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Thanks, David. I'll give it a look.

14. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Jaunty, for gluing the seatbacking down, I'd use ProForm's white body sealer. It looks, smells and spreads like linoleum cement, but it has UVA/UVB protective chemicals that won't let it get hard and crispy and crackup. Good stuff.

15. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Thanks for the tip. I might give that a try.