1959 Chevy Kingswood project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Lisa, Jul 23, 2014.

1. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    We all have our dreams and from the start a total restoration seems easy....... and makes sense. But "life" often gets in the way and the helpers we had disappear. :cussing:
    I like Jairus' plan, but some cars need way too much to be able to keep driving them. :character0182:
    My wagon was finished. Far from perfect but a long distance driver for many years. I let my youngest son replace the cable drive wiper system with a modern set up which led to modern AC/heat, digital dash, and more. Seven years later it sets in it's new too small garage, farther apart and less likely to get finished anytime soon.:oops:

Ironically I discovered too late there was nothing wrong with the old cable and pulley wiper set up that I kept adjusting and rebuilding. The wiper arm ends that fit over those sprockets had worn smooth, letting the wipers move freely, or not at all!:cry::shocked:

Even if you fall behind and run out of time to play with cars, we have the dreams and hopes. So keep dreaming or get out in the shop and do something.:2cents:

Joyflea likes this.
  2. gcperri

gcperri New Member

I am building a 59 Brookwood. I have the same GM Crate Motor (350 330HP) and plan to pair it up with a turbo 3t0 trans. I am needing a wiring harness for the entire car. What did you purchase and use? I am not finding an exact kit but universal ones... Any help is appreciated.

3. Joyflea

Joyflea Member

Lisa , glad to see you back at it . Sorry you had problems with the shop , happens a lot . Can't get on Facebook page , but would love to see progress. Got it painted yet . Been working on my COE every day I'm home . Our wagon is feeling neglected . Blue

4. Joyflea

Joyflea Member

5. gcperri

gcperri New Member

Is there a particular page on the link that I should be looking at... It is 18 pages.

6. Joyflea

Joyflea Member

Just starting the wiring now , pictures in next week or so . Doing big swap meet , PATE , the last week of April. Blue

7. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The only people who might make an exact time and this would be American auto wire other than that I have done my 59 Chevrolet Brookwood wagon twice first time using an easy wiring harness the second time using a painless harness. The painless is a much nicer unit however neither is an exact one of you can order some of the connectors online So you can connect to the factory 14 instance the front parking lights and headlights you cannot replace the plastic plug that was on the inner fender but you can go right up to it or who is the weatherpack connector and put a grommet in that hole. the factory wiring harness on the 59 was a generator so you have to decide whether do you want to keep the generator or Upgrade to an alternator

8. Joyflea

Joyflea Member

Ok , did some research and found a kit for59/60 Chevy . AAW510217 classic update product . May be made by American Auto Wire . Yogis carries them , $585 . Blue

9. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Waaaaaaiiit!!!! I just now found this.. I ignored the kids for about an hour reading this! Looks like it's too late though?. Did the party get moved to spacebook or something?!

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Don't know what happened to her. She was keeping up on posting, then just disappeared.:huh: I hope she reads this, we're all hanging over the edge.

11. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Okay, I am back! Had to log in from my phone because my desktop computer kept giving me "insecure login" warnings. I have kept updates going on Facebook and have an album set to "public." I think if you log in to Facebook and do a search for "1959 Kingswood Restoration" you should be able to view the pics.

12. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Anyway, in recent months the shop finally pulled it together and hired a guy who had many years' experience working in a custom shop. He stepped in and got a lot done, coordinating with the exhaust shop, muffler shop, glass guys. He got the wiring finished, got my tires and wheels on, brakes done, trim put back on. Couple weeks ago the car was taken to the interior guy. I was just there this morning delivering pieces of the cargo decking and interior pieces that the shop had finally gotten painted. Now, I need to figure out how to post photos here from my phone. I'd only done it from my computer before.

13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Your son-in-law has given sensible advice. I'd advise going Bigblock.
    Me would hate to see the bottom line of what you'd have to fork out, contracting all that work to others. Nevertheless, praise for the wagon's salvation.

14. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Some of us... or maybe... just me. Have not entered the spacebook realm...ever...sure do wish I could see some pics:(