1972 Plymouth Satellite

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Apr 19, 2018.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Does it have A/C? I don't see a compressor under the hood. He doesn't give a clear-enough photo of the dash to show the heater controls. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't. This was a low-end wagon at the time, and A/C was likely considered a luxury for those in the market for a car at this price level. Everything else is consistent with the low end. It has no power windows or locks, no tilt wheel, no cruise control, no rear defogger, just an AM-radio, plain-jane wheelcovers, not even a remote driver's side mirror, I don't think, and no passenger-side mirror at all. At least it has a luggage rack and rear air deflector, the bare-minimum for a station wagon. I think Mike Brady, high-priced architect that he was, would have sprung for some of these options for his big family or just gone for a Dodge or Chrysler instead.

I know it's correct, but it seems an odd place to put the "fender" script down low on the trailing edge of the rear door on each side rather than on the front or rear fender.

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    So much less to go wrong. It even has only one belt. All eight cylinders are there, instead of six, if you want an option. Even, if it's too small of one.
    The A/C can be added on and if it won't be a Frigidaire anyway, it shouldn't be that inferior to what was offered from the factory, unless one finds a parts vehicle with the original system and dash outlets. If the next owner is somewhat clever, he or she could even manufacture a bracket for holding the Frigidaire compressor.
    The color combination isn't bad, in my view, for being brown. I think, I would have even ordered it that way.
    If it had a big block, I'd almost suspect it of being a government vehicle, being an institutional strip-down as it looks

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

True, but this is the opposite of the usual complaint on here when it comes to options. Most complaints are because there are too FEW options, not too many, especially if the missing options include air-conditioning and power windows.

Adding factory A/C to a car that never had it originally would not be trivial. An old-style aftermarket unit could be added and would look ugly.

5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I like a car without the a/c components. I think it makes for a much cleaner engine compartment. I’m with you ivy. Bells and whistles are just more things that can be broken. That being said, in such a big car some power windows might be helpful during the summer months.

6. just me

just me Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sorry to burst your bubbles, but this would be an 'average' equipped car for 1972. This one has the remote driver side door mirror, fender top turn signal indicators, luggage rack, and 3 speed wipers, none of which would have been on a 'stripped down' version of this car. Strippers would have been radio delete, no rack, no rocker moulding, no disc brakes (could have been added later). Can't see if it had power steering but the electronic ignition is probably a later add-on even though it was optional in 1972. Rear defogger in a wagon would have been unavailable, even the loaded up woodgrain versions would be extremely rare with power windows, locks, cruise control, or the am/fm radio. Those wheelcovers are aftermarket as are the odd colored headlights. The two items that are 'low end' would be the steering wheel and the argent painted instrument surround. A/C in Ohio in a car like this in 1972 would be a NON issue for most people at the time.

7. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The rubber floor mat is kind of meh. Everybody always makes a big deal about PW and PL, but lack of those do not bother me. Neither of our daily drivers have either feature.

Overall I think this is a pretty sharp car. The brown color isn't my favorite. I am assuming the V8 is a 318.