1958 Country Sedan project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Jairus, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, guys I am done for the night. Got her all buttoned up again and running. But the timing is off one tooth and the water outlet neck leaks like a sieve. Been working on it all freaking day and the back hurts!
    Starting on it again tomorrow after first service, but for now it's drinks and then bed. :)

Dave, I already have a plan going here regarding the wipers. GET IT REBUILT!

The car should not require band aid's to make the stupid thing work when no such 'fixes' were required back in the day. So.... to that end I will do two things.
    #1 get the motor rebuilt by a pro.
    #2 install a vacuum chamber with a one-way valve to provide a back up when vacuum is low like when the throttle peddle is floored or climbing a hill.
    Night guys!

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Night Jairus, we'll be pulling for you to get it finished up tomorrow. (y)

3. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, she's back together and runs great but I can't get her too hot just yet. The darned outlet elbow just would not seal up. The aluminum elbow was a bad casting that had voids in the top and bottom. Tried to take them out on the belt sander but that only reduced the inset required for the thermostat. So ultimately I ended up hitting Knechts for a new one along with a new thermostat, oil, antifreeze and radiator cap.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow hope to reinstall the kick down rod as it pretty much fell off the tranny while installing the new manifold. Must have been held on by a toothpick!:cheers:

4. MotoMike

Looking good there Jairus, are you going to do a modern master cylinder sometime? That one looks....scary,lol.

5. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Someday... maybe. :162:

6. 73super

73super Well-Known Member

MORE, MORE, MORE!!!! :bouncy: Amazing how much in common our projects have (mine is a '58 Chev). Also the idea for paint scheme.. been playing with tiki/surf wagon.. like your wood grain ideas... wipers, intake, scary master cylinder....yadda, yadda.. all things I'm going through right now... I'll have to post my project soon.

thx for the motivation! Let's get that thing up and running! :yippee:

7. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, motivation seems to be my problem right now. After 4 days I have run into so many problems that the car is sidelined for a week. I got work to do and cannot spend any more money and time working on it. But glad that I have inspired you. :)

While I got it up and running and it runs like nothing I have ever experienced before...
    VERY powerful and quick for its size. But the valve covers leak, the manifold to block seal leaks, the new radiator cap lead to blowing a hole in the radiator core and I can't seem to find a place to attach the kick down rod. (Wrong linkage set)

For now the car is locked up and at the curb while I get some of my work projects out of the way and contact a few deadbeats who owe me money. (its a bitch being self employed)

I'll post updates later... but going to need help re-sealing that manifold as it weighs about 90lbs alone! Happy Monday guys.:oops:

8. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I had the expensive silicone gaskets on my 302, and they leaked like a sieve. Went back to Felpro cork gaskets and Permatek Orange sealer and dry as bone. No more rubbers, mean more Lube where it counts! :evilsmile::biglaugh:

9. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Ditto, cork is so much better. But you have to take the time and make sure the covers are straight.

10. 73super

Been quiet here for awhile... so I thought I'd throw this in. My personal taste.. just mine.. don't be nailin' me for my own thoughts here.. It's just that if you're going with a black paint job.. rather than satin or rattle can... don't you think that a nice glossy black paint job with that wood grain as contrast would really kick it up a notch? Just throwin' that out there. No slam to the suede kings.

11. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's been quiet because I spent 4 days changing the manifold only to find oil leaks everywhere and blew a hole in the radiator! The car is at the curb right now and the temp outside during the day manages only a couple of degrees above freezing! I can't drive it and don't want to work on it in this weather. So I bum rides, and just working my ass off making some money to get stuff fixed.
    Being self employed means when I work I make money, and when I work on the car.... I spend money.

As for paint, nothing is decided yet. The blue is kind of growing on me, however no cosmetics programs will move forward until I get more of the mechanicals in better working condition.
    BTW, heater core is going down to the radiator shop for hot tanking and pressure testing today.

12. 73super

.. Yeah I know.. every payday I try and do a little something and even tho' this is totally coming at the wrong time.. there's a nice set of ralley wheels and tires that I cannot pass up on.. so I'm buying them tomorrow.. even tho' I should be waiting and putting more $$ into Christmas gifts... I guess.

I totally feel your pain with having to wait on weather and $$$... wasn't that long ago I was in the same boat. Now I have a shop to work in and I never forget how thankful I am to have a place that's dry and warm to work in. I feel your pain!... but I know you'll move forward and it's going to end up drivin' and lookin' great! Hang in there! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

13. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    OKAY! Today was a good day.
    Son-in-law Jeremy Sullivan came over today and starting at 8am we pulled the motor apart again and re-sealed the manifold and put new valve cover gaskets in. By 2pm we were done (After a quick two hour run to the auto parts store to get replacement push rods as two were found to be extra worn.) and the motor was then buttoned back up. Set the timing and went for a cruise! Success! It runs and drives and sounds great (even got rid of that tiny little ticking sound.) with no oil leaks that I can tell. (so far)

Later this week I'll be taking the heater core to a local radiator shop for fixing. If they do a good job I'll let them do the radiator next. But I gotta' have heat!

The Surf Wagon is back on the road!:dance:
    [​IMG]

14. MotoMike

Cool beans Jairus! :clap:

15. 73super

Awesome... great looking ride! :thumbs2: