1967 Ford Squire wagon restoration

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Dr B Smith, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Dr B Smith

Dr B Smith Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ford Country Squire Roof Rack

Update!
    Its only taken 8 years, but I have finally dropped the very rare original Ford adjustable roof rack off at the Chrome shop http://www.mprefinishing.com/

They did the chrome for all the original door handles a few years back. They are excellent!

I will post up pictures of the finished product when I get them back.

The reason I was finally motivated to get the final parts restored and on the wagon? It looks like the the 1967 Country Squire and quite possibly my wife are going to be extras in a movie being filmed in Pittsburgh this fall. The movie called American Pastoral.

2. Dr B Smith

Dr B Smith Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    After years of searching for roof rack parts I was only able to find NOS roof rack rubber pads for the left and right rear sides of the roof rack. The pads for the front of the rack are different part number so I had to make them myself using the old ones as templates.
    A friend gave me the idea of using a rubber mud flap. I then had to sand the pad down since the originals are wedged to fit the slant to the roof.

Below are the original 40+ year old pads next to the NOS new rear pair.
    Cutting out the home made pads from a new Ford truck mud flap
    Adding the wedge to the front pads

I had the feet, brackets, and other parts re-chromed since these parts are impossible to find. Also this is a rare roof rack since it is the adjustable version and 90% came from the factory with the stationary version.

I was able to find 2 out of 4 new adjustment knobs. I cleaned up my other two for now.

Here are the re-chromed pieces

Here is the before picture of the long parts of the rack. As you can see the anodized portion is in poor condition after 40+ years.

I painted the long part of the rack aluminum color, although originally it was anodized and painted in the middle. I felt this was satisfactory as I have already TOO much into the rack itself.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    wagonmaster likes this.
  3. pvan

pvan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    As always, exceptional work!

4. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

That looks beautiful! Good luck on the upcoming movie cameo! :)

5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Doctor Brian, I just now came across this thread and read it from start to finish. You have done an amazing job with this car. It is amazing how long a restoration can take (at first I thought there must be a glitch when I saw the date from the first post!) but in the end this one truly seems to have been worth it. I hope you and your family continue to enjoy this beautiful piece of Americana. Congrats.

6. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Awesome write-up! I am currently working on my roommate's 1965 Country Sedan. I replaced the rusted tailgate with a new old stock one, but am finding that you just can't get the weatherstripping anywhere. I've resorted to possibly using a garage door seal for an outer glass seal. The tailgate weatherstripping that goes on the body isn't available, either, as are the felts for the inside of the glass and the tracks in the roof.

The fuel filler door seal is also rotten, a complex shape, and no new or used ones are available. It's a real labor of love to restore one of these because the parts are so scarce. Sometimes I throw my hands up in the air and don't know what to do.