1973 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu SS 454

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Oct 30, 2014.

1. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    This is a minimum 10K car, but probably worth a fair bit more.

2. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Just 12 hours left.

3. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Bid to $8700 - reserve not met - auction over.

4. kyle1979

kyle1979 Member

Okay holy thread resurrection; but I thought this the best place to share the info i know about all of these 73 SS wagons that have appeared in the last few years...

1. The beautiful red one pictured at the start of this thread was purchased by my friend Dave. He at one point maintained the 73 SS wagon registry. This 454 was not one of the others that had been for sale anywhere the last several years. It's a beautiful car that he plans to keep forever.
    2. The yellow one that had been on eBay a several times has changed hands three times since I first tried to buy it in 2014 on eBay when it wasn't running out of Utah. It had been sold locally there, and that owner got it running and did the interior. Then it sold to a collector in Virginia who really jacked up the price on some other specialty websites. It is numbers matching, and was later sold to a gentleman named Tom (who I believe is now in Pennsylvania) and is doing a concourse restoration. I've talked to him a few times as he's been tracking down parts.
    3. There is a very rough yellow one that was on eBay in the last year or so - UGH - floors are gone, not worth much of anything.
    4. The blue one doing the burnout belonged to my friend Bobby in Texas (who also had a 73 Laguna Estate Wagon that I now own). It is a matching numbers 454. I should have bought it about 9 months ago when he was downsizing, but didn't act fast enough when he dropped the price. It is now in California with its new owner.
    5. The red 454 listed in the "terrible" ad linked here was previously mine, and still is in the hands of my friend Nick.
    6. My buddy Nick who has the aforementioned rough red one also has a blue 73 SS 350 wagon he bought out of Iowa. it had been on Craigslist about a year and a half ago.
    7. I had also sold the yellow 454 to my buddy Nick when I sold it a year and a half ago. For a while, he owned 3 73 SS wagons - pretty incredible. As of today, I bought back my yellow one to rectify the mistake I made in selling it. I now own the 73 SS 454 wagon, a 73 Laguna Estate wagon, and a 94 LT1 Caprice wagon.

So - as of now, I actively know of 7 1973 SS wagons that I have either owned, tried to buy, seen, or talked to the owners of in the last four years. I'm constantly looking to see if others are "coming out of the woodwork," but haven't seen any new ones in the last year or so.

101Volts likes this.
  5. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

Nice wagons, especially the Laguna Estate, one of my favorites. I do recall another Laguna Estate on eBay maybe 5 years ago. I think it was yellow with a green interior. Wish I bid on it. BTW, is this your car in this link: ? Very nice color combo.

http://www.g3gm.com/t6557-1973-laguna-estate-wagon

101Volts likes this.
  6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I wonder if the vehicle numbers line up with that first posted SS or could it be an SS-badged Chevelle, since it hasn't guages
    The wheels it has are factory originals, if those are the ones you're referring to and shared with other mid-sized Chevies.
    Judging by this image, it seems that the paint scheme on that red and silver one is original:

[​IMG]

101Volts likes this.
  7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I grabbed this pic from somewhere, don't remember if it was posted here on the forum, or if I just took it off the web. Do you know this one, Kyle?
    Chevy Malibu SS wagon 1973.jpg

101Volts likes this.
  8. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

That blue wagon might be the rare 4 speed one for sale maybe 10 years ago for big bucks. Maybe ~30k. I recall the front bumper being a little bent down like this one.

101Volts likes this.
  9. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

101Volts likes this.
  10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the info, sinc! This one was LOADED! (Just how I like 'em!)

101Volts likes this.
  11. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

No problem! I remember seeing a rare tan/brown Laguna Estate back in the 70’s as we drove by in our 68 Chevelle wagon.

101Volts likes this.
  12. kyle1979

kyle1979 Member

Poison Ivy, you referenced the possibility of a clone for that first one without gauges... actually it does have the SS gauges. The SS equipped Chevelles and El Caminos (along with the Monte Carlos) had the round gauges instead of the rectangular sweeping gauge that the Malibus had. Interestingly, no 73 SS wagons had full gauges with the tach, as the wagon gauge cluster had the "Tailgate ajar" light. That light was not available on a full-gauges cluster.
    Here is the SS gauge cluster without full gauges (gas gauge on the large left pod)
    [​IMG]
    Here is the SS gauge cluster with full gauges (tach on the large left pod)
    [​IMG]
    Here is the standard Malibu or standard El Camino sweeping dash
    [​IMG]

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Forum members don't need silly little lights. Instead, we shut our tailgates and break out the tool box, for installing the missing guages our wagons deserve

14. kyle1979

kyle1979 Member

Absolutely, and that's why I have a full gauge set already that I'm swapping into my wagon!

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  15. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

That's interesting about the no Tach on the SS wagons, Pontiac didn't make that distinction as all Leman's speedo's have the tail gate ajar light, My 73 4-speed Lemans wagon has full instruments with the tick tock tack