engine swap help....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Hfab5, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Hfab5

Hfab5 New Member

Sold my Ford that my brother and I was working on, now I have a '62 chevy(rot box)that was free, so I couldn't pass it up. The rockers and gate are good, along with the frame, but it has no motor or tranny. I have a 90 caprice beater(305/OD) low miles and runs great. My question...what ALL would be involved(needed)in putting that engine in the 62?
    Also, would it be easier to keep the FI or easier to swap to a carb? Thanks for any help.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Whether you go to carb or install EFI, that's up to you. But you are in luck: everything you need to install the engine itself is soooo easy, especially if the wagon already had an SBC in it. The only things you'd have to deal with on the trans are the crossmember and the driveshaft. If the car had an SBC, all you do is use the original part number engine mounts; they bolt right up. The newer ones may also work. For the accessory drives, you can use the original bracketry; it all bolts up, no problem, but you can also update to a serpentine system. It's been discussed before on here, if someone can post it up.

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    If it were mine I'd drop everything from the 90 caprice beater(305/OD) into the 62 and use the wiring, computer, and all. Even the radiator if it's okay.
    Most likely you will need another drive shaft and move the cross member back. Leave everything on the engine as is for the 90.
    Use a modern external electric fuel pump, new high pressure fuel lines, and return line.

4. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If you want easy then run the carb setup. Keep in mind the TBI will need a steady 15psi of fuel to run properly. It has been a loooong time since I've looked at a TBI setup, but I don't think there are any return lines going back to the tank.

5. shmiv

shmiv New Member

Wagon Garage:
    There is probably someone who who has an early small block trying to fit it in something with TBI. The intakes need modification to mount a TBI intake to a pre 86 engine. Advertise for trade TBI 305 for carbureted small block and see what happens. Hopefully it will be complete including all pulleys, fuel pump, carb, distributor and exhaust manifolds. If you want it real simple trade the tranny for a power glide, 350th or if it was standard there are lots of 3spds out there. This would be the cheapest and easiest way to get the car going forward

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Since so many are updating older SBC engines to serpentine pulley system and TBI it makes sense to leave the 90 engine as is and just use all of the computer garbage and wiring in the 62.
    There are voluumes of how-to stories in magazines how to do these swaps.

If i were doing it I'd set the later engine and tranny in then call my son.............. HELP!

7. Hfab5

Hfab5 New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I was looking at the 305 and ALL the smog equipment chevy put on there. Was thinking about just swapping in the tbi if that was easier, but all that wiring:49:...looks like a big job. So if the engine and tranny will fit, love that. I'll just try and NOT cut any wires just in case that tbi wins me over. But a carb setup seems a little easier. Thanks again guys.

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    The wiring needed for the swap has sending units and plugs that only fit those sending units and modules.
    Not sure but since it's going into a 1962 the smog crap may not be needed. I'd drop it in and hook up what I could then read up or ask around for help.
    For a lot of money there are plug and play kits for sale with all directions.
    Also depends on your state inspections and things like that.

9. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would run the od from the newer car,if it is a 200r4 it may bolt right up to the crossmember , not sure about the driveshaft, worst thing is i would need to be shortened. Use the later model brackets and you can adapt the ac. Comp to a simple under dash unit and you can adapt the power steering. The intake is a vortex style probably and there are plenty of carved intakes and you might be able to use the dist. If it is an hei

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Wouldn't a 90 have the 7004R or maybe a later electric controlled tranny? Those are both larger and longer needing the tranny mount moved back and a shorter driveshaft. Maybe wider tunnel. Even the 90 driveshaft may fit.
    Using a 200R4 the cross member needs to go back a few inches and a shorter drive shaft. This is all minor.
    For sure I'd use the serpentine drive and HEI.

11. 59 wagon man

Wagon Garage:
    700r4 is longer but the 200r4 is supposedly the same length as a powerglide or 350

12. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Depending on short or long tail th350. It is a pretty straight forward swap and you have a donor car for brackets and stuff.
    Not sure if the '62 had the front motor mounts like the tri fives but you would be much happier with the side
    "Clamshell" style motor mounts, they keep from motor flexing as much when it torques over. You can pick up
    a used intake for a carb on CL for $125 or so. Just my opinion, good luck with the swap.

Dennis

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    You are correct sir. However the tranny mount is roughly 2" farther back meaning the cross member needs to go back that far. No big deal except maybe it will need notched for dual exhaust.
    I'm pretty sure that after 1957 the small block Chevy went to the side motor mounts. The only thing different than swapping another original engine/tranny is the extra wireing to make the modern engine work. From what my son says there are really only a few extra gizmos to hook up like the computer and some sensors.
    Rodders have been known to spend $2000 to convert carburated engines to the modern injection so why not take advantage of it free while it's there?

14. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've done a V-8/TH 350 swap into a '62 that previously was a 235 6 w/powerglide.

With the correct perches the engine goes in like it grew there. The transmission linkage is a problem as all the shifters are intended for the two speed slip-n slide Powerglide. My foolish teenager solution was a floor shifter. I'm sure there is a simple modification to the original column.
    You'll also be faced with the rear trans. mount not working, not so big a deal with a ladder frame but yours is the X type so do some measuring or perhaps an older three speed tranny.
    Your post just brought back visions of that '62's dashboard, my favorite part of it.
    Good luck

15. 59 wagon man

Wagon Garage:
    check out the bolt in crossmember offered for the 700 r4 . may give you a good idea on what to do