1964 Comet 404 V8, C4 wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by blacksnake, Aug 13, 2010.

1. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Small update

Well I did a little work on the wagon yesterday and will be back at the shop on Monday, this message will be useless as I have no pics, lol. I will get some on Monday, I didnt do alot as i was working on some friends projects too.

What I did was take some of the modern looking pieces from the mustang motor and added an old school touch, (pics will explain). Anyway the crate motor I got for the mustang came with polished aluminum FOrd Racing Valve covers, and I also had a polished oval air cleaner that would not fit the crate motor because of intake. Well I did the unthinkable and roughed up all the polished pieces and painted them universal gold like all te 64 289 motors were, (yikes). They actually turned out pretty good.

Monday i will try to finish the manifold which I will paint silver even though the 64 manifold was black, if I dont like it I will paint it black, after its on motor, lol.

Other things to shoot for is to finally POR 15 the interior of the roof and get it ready for the headliner.

If I have time I will take out the freeze plugs, oil pan and tape off the block and make it pretty black again.

I will try to post pics on MOnday night, have a great weekend, Ryan

2. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Monday Update

Well today i worked all day on the wagon and didnt get nearly as much done as I thought I would, I planned on sealing the inside of the roof with POR 15, paint (clear coat) the valve covers and air cleaner for the wagon motor, clean and prep the motor and get it ready to repaint black.

I ended up painting the lid with POR 15 and I had so much left over I painted the floorboards too. 2 coats about 5 hours apart, in between I painted the valve cover and cleaned the motor and prepped it for paint next Friday, here are some pics Enjoy!!! Ryan

Here is a view of the roof post POR 15
    [​IMG]
    And the floor
    [​IMG]
    HEre are the wheels the painter painted for me to match the stripe on the side
    [​IMG]

And the valve covers that came with the crate motor for mustang
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the motor and freshly painted intake
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope to get movin now on the wagon since the mustang has its new heart and has given her old one to the wagon :)

HAve a good week everyone RYan

3. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Update

Well just a few pics and an update on whats been going on with the Comet, I have refurbished the 8 inch from the mustang, taken all of the front and rear suspension out from the Comet, including all steering link and power steering etc. Basically all of the suspension is out. I was able to paint/undercoat the places that I couldn't get to with the upper and lowers on it.

I am taking the leafs to have new bushings pressed in on Wednesday. And new bearings pressed onto the axles as well. Then hopefully but the rear suspension back on the car asap

I have painted the block (289) and repainted the intake to black. Hopefully I will have the motor back together this week.

I received new upper and lower control arms on Wednesday. I will cut the springs for the front and slip all that together asap. All of the tie rods, drag link etc will get sandblasted and painted tomorrow. So the pictures in the next week will probably be as boring as these, lol Enjoy Ryan

"Kathy" on the rack with no legs
    [​IMG]
    The old rusty 8 inch outa the wagon and the freshly painted from the mustang
    [​IMG]
    Upper and lowers are out, so I painted in the shock tower with Duplicolor Undercoat after a quick sanding
    [​IMG]
    Oh yes and the spindles are all out, sanblasted and ready to re install
    [​IMG]
    Inside the engine bay shock towers
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah i bought another project, I am such a sucker!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    whats the plans for the GAL Snake??(y)

5. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Plans

Well money is trickling in for the completion of the wagon aka "Kathy", so "PLANS" are all I really have for Marge.
    I actually purchased her because I love the natural patina,(and I got a good price) and I will leave her just as she appears on the outside, I am currently looking for a 460 to rebuild. So plans include a rebuilt 460 with John Kasse heads, either P-51 heads or Boss Nine, ideally i want to get at least 700 HP into Marge. I want to stuff at least a 10 inch rim in the rear fender wells and i am not opposed to a mini-tub to stuff even larger tires in there. Probably a built C4 or C6, maybe an AOD if I could make it work, for cruising.....

I will redo the interior back to stock and make it look pretty nice inside, so the wife will ride with me, lol. I may leave the rear seat out to save weight, I am not sure how extreme i will get as far making her fast. I want to put her down the strip to the tune of a high 11 second car but i still want her to be street-able.

Basically I want marge to be a nasty sounding, rusty, nice inside, gigantic car. Probably have a good sound system in there too.

A little info on Marge: She still has the black plates, she was born a galaxie 500, non XL but she did have power steering, a padded dash, AC and a 352 V8 with an automatic trans. She was born Corinthian White with Red Interior. She was built and delivered to Los angeles, been in California all her life, as far as the pan there is no rust except under the carpet near the gas pedal there was a spot of rust but not all the way through, she is a good start............May be a while though, Ryan

6. the Rev

Wagon Garage:
    hmm...i like the way you think Ryan:yup:

sounds 2 fun:thumbs2:

7. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Wagon update

Well today my son went to the shop with me and we got some work done!, Installed new upper and lowers in the fronnt, cut one coil out of the front springs and installed them, put both backing plates, brakes, sway bar and strut rods on the fron end. We then moved to the back, I finally got the new bushings for the rear leafs so we lubed em up and pressed em in with a vise. Then we hung the leafs, put in the rear end, installed the axles with new bearings, slapped on the backing plates as well as the brakes, then the new shocks, basically got her to be a roller by the end of the day, here are a few pics. Thanks Ryan

Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a few after pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

May be putting the motor in next week??? I will keep you posted
    Ryan

8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great job with the details. Thanks for the photos.

Rodney

9. the Rev

Wagon Garage:
    sure is lookin good man(y)

10. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Thanks

Thanks I hope to get to work on her two days this week, Ryan

11. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Sad news

Well i was planning on going to my buddys hobby shop to work on the wagon 2 days this week. I am spending these 2 days with my son who will go back to his duty station in Colorado after this leave (he came home to get married). He will be shipped out to Afghanistan on May 23rd.

The sad news is that my son and my heart are not into going to the shop this week as one of our great friends, Dan Barbee, died unexpectedly in his sleep Sunday night.
    Dan Barbee is the tall gentleman with glasses, grey shirt and dark shorts.

He taught me so much about these early Fords n Mercurys, good rest his soul. Dan was a veteran and a great man.

We may go in and work on "Kathy" in Dan's memory this week. Please pray for Dans family. Thanks Station Wagon family, Ryan

[​IMG]

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    This is sad and close to home for an older guy like me, Ryan. I missed your thread until about 3 days ago and then read it all to catch up. I was thinking how lucky you were when I saw the pic of all the shop guys that you posted back on page 2. Those old guys are a real find. I'll bet the collective knowledge about old cars in that group would surpass the Factory Shop Manuals. I was again pleased to see that pic of those guys reposted again on page 6. Then, I read your text and felt very sad. Dan looked like a good guy. Although his passing is sad and you will miss him, he left you a legacy of his vast car knowledge that will stay with you always. Now, and in the future, when someone asks you a question about their old car...you will picture in your mind Dan telling you the answer in detail and you will be able to help others as Dan helped you.
    You are doing a great job on that resto, Ryan. Stick with those old guys and, somewhere in that wagon, print their names so they will ride with you always.

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your loss with your friend. Thanks to your son for serving and helping to keep all of us safe and congratulations on his recent nuptuals.

14. cadipacer

cadipacer Well-Known Member

I too had missed the thread,, and read all to catch up.
    Very well said by SILVERFOX. Thanks to your Son for his Service.
    Your very fortunate to have this group of friends.
    And your doing excellent work on the wagon,, ( fine choice too)

15. blacksnake

blacksnake Active Member

Thanks for the kind comments!!!! Ryan