1970 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 455

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, Jul 16, 2018.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I'd like to see more than three photos. Especially for a nearly $10,000 asking price.

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The front clip has been replaced and it looks Bondo-filled. It's probably not a Colorado car

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

There's also a wrinkle in the right front fender. But it's definitely a Royale fender; it would remain to be determined if the car's legit, and not a clone.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

And it looks crappy with the wire wheels.

6. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I don't think I have ever seen a Full Sized Olds of the era with Bucket Seat and a Console, according to the Brochure it has the wiper controls located on the gear Selector, but I assume this car does not have that feature with the floor shifter.
    Some better and More interior Pictures would be nice, you can't make out what options it has.
    According to the Brochure both Strato Bucket Seats, and a Sport Console were Optional on this Model, I wonder if it has the 335 or 390 HP 355? They were the only 2 engines available in this model. Interesting car, but as Ivy has already pointed out I would have to check out the Body and frame in person before spending 1/2 the asking price on this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

This is back pre-'71 when a Royale really was a special Delta. If this is legit and not a rustbucket, this would be a neat find.

They call it a Royale with Cheese....

8. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Desirable Oldsmobile.

9. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Depends on how you define "engine." If talking about displacement, only the 455 was available in the Delta 88 Custom and Delta 88 Royale for 1970. But there were three versions of the 455 with differing carburetion, exhaust system, and/or compression ratio.

On the base Delta 88, there were two engines available based on displacement, the 350 and the 455. There was one version of the former and three of the latter.

This is a portion of the page out of the 1970 Oldsmobile "Performance Teams" brochure.

Capture.JPG

10. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Here's the full 1970 Oldsmobile engine line-up. The difference between the top two engines in the post above is exhaust system. The W33 option had dual exhaust while the L31 had single exhaust. Both featured 10.25 to 1 compression and 4-bbl carb, and both burned premium fuel. The third engine listed for the D-88 Royale and Custom had a 2-bbl carb, single exhaust, 9 to 1 compression, and burned regular fuel.

Capture.JPG

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yup. My '70 Holiday coupe had the 350, and it wasn't anything to sneeze at when I owned it, let alone when it was new. I would've liked a 455, but oh well.

12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If we take your posted chart at face value, it's claimed that the Toronado was available with single exhaust which seems quite oddball

13. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Why would single exhaust be oddball on a Toronado? It was standard equipment or not standard equipment, depending on the year. My '78 has single exhaust.

In looking back through the various sale literature, for the first year Toro in '66, the exhaust was "dual outlet," which isn't the same as a true dual exhaust. Same for '67.

For 1968, if you wanted dual exhaust, you ordered the W34 option. See the Toronado page from the '68 Salesman's Specs Book below. The W34 option was the same in 1969.

n_1968 Oldsmobile Salesmen's Specs-13.jpg

I could go on, but the point has been made. It is not "oddball" that a Toronado has single exhaust.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  14. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Looking further into this, things changed with the start of the 2nd generation Toros. The '71 through '77 models came with dual exhaust standard. That changed for '78 (the year of my car), when only single exhaust was offered.

15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Olds Division must have had a good reason for discontinuing single exhaust on a top end muscle car, after only three model years. It probably had to do with the high cost of manufacturing a single exhaust of which too few owners wanted. I myself would be embarassed, if my neighbor were to park a dual exhaust Toro on his driveway while mine had only single. And if the guy played golf, there would be even further teasing. After three years of parking lot shirt and tie duke outs, it was finally enough