1973 country squire

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Irishwagon, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

i like the bucket seats .. wish my woodgrain still looked that slick . i got info on running 17x7 front and 18x8 on back ...

2. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

Here is what the wood looks like when i dont put lemon plege on it , Its faded but not beat up , the most im going to do to the outside for now is the rims 17 and 18 and tinted windows and lowering it about 2'' front and back .
    but the motor is going to get a tune with a cam and 4v intake and carb ..for now but a rebuild is in the works for motor and trans !!:banana:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, those ultra-luxury bucket seats were also standard on the LTD Brougham 4drs and 2drs, but they were cloth. I have personally never been a fan of high back bucket seats, but I do like the looks of these and also you may note that that "Brougham" option added upscale door panels as well. There was a light blue 73 Country Squire in Atlanta on Craigslist about a year ago, pretty nice, he wanted $800 for it, but no money, no space = I could not buy it. It had the Brougham interior option as well. (Pics of it below). He said if not sold, it would be crushed... dont think it was sold and I think it was crushed. :(

I meant to ask, does your car have the optional dual facing seats in the cargo area?

Yeah, the woodgrain on my 72 Caprice wagon will turn white like that after awhile, especially if it gets wet... I can apply the lemon pledge and it will darken and gleam for weeks if it dont get wet. Woodgrain for my 72 is impossible to get... GM used "transluscent" woodgrain on the early 70s models, which was kinda transparent and allowed the color of the car hue though to an extent... meaning a dark blue wagon would have had a dark blue glow to the woodgrain. I know Pontiac and Chevy used this in 71-73.

Yeah, your woodgrain still looks good shape... just keep applying the pledge. :)

Nice looking car, hope you get it how you want it and enjoy! :dancing:

Pics of the 73 Country Squire Brougham... also had the deluxe wheelcovers and cornering lights option... also note the wood grained steering wheel... pretty rare option.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. Cluricaun

Cluricaun Active Member

That is a pretty sweet Brougham. Wood grain wheel = rim blow horn I believe (bottons on the spokes were for the cruise). If I came across one like that, it'd be in my driveway real quick! :D My heart still goes out for the Chevy's like yours, for old times sake. My mom had a '72 Kingswood (light green/dark green int) then a '74 Impala wagon (maroon/blk int) back in the day. Both cars had 350's and the power tailgate. Miss those cars

5. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I would have loved to have got this wagon... unfortunately, I think it was crushed. :cry: Yeah, that steering wheel is a rarely seen feature in these wagons.

Yeah, I still like my car, just wore out on it though, all of these problems with the engine, hopefully to soon be resolved... with mine had the 350, I would not have the problems I am now. LOL. Still may end up selling it or trading it off for another wagon or an old Caddy or something. I remember when I was a kid in the 80s, our neighbor had a '74 Impala wagon... light green on light green... I remember it like it was yesterday... it belonged to some rednecks, lol, but the car was still like new. I even remember the smell of the air freshener inside that I could smell when I would walk by it. That had to be around 1988. What a memory I have of old cars. lol. :disagree:

6. Cluricaun

Cluricaun Active Member

Yeah, the wagon memories, the more I think about 'em, the more I want another. bought a fresh boat last summer and it would be so handy to have a wagon to haul stuff up there (coolers/beer/etc.) way better than just a pick up lol. ...they crushed the Squire? :(

7. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    I guess so... he said if it was not sold that week, it was to be crushed. I dont think he sold it.

8. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

i got the fuel pump on and it fired up on the first try after i put a couple of gallons of gas in it .. :whew:i let it run for a little while and would crank by just touching the switch . its in bad need of a tune its very cold shouldered ..
    here is a car i found that i will pattern my project after for now .

Attached Files:

9. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like you are moving in the right direction!

Thats a nice looking '72 Gran Torino Squire posted above.... quite a rare car as well.

10. Cluricaun

Cluricaun Active Member

sharp eye there Kingswood on the 72 Gran Torino Squire call :clap:

11. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    lol, thanks. I have always loved those wagons too.... about a mile from here there was one in the woods that belonged to an old man my grandpa knew for years... the old man had 1000s of old 40s-80s models cars, mostly 60-70s. He would just buy them over the years and park them in the woods. I used to walk all over the area and look at the cars. I remember the '72 Gran Torino Squire... it was white... it was showing 54K on the odometer but it had been setting since about 1980 and I seen it in 2005... it was ruined by the elements. It was a very high optioned car, even had power windows, which was pretty unusual for the Torino wagons. He also had a '71 Pontiac Grand Safari wagon, rare, but was the even rarer 2-seat model. Someone had removed the 455 engine... I also remember him having EIGHT different 1969-70 Country Squire wagons and a 75 Country Squire. He passed away in 2007 and I heard his son had been in the process of hauling all of the cars to the crusher. :(

12. Cluricaun

Cluricaun Active Member

A sad ending to a collection that would've been awesome to see. Must be great to live down in TN where the roads are free of the dreaded salt. I sold my 78 Olds ninety eight a couple of years ago and have been pineing for something cool and 70's since and a wagon it shall be. It's great to have run into someone as knowledgeable about such things as yourself, I've always been into these things. I see you have a Grand Ville 4 dr, there's a rare car, only ones i come across of are convertibles. Most ppl don't even know what a Grand Ville is lol Now, if i could just find a nice Grand Safari...:D

13. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Since you are going to mod the 73 anyway, why not swap out the C-6 for the heavy duty AOD out of a late 80s 3/4 or 1 ton truck. That version of the AOD is based on the internals of the C-6 and uses the same case. All you need is the adapter kit, since the older engines used a lighter counter weight. Do, that, add a good 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with X-crossover and FlowMaster Delta Flows, put on an Edelbrock intake and square bore carb, set ir all up right, and you could hit the high 30s for gas mileage. Up grade the heads and cam, add headers, and it is possible to come close to the mileage of a Prius in that great woody wagon. Just choose your tires carefully. Don't go too low profile, or you won't have the weight rating for a 5,000 lb car. If it were mine, though, the woodgrain would have to stay. Part of the Q-Ship mystique!

14. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

i will stay with the C6 because my buddy builds race duty c4 and c6 and its a weekend driver anyway.. im keeping the the on car stock or the most part but going with rims and tires and lowering it a little ...the motor im going to up date it a little with the 4v and carb with a better cam and get rid of the points ,

15. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, this year has been an exception... we have had a much higher than normal year for snow... we normally only see 13 inches per year on average and I would say we have already seen that and we are only 1/2 way into the season, lol. The Grand Ville dont come out in the snow though. :)