Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by jmt455, Aug 5, 2014.
Love the picture!
I found the mirrors at the Buick National meet earlier this year.
The reflectors didn't require stripping, only cleaning and re-coating (vacuum metallized aluminum)
The cost was about $150.
Looks like all of the little details are going to make this an outstanding automobile once it's completed.
When you had your reflectors metalized did the company say anything about doing any "in chamber top coating" to prevent the aluminium from tarnishing?
Kev, I didn't remember any discussion about the top coat, so I asked Frank Chester at Vacuum Orna-Metal. Here is his response:
You’re question is a good concern.
Our process includes a clear top coat over the aluminum deposition that seals the al which was spec for these parts.
Today’s reflectors have a in chamber top coat.
You should be good for another 50 years
Thanks for your question!
I was very happy to see Frank's response.
That's good to see, I'm familiar with the coatings since my day job is in auto exterior lighting design & manufacture so I deal with this every day. Oh joy......
Frank don't play! And neither does Joe!
Hey Jmt455, you know what would look great parked next to this wagon? A 56 4 door hardtop Roadmaster.
I know a guy who is selling one.
That WOULD look great, but I've got two more project cars lined up after this one.
Well, It sounds like you have your hands full. Judging by the work you have done on the 58 the others will turn out amazing as well. I hope the Roadmaster finds a home with someone as dedicated and passionate as you.
Awesome results , its been a while from Dounder
November 13, 2017 update
It's been a busy few weeks...
Ever since adding fluid to the Dynaflow, it has leaked from the tailshaft extension housing.
Talked to Jim Hughes (he rebuilt the transmission for me) and he had a ready fix.
He sent me a pair of O ring seals to replace the exisitng seals that were installed on the front and back sides of the bearing retainer.
The repair was fairly simple and it has fixed the leak. Thanks, Jim!
I then wrapped the chassis to protect it from dust and overspray during the painting process.
Late in October, the underbody was sprayed with a BC/CC replica of red oxide primer. It looks correct and will be easier to clean than primer, with the added advantage of having a non-porous surface finish. Turned out great...except for the heater hose clamp I forgot to remove before the paint was sprayed. Guess I'll be re-doing that one in black next week...
We re-installed the body on the frame.
Next, the fenders and hood were hung and gapped. Still a little work to do on the right front door alignment, then on to paint.
Daniel (left) and Don are excited to see this one done!
Here are a couple of spray-outs of the Garnet Red exterior color.
The headlight surrounds are still wearing the original lacquer paint. It was cleaned and polished for color-matching.
This is going to look great!
Back at my garage, I welded up the small pinholes I discovered in the heater core housing.
Using a touch of filler to smooth the area before painting.
There are so many things still to be done!
I removed the foam and trim from the dash pad. I will repair the rust damage on the metal core before shipping it out for new cover and pad installation.
I found several recommendations for RD Autoline in Sweden. They have already made the correct part for 58 Buicks.
Here's a photo from their product gallery:
Brake pedal assembly was disassembled and bead blasted. The painted parts were painted satin black and the bare steel parts were plated with clear zinc. There are nylon bushings in every pivot and every bushing was in perfect condition!
20171101_132510 by 2manycars2littletime, on Flickr
Here it's nearly finished; mocked up and waiting for a few plated parts:
20171111_141900 by 2manycars2littletime, on Flickr
Body work is done and I expect to see paint on the car by the end of the week. Exciting!
Thanks for the update!
The details are what is going to make this car stand out. Everything is looking great.
I have been there before myself. I bet the anticipation is killing you.
I'm looking forward to seeing it.
YES! That garnet red is a great color for these! TY for the detailed update and pictures!
November 24, 2017 update
Well, I was overly optimistic. The car did not get painted 2 weeks ago, but the doors, tailgate and hod got painted on Wednesday, the day before US Thanksgiving:
I think the color looks great!
Back in my garage, I continue to rebuild, repair and prepare parts for assembly.
Here is an assembled, rear-view, fender-mounted mirror. I think these are SO cool.
I made patch panels to replace the rusted sections of the instrument panel pad carrier:
Patch panels clamped in place and almost ready for welding
The seat covers and door/quarter trim panels are in typical "desert" car condition.
Brittle vinyl, separated seams and shrunken parts are making it quite challenging to get good sew patterns.
Tail light lenses cleaned and polished, getting ready to install new sockets for the tail lights and backup lamps.
Heater control lenses were disassembled, old paint removed, repainted, polished and re-assembled.
Here are the polished lenses before assembly: