1961 Pontiac Safari Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by rrbnut, Oct 31, 2019.

1. rrbnut

rrbnut 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Wagon Garage:
  2. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

He might get it, desirable as the wagon is

3. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Non-original engine which is apparently too heavy for the front suspension. The front end of the car is too low. Maybe that's the look they're going for, but if you really did load it up for a family fun day at the beach, you'd probably be scraping the front bumper on the speed bumps in the parking lot.

00Y0Y_hTpKdfy81q7_1200x900.jpg

00x0x_dUeiS9E0lcF_1200x900.jpg

4. Doghead

Pontiac casted the same block from 1955 until 455. That engine might be somewhat heavier than what was originally dropped in. But not much more. Having an add-on air conditioner and dual master cylinder, the added weight of both still shouldn't be enough for loading down the front springs that much

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I thought that, too. Whatever engine is in there shouldn't be enough to lower the front end. But something is causing it to sit low.

6. Doghead

He might just have cut an inch or so off of the springs, in order to make it look bad @ßß. If it originally had a six-banger, it would have been the old Stovebolt Chevy 235.5 which wasn't that much lighter than the Pontiac eights

7. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

For that price they can't even add a 4th center cap to the non correct rally II's?

As the drivers front sits even lower than the passenger side, I think they just Hot Wrenched the springs to lower the car, the cheapest and worst way to lower a car. I think the

[​IMG]

8. Doghead

It looks like he applied the torch to an extent which would compensate for some skinny runt driver's overweight spouse

9. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Like this 61 but agree that the stance and those wheels are negatives. Seller has NHRA ties so maybe this is a drag racing thing, but my memories of the 60s were that stockers were actually raised in the front to have the weight moved to the back wheels for better traction. Price may seem high to us wagon fans but this is is a fine looking car and a 61 Pontiac in any condition is rare. Can you imagine the asking price if this were a 2dr bubble top withe the same emgine and in same condition ? All academic to me anyway. Checked my MM ticket and zip as usual.

10. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think he’s asking bubble top pricing. Don’t know what a Convertible in this type brings, but he does have a pretty hefty price tag out there.