1959 Chevy Kingswood project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Lisa, Jul 23, 2014.

1. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    yes they did have factory air
    no that is not a factory in dash but rather an aftermarket unit
    don't waste your time with an indash unit as they roof acts like a giant heat sink. the indash vintage air will cool your chest and down. the roof even with insulation is a giant source of heat. i have the new vintafe air surefit indash unit and an aftermarket underdash. without the underdash the indash can never catch up
    if you want to see an incredible 59 with a straight 6 check out cody wells 59 chevy wagon on the H.A.M.B.

2. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Yikes - hope you were careful to hold on to your toys in that car! :)

My car has the 2-speed Powerglide. Um, so I'm guessing it's not that great?

3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Thanks. I love those taillights, too! Appreciate your weighing in on the engine options... hubby and I need all the information we can get to help us decide what to do.

4. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Thanks for the information. Do you think a white roof will help deflect the heat somewhat? It will be painted the original Snowcrest White. Either way, I'll keep that in mind when the interior is being replaced.

What is the H.A.M.B?

5. 59 wagon man

Wagon Garage:

6. Manderthal

Manderthal Member

The powerglide is a great transmission for what it is. Small and strong. No overdrive of course but if you were never going to leave town it would be a fine choice.

7. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Hey, Manderthal. Nice bike! Does the Powerglide transmission pair well with a V8? I guess if we decide to replace the engine, we'd have to evaluate the best transmission for it. I am pretty ignorant about this kind of thing!

8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    The Powerglide was a dcent transmission in it's day. I've had several cars and a wagon with Powerglide. I rate it one step above the Buick Dynaflow!:oops:

Iffin that were my wagon I'd put a small block Chevy (350) and 2004R auto in it. That tranny is nearly a bolt up. You will only need to move the rear tranny mount back a few inches. The overdrive is lower than a 700R4, it's lighter, and more dependable....This is just my opinion. Others may vary.

There are two types of HAMB. One can be baked in an uninsulated station wagon. I do recommend a white roof. Mine is Nissan superwhite.
    The other H.A.M.B. is a very good large traditional car site. There is also a lot of station wagon info there. Beware nothing newer than a 1965 is allowed and they frown on late model parts so don't mention a 2004R tranny.

9. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

You should also be kind of "open minded" about offensive language on the HAMB. I wouldn't want my grandkids going on there.
    I wouldn't try to use any of the aftermarket AC pieces on your car. Vintage Air will cool your car. It worked fine in my Studebaker wagon. Our system had an under dash, short, long vent system that we were very happy with.
    I can appreciate the comments about keeping it a six cylinder car, but I use my cars on the interstates, and don't want to be the slowpoke in the slow lane. I like to be able to keep up with traffic, get up to speed (or a little over) without any issues.
    When I first built the Studebaker, I put in a TH350 (3 speed automatic, no overdrive) and with the 3:55 rear gears, we were turning too many RPM's and running warmer than I was comfortable with. The first trip after I switched to the 700R4, my wife thought it was a different car, it ran so much quieter. It also was WAY better on gas.
    Like CAT says, you could do a 2004R also, they would both work well.
    Sorry, I'm not trying to dictate how you should build your car, it's yours and you should build what you want...........I just think it's a cool ride in the making and we want to follow along on your build.......and want you happy with the end result. Keep the updates coming.

10. HillbillyHipster

HillbillyHipster Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Was the guy you bought that wagon from named John Manson? I think I know that wagon. John had a band called "Billy Joe Winghead". I had met him and his band at a rock-a-billy weekender in NC.

11. HillbillyHipster

HillbillyHipster Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    He actually still has that band, I have a friend who has a NC based band called the "Trash Hats", and they toured with Billy Joe Winghead a few weeks back.

12. Manderthal

Manderthal Member

Yes the Powerglide will match to most GM engines of the day, including this GMC 305 V6 that I keep talking about. Imagine popping the hood to show this beauty.

[​IMG]
    (Image shamelessly plucked from the internet)

What really matters is what you plan to do with the car when it's completed. Will you be using it locally like the Falcon or taking family trips. The V8/overdrive option will do it all although with slightly less character than a cool built 6.

Also please give yourself lots of credit for taking on this project and having the interest to learn everything you have and will learn. I wish my bride had 1/10th of your interest in anything motorized. Hell if she even says the words Car or Bike I consider it a good day.

13. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Why, yes. That's John's car, and John's band is Billy Joe Winghead. They just got back from performing in NC, I believe. :)

Here's John, talking to my hubs who's on the right, the day we bought the car... I hope he approves of what we're doing to it.

[​IMG]

14. 59 wagon man

Wagon Garage:
    you definately need to be honest with your goals for the car .
    do you want it to be restored to stock? restomod? will you just drive it locally? plan on a lot of highway driving? do you drive 75mph or more ? will it be a daily driver?
    answer these questions and it will help to steer your direction on engine, trans, rear, brakes, steering, etc.
    remember an old car at 70 mph is nothing like a new car at 70 mph,just be honest with your goals and you will be much happerier

15. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Whoa, that is pretty.

You ask a good question - originally I had considered the car to be for local driving; a grocery-getter and for the kids to enjoy riding around in. But if it's sound and road-worthy for longer trips, with a dependable a/c, we may expand to weekend camping trips and the like. Can you visualize it towing a vintage Air Stream trailer?

Thanks for the kind words. At this point, you guys will figure out pretty quick how little I know. That's why I haven't commented in depth to some of these detailed posts about engines and transmissions - I need hubby to come home and translate them!