1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate 454

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Sep 7, 2015.

1. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

lol I do the same thing

2. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

I actually love the green, and woodgrain cars are just BA. I would keep it, because you will never replace it for what you have in it

Gitsehtmai and Glide-Aways like this.
  3. WagonKiller

Woodgrain looks good. But has a habit of covering undesirable things until it's too late to address it before serious damage. Then when you do address it screws it up.

4. Gitsehtmai

Gitsehtmai Member

A tornado would cause serious damage too! Or a flood. Yeah maybe keep it up on that farm on that gravel road. Probably safe from natural disasters and secret covered hard to see wood grain issues.
    I had a thought if your fixing a car whether it be a clamshell wagon or a 59 Cadillac and you screw it up...maybe fixing cars is not for that person.

5. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Great pic here.

[​IMG]

Gitsehtmai and Glide-Aways like this.
  6. WagonKiller

Well now really? Have you ever tried to fix rust issues under woodgrain? Yup that's what I thought.
    I don't give a flying monkeys azz who you are woodgrain doesn't just fall off. and it's going to screw up if you have to move it out of the way to do a repair. It also harbors moisture with age in certain climates, and that's one of the reasons I dislike it. My last wagon I had no choice but to remove the woodgrain on the whole car. And what I found underneath it surprised me. the car was old man tan and it had freckles EVERYWHERE under that woodgrain. Not bubbles or holes just brown specs in the tan paint(still smooth). pristine on the inner body panels so it wasn't caused from the inside. Any other color you would never of seen it except for white. Just another reason I dislike woodgrain.
    And yea your right fixing cars probably isn't for me yanno just cause I've made a living doing it for 30+ years and all. ROFLMMFAO

7. WagonKiller

12064287_1026013154131443_251188074_n.jpg DSC00380.JPG

Yea your right I have no clue what i'm doing

8. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hmm :scratchchin: ... does the second M stand for Measly or Massive:huh:

Gitsehtmai likes this.
  9. WagonKiller

I dunno does yours stand for meathead or moron?

The Premier likes this.
  10. The Premier

Wagon Garage:
    Touché :clap:

WagonKiller likes this.
  11. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

I agree with WagonKiller. I am almost done with the paint and body on my 76 Estate wagon and decided I'd redo the woodgrain when I first started. What a hassle. The painter kind of rushed me to decide when I wanted to go with a two or three tone instead. Now to put that woodgrain back on is another $200 to $300 for the sticker plus another $500 minimum for a guy to stick it on the car. Yeah it will hopefully look good but I don't think I'd do that again. I'd rather have gone with a three tone like this amazing Buick. Now no woodgrain in the world is going to look better than this paint.

As far as this Chevy goes, a 454 low mile Kingswood is going to be at the top of the value list as far as clamshells go. I'd rather have my Buick but there are just way more Chevy fans out there and you'll always find someone who wants to tow his classic Chev with this mint big block wagon.

Attached Files:

12. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    One thing I have learned is that you will rarely ever get out of a car what you have invested unless you bought it several years ago for basically nothing. I bought my '72 Estate for $4000, then easily have another $2500 put into it (engine and transmission rebuilt, as well as entire exhaust system) and it still needs another $1500 or so for paint/body work to be mint condition (could use new carpeting, but rest of interior is nice). Funny thing is, as-is, I would be lucky to get $6000 for it as-is, but with a nice paint job, it would be mint and I have seen these priced around $10k+, but I would not get anywhere near that for it, which is why I would just keep it. Good luck with the sale, it is a very nice car!

13. The Premier

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Kingswood, I don't think that you are in too deep at this stage. If you do this over a long period and keep everything well under 10k like you are and have, then you will have something pretty special at the end that will be much harder to replace than what you may think. Cheers The Premier

14. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Agreed. These are rare wagons today.

15. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

Wyoming is pretty far away from the salt of the ocean. However, we do get quite a bit of snow out here. To save people time, this car of mine has been garaged for 43 years. Driven by an old lady for 20 years, then an old man for 22 years before I got it. There is no rust. There is spidering of the paint in some areas, so I am not even going to repaint it. This car now has exactly 57,000 miles on it.

Lastly, in a couple of weeks I will jump back on to this forum and add a photo of a brand new 454 crate motor with 500hp I am dropping in it. The car will be exactly the same, only twice the HP. I am keeping the original motor so that in the event I try and sell it again (pulled my craigslist add) I have the original motor to either put back in or include with the sale.