1969 Caprice Wagon Idaho

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by cammerjeff, Nov 3, 2012.

1. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

2. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    First of all, Chevy never made a SS Caprice.
    so the badges are homemade

This one dosent have the hideaway headlamps.

The car was most likely born with a 327 or a 350. Today its got a 454 in it.

The guy is a idiot for asking so much for a frankenstein car

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

I kinda like the car. Yeah, its not original, not intended to be. Even X knows the 454 didn't appear in the Chevy lineup before 1970.

4. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Forever: Unless I am mistaken, the hide away headlamps were an option on the Caprice. Either way, the Caprice did use a different grill pattern than the Impala. It may well have original SS badges from another year or model, but that doesn't mean they are home made. All in all, a solid looking wagon, and if the 'cloning' was done well, could be a great car to own.

5. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mike what I ment was that chevy never created an SS Caprice. Maybe I shouldn't have said home made, but certainly not stock. The hideaway headlamps were an option on the Caprice. I love them. They never came even as an option for the Impala. They were only avaible for the Caprice for the 68 and 69 models. About 1200 Caprice's got them. Some were the Caprice wagons and Caprice Estate Wagons. The Caprice was and still is the high end car for the Chevrolet lineup and like its brother Impala, it could be had with a 427 motor. The 454 had not come out yet in 1969.

6. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    I've heard tell there's some 68 Impala SS 427's out there with the hideaway lamps.

7. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The swap out the front clip. Impala and Caprice are the same car. I have a neighbor that has a 68 Impala SS convertable. The cars got the higher horsepower 327 in it. He bought the car brand new off the lot. Hes been loooking for a 68 Caprice with the hideaway headlamps to swap the front clip with. The holes are all there, the holders for the air lines are all there and the mounting for the air tank is there. The original idea was to find a junker Caprice , a Caprice 4 door, a caprice wagon or a Caprice estate Wagon and change out the front clip. Then sell the Caprice with the Impala front end on it. But thoes Caprices are getting harder and harder to find at a reasonable price. Im helping on the search. Hoping to find some basket case Caprice between 2000-3000 dollars to gut but no luck so far. I think the hideaway system makes the 68 Caprice look more agressive. Some broker here has one, a 68 Caprice with a 396 in it. Has the hideaways even. But my neighbor refuses to pay 11K for a 68 Caprice. Even if it is a cherry condition car.

8. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    I've done a little homework on the SS427's and the option was available on them.

9. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yea the Caprice could be had with the 427. Posi traction , even a tach on the dash. They were sleeper cars.

10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just looked this up. The '69 big Chevy brochure only mentions the 'SS 427 equipment package'. http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/chevy/69chevro/bilder/12.jpg

It doesn't specify which body styles it's available (or not available) on. It doesn't state anything about whether you could get 'SS equipment' with another engine. I'm not sure I've ever seen any '69 big Chevy SS, let alone a wagon version. In this case, I don't think the brochure tells the whole story.

11. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    They didn't make SS wagons. What I was saying was that hideaway lamps were available on SS427 Impalas, not just Caprices.

12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK, CE, I wasn't reading clearly. Makes sense now.
    Also saw in the brochure you could actually get headlamp washers, and that 'liquid tire chain'* stuff as an option as well.

* Bottle of de-icer that sprayed out in front of the tires when you pressed a button apparently.

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Yes indeed! The Dr.'s wife in our neighborhood where I grew up had a 68 SS427 Impala convertible, blue with a white top, and I'm pretty sure it had the hideaway lights. :thumbs2:

14. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Lucky lady. My Grandpa bought a '68 SS 427, hardtop, black vinyl, and ash gold in and out, in 1969. My dad bought it from him and had it 'til the early 80's. I wish I had that car now!

15. Forever-27

Forever-27 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The hideaway setup on a parts car Caprice, when I was looking on ebay sells for up to 2500 dollars for just the front clip. Thats the grill, the hideaway doors, the air lines , the air tank and mounting brackets and the switch from the dashboard.

I saw this from a 1968 Caprice. There was sum 21 bids on it at the time.

That hideaway setup itself alone is golden and makes it worth buying a Caprice parts car or wagon if its one with the hideaway setup. Ditch the car, sell the hideaway setup, make your money back and more.