1970 torino - 429

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by purplewoody429, Jan 23, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

So PW....on the Marti report, its most likely a 1 of 1 car on the bottom line, but how many GT wagons were produced? :confused:

2. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum Purplewoody! Beautiful wagon you have there. :Welcome:

3. purplewoody429

purplewoody429 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The GT emblem on the hood was most likely added by the original owner as was the California special emblems on the rear quarters. The original owner worked for a local ford dealer in omaha as the head body man for many years. So our theory is that he added those two items. His wife and son are still living and they agree with the theory. He ordered the car and made changes right away so no one remembers for sure. I like to say they were "dealer added" which is accurate.:) some other unique things done to the are were the addition of an extra 20 gallon fuel tank in the passenger side spare tire compartment which is controlled by a switch under the driver front seat. He also added a factory fuel guage for the 2nd tank which is in the dash opposite the factory fuel guage. They appear completely stock it's cool. They used the car to pull a camper to Oshkosh, WI yearly for the big airplane event held there. They were big into planes as well as cars.

4. purplewoody429

purplewoody429 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you!

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    As for adding little details, i did that to several of my vehicles. On my first 1975 Ford supercab I added small white decals to the small rear seat side windows that said CAMPER SPECIAL. On the 1977 Ford supercab I added the metal TRAILERSPECIAL emblems to the sides. On the 77 ford truck I swapped the entire grille area and lights for 1978 grille/lites. Even the dealer mechanics couldn't tell it from a 78 Ford truck.
    I was always changing little things. My class A motorhome with 7" headlights and a grille that looked like a jail window was swapped for dual Monte Carlo lights and a wide lower grille using ceiling light panels.
    Some people don't leave things stock and it confuses many later who swear it's factory original.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  6. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :woohoo1:Very attactive wagon...:Welcome:

7. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome purplewoody!

8. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's an amazing wagon you have there! Love that color.

9. 210eddiep

210eddiep Member

Beautiful wagon. Man that has every option I would want right there.

btw I painted my 71 Ranchero plumcrazy.

10. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Side ways but looks good.

image_602726.jpg

11. Snakebite70

Snakebite70 New Member

Happy Holidays, I know this is an older thread, but did you ever have this wagon for sale? I have a friend, (a Ford dealer many yrs), message me late in 2016, (he knows I have been looking for another 70' Torino Squire), sadly, I sold an M code cleveland equipped, highly optioned Torino Squire due to a health issue I wasn't sure I'd make it out of alive, so he had told me about your car, and of coarse I looked, everywhere, etc., I found a couple 351 Cleveland 2v cars that were just decent. In the meantime I just bought my best friends oldest brothers 70 Torino CJ four speed car he received as his graduation present, I'm about to begin to carefully restore under the hood, and two small rust issues, until I find another Squire! I also have a two owner 1970 Ranchero GT M code driver hideaways, tach, Air Cond, lots of good options! If you happen to know of another original low mile Torino Squire, I am looking, I would appreciate any help. If your is for sale, I'm not s bargain shopper. I know the rarity and been in this hobby for many years. I am looking for a Torino Squire that will be a keeper, since we got the kids thru college and my health back! Great wagon !
    Chuck
    310-970-4591 work number
    770-714-0487 leave message this number

12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ^^^ Chuck - I do remember seeing pics of another '70/'71 CJ-equipped Torino Squire. I believe the body was brown. I remember it because it was originally ordered and sold from a now-defunct Ford dealer in my area (Oregon). It went up for sale a couple of years ago, and may have ended up in Washington (not sure on this, though). There may have been a Hemmings article on it. I'll do some digging and see what I come up with.
    ..........................................................................................
    EDIT: Yup - article is older than I thought, but here it is...
    https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/m...Mullet---1971-Ford-Torino-Squire/3689701.html

VIDEO!

.............................................................................................
    Here's another one, blue this time. This particular unit was 'built' from a plain Squire - NOT an original 429 Squire. Was supposedly for sale the middle of last year, but the ad is still up. Still for sale?
    http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/ford/171225-1971-torino-squire-wagon-429cj-ram-air.html

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    ModelT1 likes this.
  13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That naughty Ford sold it to them. Well, at least Porsche should be paying those employees well, considering it's in printed paper without precious metal backing (Thanks, Mr. Nixon and cronies). At least, they're not assembling Hyundais or Yugos there

14. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Chuck, I'm pretty sure he was trying to sell it a while back. Seems like he had it on Ebay, maybe a year or 2 ago. I wanna say it was in the low 20s. I'm not sure if he gets on here much, but I've seen him on Facebook. You can probably find him on one of the Torino pages.

15. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :wave:PW429 . your one very lucky Fella thanks for sharing and maybe I am a tad jealous . :cheers: from Downunder