1973 Chevrolet Caprice Estate

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jul 28, 2014.

1. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here you go. The lower photos are more recent I think. Sent many more, I will post the others later.

[​IMG]

Power windows, power locks, cruise, tilt, A/C, power seat, power gate, 3rd seat, luggage rack, etc. Much higher optioned than mine is, plus it has the 454!

[​IMG]

All of these extra wires worry me... my '72 isn't like that.

[​IMG]

This spare tire well is in MUCH BETTER shape than mine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tires going down and much more fading that it seems before. He said it needed restoration before it could even be a "driver".

[​IMG]

2. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Here are the others...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
  4. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! Interior is more than decent and loaded up, as you mentioned. Here's the thing - all these photos look as old as the original ad, which dates back several years. What does it look like in October 2014? And where has it been stored in the meantime? Inside or outside?

[​IMG]

5. jwdtenn

6. jwdtenn

7. jwdtenn

8. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I always thought that 3K would be a good buy on this one and considering how long it has been available this still could be the case, but even at $3,500 it is still reasonable value. The rust we can see is more than manageable, however what is hiding under those big back windows that really scares me. I would have to look at this one in person.

9. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Also what is up with all those wires under the hood? And why does it look like it has been in a mud slide under there? As I said, need to see this in the flesh before I could make a call on this one I think.

10. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, the engine bay on this one had me the most concerned, all of the extra wires/surface rust. My '72 is all original under the hood, so I don't know if this car has had some wiring issues or what. Typically these cars had excellent electrical systems, as did most all 60s-70s GM cars - much better than Mopar/Ford of those years.

A lot of people comment about being afraid of rust around the cargo windows of the clamshell wagons. It is a very common rust area on these (if the car has came from a high humidity/rainy climate) and my car actually has rust that I can see lurking under the trim that needs to be addressed. I do not know how bad, as I have not removed the trim or windows, but I know the windows leak. My question is, once these get rusty, are these cars basically junk and the rust not repairable? I would think a good body repair shop could fix it up as good as new but I don't know. If they are not worth saving after getting rust on this area, I am really not wanting to put any more $ into mine. I have nearly $6,000 invested in mine and it still needs body work and paint, so weighing my options here.

11. jwdtenn

I'd agree that a close in-person inspection of this one would be the way to go. Body work could turn out very expensive, but it's a rare and loaded up Caprice - I'd hope it would turn out to be worth saving.

12. jwdtenn

13. honesthilb

honesthilb Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Still a decent price. It will sell, eventually.

14. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

If you look close the car's "extra" wires are for the R134A conversion kit and it has a high pressure cut off switch instead of that old style drier/pressure control unit.

15. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It doesn't look too terrible. Yeah, looks like water has been getting in at one time but provided it isn't continuing to, it should be easy enough to save. My '73 was in somewhat similar shape but no window channel rust. Need to see in person and determine how it runs and whether all those options actually WORK or not (nothing worse than windows that don't go up or down, no gauges, etc).

They are repairable... but unless you or your body guy is skilled at fabricating or you have a parts car that doesn't have rotten channels (which makes you question why it was a parts car) then it is a definite labor of love to fix bad window channels. You're better off just yanking the trim off and seeing how bad it is. Definitely do it if the windows leak as it's going to get MUCH worse quickly if you don't. If it's just a little surface rust, it's not too bad to just clean it up and prime it and re-seal the window. If you've got chunks missing, you're in for a world of hurt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]