1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate 454

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Sep 7, 2015.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Ad deleted. Looks like this beautiful machine may be sold.

2. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hope it went to a good home.

3. jwdtenn

Yes, this looked like a very good one.

4. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

This car was for sale in Cheyenne for $5500.00. I bought this from the second owner. Since I purchased the car, I have put some money into it because some things just needed to be replaced and serviced due to sitting in a barn for a few years.

All of the belts and hoses have been replaced. New master cylinder, new tires, new radiator cap, new air filter, A/C serviced and Freon charged (blows very cold), transmission serviced, rear differential serviced, new plugs and wires, new HEI distributor (I saved the original distributor and air filter), safety check to ensure she is safe for trips.

The interior is mint. The paint is in great shape for its age, there is some oxidation on the hood and some chips here and there, body is straight. Chrome is super. 56,000 original miles and I am the 3rd owner.

I was contemplating putting a crate 454 with 515HP under the hood rather than rebuilding the numbers matching 454 that is in it because if I did sell it (which I am having a hard time with) I would have the original unmolested motor for that enthusiast that wants to keep the entire car original. So, I have this for sale again, but I don't know if I will sell it.

For doing nothing...I have saved every single receipt I have put into this car.

5. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

So whats it gonna take to buy the car? I have cash in hand. you paid $5,500 for it, and have incurred some expenses. Let me know what you think is a fair purchase price

6. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

NADA guides says average retail is $6,210.00 and high retail is $14,782.00. With this low of miles and the shape it is in, I would venture to say it is closer to the high end. I have it insured through Hagerty and the replacement value they gave to me is $13,000. I just relisted it in Craigslist at $11,000 because that is pretty much the middle between average and high. I put a lot of photos in the add.

Make an offer if you are interested and all I can say is yes or no. I don't think it matters how much I paid for it. What matters is if you, or anyone else for that matter, is happy with what you are buying. I don't need to sell it. I found another car I want and if I can sell this and buy the other car then great. If not, no big deal because this is a nice car.

7. SwannyMotorsports

The market is dropping on wagons. It's a nice car, and your right. It doesn't matter what you paid for it. But I would be a buyer at $8,000.

8. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

I joined this forum because I googled "1972 kingswood estate wagon" and looked at images and found someone had posted a photo of my car after I had deleted the add...no joke! I originally had been looking for a Vista Cruiser because of the windows on the roof but I simply could not find one as clean as this for under $19,000. So, I started looking for either a Ford or a Chevy. I came across this and about pooped my pants because it was in a metal storage barn owned by the 2nd owner. He said he didn't drive it much anymore, getting older and wanted to sell. I bought it. I have put roughly $3300 into it to make it super solid and be able to drive anywhere, not just to get groceries.

I have the original warranty card, manual, even a GM/Chevrolet 1972 add book listing all of their wagons. The add/catalog was printed 9/1971. Still in plastic.

I can't sell the thing for less than I have into it, $8K is less than what I have into it. I just had all of the work done in the past 3 weeks. All of the work I did adds value, it doesn't take away value.

I have only seen one other for sale. Here is the link: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/kingswood/1756523.html

I don't know if the market is getting soft, or just warming up. I am not in a die hard position to sell. If I can't get close to my asking price it stays in the family!

9. SwannyMotorsports

I know the clamshell market well, as does Mike McCoy. I think we will both agree the market has dropped in the past few months. Mike has the cleanest 76 Buick Estate wagon and he was testing the waters at $13,000 or $14,000. He has not had a single call. If you get $10,000 for this car you have done good. Not knocking the car at all, but I guarantee the market has dropped in the last few months

10. jwdtenn

11. Gitsehtmai

Gitsehtmai Member

I agree with the seller...and that is correct they won't be building any more clamshells. I believe the most valued now and future collectable clamshell wagons would also be specifically the ones with the Chevrolet name plate. Between the color combo low original owner and having the 454 I think he's right on point for value. If you have the time to hold it then a buyer will come along. Same is true for Mikes buick IMO. I have had cars that sold in less than a week I thought I would have for sale for months. Just because it's on Craigslist doesn't mean everyone has seen it or heard of it for sale.

12. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

If you want to sit on it it may sell. Just not gonna be an overnight sale. Far as I am concerned the Chevys are more wanted simply because they are stronger derby rides. I'll drive any of em long as it's a clam. Because I can do and use it for what I need/want. Brand has no bearing really. I prefer a poncho,olds,Buick then chevy in that order. would LOVE to have a caddy clam! Personally I wouldn't be interested in this car for $5000. NO OFFENCE intended what so ever. I just loathe green that much. Mileage is no biggie on these as they are like a checker cab and properly maintained will go forever.

Something helpful for you, get better pics in more light. And a pick of the drivers door panel. Seems to be an awful lot of wear on the brake and gas pedal for 56,000

13. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

Luckily for me, I don't need to sell it. It will probably sit on Craigslist for a couple of weeks, if I get low ball offers, I will then pull the add and keep it.
    Thanks man! It is nice. The neat thing about forums in general is everyone has their own opinion. It is a great car in great shape. This is by no means my only way of getting around. When I am in Cheyenne, it has become my daily driver. We have a couple "modern" autos that suit our needs just fine, but man this is just fun to drive.

WagonKiller likes this.
  14. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

Not offended, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mileage to me is a big deal because if you have a car with 150,000 miles on it the interior and exterior will most definitely show the mileage. It may still run like a top, but bet seats are torn or ripped, dash is cracked, steering wheel cracked, stuff not working and a few dents and dings, UNLESS it has been restored along the way.

Mine? 56,000 miles, interior (dash/steering wheel/seats/carpet/headliner/seat belts/door panels) all in excellent shape. Exterior there is no dents, just paint chips, little hood oxidation and that is about it. Emblems/Chrome shiny as day one.

15. josephtessaro

josephtessaro Member

Oh, the gas/brake pedals are just simply dirty, just like the floor mats. I vaccumed but didn't detail the car since I drive it.

Gitsehtmai likes this.