1958 Buick Caballero

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by jmt455, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo The Lost Lamb

Oh, I remember those "laying on my back across the bench" days, working on that one customer's '55 Star Chief; to date, that has been the most satisfying customer car project I have ever worked on.
    That dash certainly looks like it would control a Buck Rogers spaceship, doesn't it?

2. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep, it's definitely a great example of "jet Age" automotive design!

3. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Lots of updates this week; I'm catching up on recent progress.

I found an original brake line on a car that was being parted out locally.
    I didn't think it looked like an OEM piece, but a google search and some bookwork made it clear that this was the correct part.

I took my time and used a tubing bender plus a few different diameter pipe fittings and even a 3.5" diameter resonator case to make the proper bends; came out pretty good.
    [​IMG]

I had a professional glass installer come over to install the windshield.
    He filled the glass channel in the rubber gasket with bedding compound and laid a bead of bedding compound into the glass channel on the body. He inserted a cord into the pinch weld channel of the rubber gasket; the ends of the cord were positioned at the bottom, center of the windshield and taped to the inner glass surface.

Here, we are setting the windshield in place. You can see the cords taped to the glass.
    [​IMG]

That began a lengthy process of using the cord to coax the rubber channel over the pinch weld flange, while continually positioning the glass into its correct position.
    [​IMG]

Here's the end result:
    [​IMG]

Now I get to install the moldings.

While the installer was here, we test fit all the flat glass into the appropriate channels and I bought enough glass setting tape of the proper thicknesses to install all the door and vent window glass. I also got enough bedding compound to install the quarter and liftgate glass. I plan to tackle those pieces myself.

With the windshield installed, I moved on to installing the front inner sheet metal and the engine compartment wire harness. I started on the driver's side, since most of the harness and the battery are on this side. First piece was the inner wheelhouse, along with the core support extension.

[​IMG]

The +12V junction block and the main section of the engine and lighting harness are resting on the inner side of the wheelhouse.The new master cylinder brake line fit perfectly.
    [​IMG]

Retaining clips aren't installed yet, but the harness length and fitment looks great.
    This is the headlight and horn connector on the left side of the core support.
    [​IMG]

More soon!

fannie and MotoMike like this.
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo The Lost Lamb

Very nice. I've used the 'cord' method of installing flat glass in pickup cabs, but never a windshield. That was experience at its finest. Oh, and excellent job on the brake line. It's funny how we look at things that don't look quite right, but they are the way they are because an engineer had to make it that way. I think in that instance, it's the fact those older frames flexed, so having the bends and the curl allow it to move with the flexing.

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy The crazy kid in the sandbox

That vacuum booster looks brand new, unless I missed something. Did you sandblast the old one, to get it to appear that way or are new units still available?

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Well-Known Member

This looks stunning!
    [​IMG]

And I love seeing your "helpers" pitching in on the project (y)

[​IMG]

I must admit, every time I see "1958 Buick Caballero" pop up in my IN box I get excited. I always look forward to your updates.
    It's going to be one magnificent automobile when you are finished. :bowdown:

Cameronscott99, fannie and MotoMike like this.
  7. Poison_Ivy

I do, also, as long as they don't resemble Cheech or Chong. Speaking of them, I hope those kids aren't getting buzzed by any fumes emitted from that adhesive

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Joe, do you have a list of the options this car came equipped with new?

(I got to make an appt with my eye doc for some sort of safety shield glasses to keep my eyeballs from popping out of my head every time I look at this car!)

[​IMG]

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  9. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a 1958 booster from a parts car. It has been cleaned (glass bead blasted) and plated to match the original finish, then rebuilt with all new seals and hoses, along with a new master cylinder shaft kit.

Nope, the grandkids aren't around when any volatile cleaners, paints or adhesives are in use.
    However, I can't speak for those two characters in the body shop.

MotoMike likes this.
  10. Poison_Ivy

Yeah, they look like types to suspect, when adhesives mysteriously go missing
    That's a good idea, before you end up having people write songs about you

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    MotoMike likes this.