1966 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jaunty75, Jul 23, 2017.

  1. Poison_Ivy

    Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

    Joined:
    May 20, 2017
    Messages:
    11,094
    Likes Received:
    3,485
    Trophy Points:
    706
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Feeding effigy ice cream to Dogzilla
    Oldsmobile is responsible for subliminal messaging. In other words, that quadrant in my dad's Olds was responsible for me thinking that I was the super sibling, since I had an older brother. As it turned out, the only thing super about me was that I was the sibling which ended up causing super headaches for my parents.
     
  2. cammerjeff

    cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    5,223
    Likes Received:
    947
    Trophy Points:
    427
    Location:
    Belleville, MI
    The Shift pattern of D S L does not mean it has a TH-350. It indicates it has a 3 forward speed transmission but not what model. I still can not find anything that indicated the TH-350 was produced before the 1969 Model year.

    I remember the switch pitch converters used by Buick and Olds on the BOP 2-speed trans. It did make it feel like you had 3 forward gears. The Torque converter would "switch" from high stall to low stall and it would feel like you shifter a gear, and the RPM of the engine would go down 500-800 rpm, then it would shift into 2nd (high gear) and the TC would stay in the lower stall position. I wonder if the S in the shift pattern would be 1st gear with the TC still in the lower stall position?

    I suspect the TH mentioned in the Brochure you posted is in fact a TH-400 as it makes it seem like that package was only available with the 400 ci engine. But all this is speculation on my part.
     
  3. Poison_Ivy

    Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

    Joined:
    May 20, 2017
    Messages:
    11,094
    Likes Received:
    3,485
    Trophy Points:
    706
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Feeding effigy ice cream to Dogzilla
    Here we go again. Let me go get my popcorn.
     
  4. MotoMike

    MotoMike Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    Messages:
    5,174
    Likes Received:
    123
    Trophy Points:
    188
    Location:
    Newnan, Ga
    YES! Seems like we've :deadhorse: before? Don't know the thread though. Maybe KK can look around in some of his mfr brochures and shed some light on these mid 60's transmission mysteries?
     
  5. Poison_Ivy

    Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

    Joined:
    May 20, 2017
    Messages:
    11,094
    Likes Received:
    3,485
    Trophy Points:
    706
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Feeding effigy ice cream to Dogzilla
    Those alleged transmissions were of false flags types, developed by the Soviets and inplanted by their Lansing-based agents posing as assembly line employees.
     
  6. Silvertwinkiehobo

    Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2014
    Messages:
    14,984
    Likes Received:
    2,995
    Trophy Points:
    720
    Location:
    New Braunfels, TX
    I thought those were posing as the Chevy Powerglide and Ford FMX?
     
  7. Poison_Ivy

    Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

    Joined:
    May 20, 2017
    Messages:
    11,094
    Likes Received:
    3,485
    Trophy Points:
    706
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Feeding effigy ice cream to Dogzilla
    I used to think those things were just Powerglides with non-Chevy boltpatterns cast in. I wonder how many of those innerds will interchange with Powerglide parts.
     

Share This Page