1958 Country Sedan project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Jairus, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    GOOD NEWS finally worthy of an update on the '58 Surf Wagon project.
    I received and installed an additional throttle linkage 'thingie' required for the Automatic Transmission equipped Edelbrock carburetor throttled Fords. Bolted up like a dream with the kickdown linkage, no worries so far.

Bad news... the new alternator is simply not putting out enough voltage, especially at night when the lights are on. Seems good enough to charge the battery during the day... but with the lights lit the battery runs down and the lights slowly dim. Belt is plenty tight and while running, the Alt should keep the lights bright but they slowly dimmed as I drove home from a long distance errand on Friday. So tomorrow I'll be pulling the "supposed rebuilt" alt and take it back to the shop I got it from.

GOOD NEWS. Got the heater core installed...
    [​IMG]
    ... and hooked up to the system...
    [​IMG]

I GOT HEAT!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

The radiator shop said they could search for the correct 'honey comb' replacement core, but I really didn't care that much. Spent far too much already just getting some basic comforts back to really give a sh.... er, darned, I just wanted warm feet when I drive. And now that is possible.
    Jairus happy.:)
    (Did I mention I got heat? :dancing:)

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Hi Jairus , thanks for the report and the pictures. So, that's all the 58 Ford heater amounts to is the square box hanging below the dash? How many speeds on the fan behind it? Does it heat the interior evenly? How do the folks(if any) in the backseat feel in cold weather? I guess the heater was prolly optional equipment i 58.

3. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Two speeds on the fan and the box you see is the intake. Behind that is a distribution box that deflects air down to the feet on either side with a flapper valve (cable controlled) to change the air direction to the defogger vents.
    The system you see is one of two Ford installed in this era, a recirculation type and a fresh air type which pulled air from the cowl vent area and directed it over the core inside a closed box. There is no rear heat back then on any Ford wagon that I know of. Maybe Mercury or Lincoln?

At any rate this is the standard unit, with the fresh air version the more deluxe option. I have no idea how many cars were equipped with either unit... but I have seen way more fresh air units in surviving cars, with this one being the very first I have seen like mine.

As for heating the entire interior.... the core is the same size as most any other sedan or wagon and I am figuring it will heat the whole interior just fine.

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Glad you got the engine fixed and the heater heating. On our 1955 Chevy wagon that was about the same style and size heater core. I believe most were similar and they worked well. Now have Vintage Aire heat and AC but haven't driven our wagon with it yet. Heats up well sitting in 60 degrees.
    I've driven in Illinois with very little heat in old cars. It ain't fun!:D
    Happy surfin!

5. 67furylongroof

67furylongroof New Member

I agree...last one is best!

Salem, eh? I'm down in Springfield...maybe I'll bump into you at a show.

6. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Fury, we will be at the Albany car show last week of January. Got a booth selling t-shirts under the "Rat Hole Customs" banner. Not sure if I will drive the wagon or not as I have yet to get the wiper motor rebuilt. If it even smells like rain the ol'longroof stays at the curb and I borrow wheels. But... if you go, look me up please. Be nice to meet another Station Wagon Forums.com member.

Update: got the Alt. tested today and it seems to be okay. So I am taking the whole car down to Wayne Parkers Auto Electric on Thurs morning and see why the battery runs down when the headlights are working. Sure was nice driving it today with warm air flowing over my Chuck Taylors!
    [​IMG]

7. 67furylongroof

Sounds good... what's the name of the show, so I can find it?

8. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  9. 67furylongroof

Thanks for info...I'll be there! Missed it last few years...

10. MotoMike

There's not a separate voltage regulator somewhere on that car is there?

11. 67furylongroof

I'm not sure...I need to get a shop manual if I go any further. The starter solenoid looks just like the one on my '60 Fury.

12. MotoMike

I was actually talking about Jairus' Ford having a separate voltage reg. Might be part of his charging problem.

13. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mike, I don't know. The car originally had a generator and that was replaced when the guys installed the 390FE motor. The new voltage regulator looks brand new and is riveted closed so no adjustment. Car sat for 2 weeks a short time ago and started immediately so the battery is fine. Only time I find a problem is when I drive long distance with the headlights on which suggests the Alt is not putting out enough juice to power everything and keep the battery up to snuff. The guys (Battery Exchange) I bought the rebuild from said they tested it and it was fine...

Wayne Parker Auto Electric is the best in the business and they agreed to look at it on Thurs. morning so we will go from there...

14. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Update: The wagon is currently in professional hands. Be done in about 2 hours and going to cost me $200. to have them fix all the wiring errors. Mark at Wayne Parkers Auto Electric said that when they put in the new electrical system some of the wiring connecting the old system to the new was hooked up incorrectly. Plus I installed the electric choke on the Edelbrock to the wrong points... plus that nagging "GEN" idiot light kept bugging me so I pulled the bulb a while back... which messed up the Regulator.

Mark said that it was all fixable and I get to pick it up soon. Just biding my time down at Supervinyl Graphics using their computer for a few.

By the way, I got my partner in crime Mark Adams of "Rat Hole Customs" to join Stationwagon forums. His wagon is a neat ol'64 Belair wagon which we used to drive t-shirts to car shows during the early part of 2011. Now we use both cars.
    Mark's handle here is "Big Cheese". Welcome Mark! :Welcome:

15. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Update: All done and works perfect!
    [​IMG]
    Doesn't look like much but now the "Alt" dash light comes on till the engine is running and will notify me when the system is not being charged, just like it is suppose to. Turn signals work normally and headlights are bright! No more run down battery problems... whoohoo!

Justin, the expert, replaced the regulator and even replaced all the wires with the correct colors to match Ford colors so any mechanic (not me) would know which was what.

Onward and upward! :cheers: