1968 Meteor survivor

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by mvtoolman44, Jul 25, 2023.

1. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    There are several liner products out there with POR 15 being one. The proper application of a liner is tricky and there is always a risk that it doesnt adhere perfectly and causes issues down the road. I have used them on tanks with scale or pinholes in the past.

My tank is not rusted through or showing rust scale at all so as long as it comes clean from the surface rust I will just fog it with some oil to protect from flash rust and run it as is.

2. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I have a 5 gallon bucket for de-rusting small parts but have never tried it backward like this. Seems to be working though. Doing 4 or 5 different positions to have the entire interior of the tank submerged at some point for a few hours. Should be done today.

Grizz likes this.
  3. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well it took a few days but the results are in. Worked like a champ.

After changing positions and anodes this past week, I drained the water and rinsed till the water ran clear. Still had a black coating on the inside walls which I would normally scrub off a part with a wire brush or scotchbright pad but obviously its tough to reach inside a fuel tank. I poured in a gallon of vinegar and sealed all of the openings and let it slosh around while I cleaned the exterior of the tank. Afterward, I pressure washed the inside and it came out fantastic. Sprayed a coat of Gibbs metal protector in there and all is well.

20230820_110832 resized.jpg 20230820_095708 resized.jpg 20230820_110636 resized.jpg 20230820_110705 resized.jpg 20230820_110739 resized.jpg 20230820_110800 resized.jpg

wagoninsane and Grizz like this.
  4. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, it looks really good! Neat trick!

5. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Continuing with the fuel theme, I could not locate a replacement pickup tube. Decided to modify one. pu tube 1.jpg pu tube 3.jpg I also replaced all of the fuel lines hard and soft and added an inline filter just in case. Soft lines were changed to an ethanol resistant variant. Never sure what I may get at the pump. All new clamps as well. fuel line.jpg

6. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Changed out the trans filter and fluid. It actually looked pretty good, almost no sludge in the pan. trans.jpg

7. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Muffler had seen better days so I pick one up and stuck that on. muffler 1.jpg muffler 2.jpg muffler 3.jpg

8. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Shocks were junk. Upgraded to airshocks in the back and some stock Monroe in the front. shocks 1.jpg shocks 2.jpg shocks 3.jpg

9. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    New belts and hoses for the engine. New thermostat. Installed the new distributor and rebuilt carb. Got her to fire and run surprisingly well. belts.jpg hoses.jpg

10. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    The alternator appeared to have been replaced at some point so I let it be. Turns out, it was not charging. Replaced it along with the regulator. Had to clock the alternator but not a big deal. alt.jpg alt clocked.jpg regulator 1.jpg regulator 2.jpg

11. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Initially I sprayed the car with Gibbs oil and wiped it down and it looked great, for a week. This time I wet sanded the whole thing with 2000 and a block and got off all of the old, tired, oxidized, oversprayed, bird dropping covered paint. Then I wiped on a coat of Penatrol. Its been a few months now and it is holding up fantastic. Super cheap and easy to use. Big fan. penatrol.jpg

12. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    The paint looked so good that the wheels seemed out of place. Did a quick rattle can upgrade but will have them blasted and powdercoated when I get the new tires on. I wanted to try a new color. wheel 1.jpg wheel 2.jpg wheel 3.jpg wheel 4.jpg The current rubber looks almost new but is from the 90's and needs to be replaced.

13. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Got her looking pretty good and have most of the major mechanical systems covered. shined up.jpg Took her out for a rip around the block and I have to say, she rides like a dream. Sounds pretty good, smooth ride, hardly any squeaks or rattles. Still plenty to do but a successful first drive. 1st drive.jpg

OrthmannJ and Silvertwinkiehobo like this.
  14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Man, she looks great! Good to hear she's also running decently.

mvtoolman44 likes this.
  15. mvtoolman44

mvtoolman44 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. Still a bit of tinkering on the choke to be done but otherwise runs remarkably well. I plan to peck away at the other issues like opening the tailgate glass and maintenance on all of the window regulators over the winter. Should be a fun cruiser next spring. Much easier to do now that it is mobile and I can pull it into the shop.