Another 67 Belvedere wagon

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Jim 68cuda, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

So, I may be crazy, but I did it again. I bought another 67 Belvedere II wagon. My existing wagon that I bought sight unseen years ago from a member of the Station Wagon Forum has a rebuilt motor, working a.c. and is probably as reliable and trouble free as a brand new car. But, while it doesn't have alot of rust, it does have rust in difficult to repair places (most notably the window channels for the rear side glass).
    So, I have always kept an eye out for a more solid body. In April I ran across a partially disassembled wagon on the Kansas City Craigslist. After obtaining alot of pictures, I again pulled the trigger on a car, sight unseen.
    Today this wagon arrived. After sorting through all the parts crammed inside the car, I have found that it's very complete. As for the body, it appears to be very straight and solid. There is body filler plugging a small rust hole at the bottom of the spare tire well in the right rear quarter panel (alot less than my other wagon though), and a rectangular patch will be needed on the inside of the tailgate, and a repair on the passenger side cross member (reproduction pieces are available). Otherwise, the entire car is super clean and solid.
    The original plan was to take the entire drive train out of the existing (reliable) wagon, and putting the long dormant drive train from this wagon into the old wagon and then selling it. But, if we get this motor running, we may just leave the other wagon alone. In that case I'll probably sell the old one as is.
    It did come in handy having another wagon on hand to help identify all the loose parts stuffed inside the new wagon.

DSCN1003.JPG DSCN1024.JPG DSCN1021.JPG DSCN0985.JPG DSCN0992.JPG DSCN0981.JPG DSCN1023.JPG DSCN0970.JPG DSCN1002.JPG DSCN0971.JPG

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Definitely keep the old wagon around, as a reference. When has a restoration ever had a complete car to be referred to? Then, once the resto is more or less on the way to complete, go ahead and sell the old one. But scoring that wagon is aces. Enjoy!

Jim 68cuda likes this.
  3. rrbnut

rrbnut 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Wagon Garage:
    congrads on finding that 2nd one!

Jim 68cuda likes this.
  4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Are they BOTH 'Belvedere II' 's, Jim? For some reason, I had thought there was a 'Satellite'-level trim for this year, thinking 'Belvedere I, Belvedere II and Satellite as the 3 levels, but the brochure indicates the levels were just Belvedere, Belvedere I, and Belvedere II. No 'Satellite' level until the next year then........

5. Jim 68cuda

Yes, both are Belvedere II wagons.
    In 65-67, the Satellite was the convertible and 2 door hardtop bucket seat console model. Below the Satellite was the Belvedere II as the nicest of the bench seat models. The Belvedere II was available as convertible, hardtop, sedan and wagon. Then there was the sedan and wagon Belvedere I as a lower trim level (think taxi or police car). Then in 67, there was a totally stripped base Belvedere wagon created specifically to replace (in terms of price) the Valiant wagon discontinued after 66.

In 68, the bucket seat Satellite became the Sport Satellite convertible and 2 door hardtop. A fancy Sport Satellite 4 door sedan and wood paneled Sport Satellite wagon were added to the line. The next trim level down which had been the Belvedere II, inherited the Satellite name in 68. The Belvedere I then dropped the "I", and became Belvedere in 68.

6. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Congrats and good to see the old girl is still running well.

Jim 68cuda likes this.
  7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Congrats Jim. I must admit I am slightly peanut butter and Jealous of you and your collection. Good luck figuring out what to do going forward.

8. Jim 68cuda

Thanks. We're going to try and see if the engine will start. I know it was last started in 2005 after years of sitting dormant. Regardless of the outcome, we'll be pulling the motor, and then the body is scheduled for a trip to the body shop in late July.

Silvertwinkiehobo likes this.