1972 Mercury Marquis Colony Park

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jan 2, 2021.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

60Mercman likes this.
  3. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I like it. I'm never sure about the yellow with green interior. Maybe tailgating at an Oakland A's game.

60Mercman likes this.
  4. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Curious. I have a saved search for Mercury wagons on ebay, and this car doesn't show up on it.

This wagon's pretty loaded for 1972, even for a Mercury. A/T, PS, and PB were standard, of course, but it also shows a 429, AC, power windows, power seat, deluxe luggage rack, and a (presumably) factory stereo. It's even got the "dummy remote" right door mirror, which was a dealer option. Absent are deluxe wheel covers, twin comfort lounge seats, DFRS, and rear window washer.

As to the price, while I admit that overall, it does present very well, I'd have to deduct a few dollars for the bolted-through Mercury shield on the tailgate (if you shop, I think you can still find them NOS for under $100). But it's the underneath that concerns me most. There's a bit of visible rust, and there's at least one area where it looks as though paint or undercoat has been applied over top of what may be rust. If that's the case, it would knock more than a few bucks off the $20K asking price.

5. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes I would say am/fm with the speakers in the rear and the front door panel speakers. Also would say earlier model as the seatbelt warning buzzer would have appeared on the passenger dash on cars made after March? Of ‘72. Nice car, but totally agree about the tail gate emblem. Saw that and was a bit taken aback, as you say I would think since they used that emblem through’76 it should be available, and a much better attachment arrangement as well. Im also a little concerned when I see a wrapped steering wheel. Since this has cruise, it would also have a rim blow wheel. That material tends to soften and crack normally. Would really want to examine that wheel.

6. ctrysquire

Wagon Garage:
    It might have the AM/8-track. I think that was an extremely rare option in '72, but even the AM/FM was pretty rare. I can't tell because the steering wheel hides the head unit in all the photos.

There is something on the passenger side of the dash that might be the seat belt buzzer, but I can't make it out clearly.

You're absolutely right about the wheel. A steering wheel with the rim blow horn and a wrap about cover is suspicious. It's very expensive to repair a cracked steering wheel, and NOS examples are quite scarce and also expensive. Still more bucks off the asking.

7. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    ctrysquire. I absolutely forgot about the AM with 8 track. That certainly is a possibility. The dumb thing is I have a ‘72 Mark IV with AM/8track. In blowing up the picture of the dash I agree with you there is a buzzer warning on the passenger dash. I have a ‘72 LTD convertible, and it is offset to the left. So I believe there is a seatbelt warning buzzer. The other thing I noticed in blowing up the picture is: I was looking to see if the AC was equipped with the Automatic Temperature Control. It’s regular AC, but there seems to be a delightful little chrome button attached to the dash, to the right of the AC controls. You wanna make a bet that’s a horn button? So I’m sure the removal of that wrap would reveal at the very least a non operational horn, and perhaps a missing black center control for the horn. Oh well.... 9994AA2C-2AFB-4D49-BDE4-54E4F0D76CA4.jpeg

Country Sedan likes this.
  8. Mopar wagon Luvr

Mopar wagon Luvr Well-Known Member

Mercman, Beautiful Mark lV ! Hey, just me, or does the woodgrain on this 72 look NON-Original ?

9. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Can’t tell. When I went to visit it again. It said item no longer available. Hope the person that bought it had a really good chance to inspect it.

10. ctrysquire

Wagon Garage:
    Good catch. That's exactly what that button is. I have one on my '97 Tracer. Apparently a previous owner of the Tracer didn't want to fool with the airbag and just bypassed steering wheel horn switch. Obviously, a previous owner of this CP felt the same way about the rim blow horn switch. From what I've heard, they're a bit up there, but not hideously expensive. For a $5K or even a $10K car this might be acceptable, but for a $20K asking price, I'd expect better.

The woodgrain pattern does look a little unusual. The listing is still on ebay.

By the way I consider the Continental Mark IV the most beautiful personal luxury car ever produced, and the '72 the prettiest of those. Only don't you feel that you should wear a suit, if not a tux to drive one?

11. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Good catch on your part. Well actually that’s my neighbors driving my Mark IV. I would have worn a suite, but the car council here had a January white car, car show that was a driving tour from our local museum. If you blow up the picture I actually followed them out of the parking lot in my white LTD Landau. I love following my own cars from time to time. PS I did go back, and yea this is re-listed for the same $20,000. The 12 photos are exterior only, amd in looking at their other listings they have a green ‘72 Marquis Brougham with a missing wheel cover for $15,000 that’s been in their inventory for 6 months as long as I can remember. Think they’re gonna sit on this one for a while too.