1958 Country Sedan project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Jairus, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Okay, found a replacement glove box on eBay, the auction of which closes tomorrow.

As for vacuum... if the 390 is not producing enough, there is not much I can do about that. Once I replace the manifold and install the 4bbl Edelbrock, I doubt it will improve much. But, there might be a leak somewhere in that manifold. So... I guess it won't hurt to wait.

Yeah, pulling the heater core today and going to have a local radiator shop do a pressure test on it.
    Really need to vacate the garage today anyway and I want to test my seam sealing skills regardless. (Expecting another 1/2 inch of rain today with another huge storm tonight so that is a great test.)

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

If I had that 58 I'd love to keep it original with the old funky vacuum wipers, does anyone market a vacuum intensifier somewhere for this type of application? Seems like I've heard of them somewhere anyway? Good luck on the work and keep us informed. Love seeing the pics of that old car. :)

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You can cheat! Go to the wreckers and get one of those tin-can reservoirs from a pre-1980 Lincoln or Mercury. Hook it up to Manifold vacuum and run it to the wiper motor. While you're at it scoop one of the one-way vacuum valves from a 1978 to 1987 mid-size ford (white body, green top) to stop the vacuum from being redirected to other vacuum slurpers like vent doors or brakes. Should give you enough to climb the hills too.

4. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Okay, before I buttoned'er all back up for the rain I pulled the heater core.
    [​IMG]

Monday I plan to take it to a local radiator shop for a pressure test. Hope I don't have to replace it as it looks expensive.

The inside of the housing has a strange looking water line suggesting that maybe the lower half of the car may have been underwater at one time. The face of the unit, this was a "recirculating" unit as opposed to a "fresh air" unit, has a great patina all over it and that won't be changed for the moment. But I don't mind fixing the core and having heat.
    [​IMG]

Contols are nothing more than a two speed fan. Knob is pulled out to direct air to the now non-existent defogger vents.
    [​IMG]

5. MotoMike

That's what I figured those coffee cans were for. So they have an inline one way valve so all available(or at least more than without can) is captured for running vacuum dependent devices?

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I've got AC on mine. The air ducts inside the car are all vacuum motors, so Ford has this one-way valve setup (a small black one near the firewall vacuum plastic manifold), and another near the carb (white/green), so that the carb gets its own vacuum, the Power Brakes don't hog it all, and the inside vents don't fail. Either one will work. I remember the old early 50's Caddies and Buicks had the cannister too, for their wipers. Pretty sure the Lincolns did too. I suggested a newer Lincoln, because the new plastic cannisters are too small, for a big Ford V8, like his '58.

7. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you for all the help guys. The problem may indeed be a lack of vacuum or it could be that the wiper motor needs rebuilt.

Step one is this weekend I'll be swapping the manifold and carb on the 390. This will provide new gaskets and seals, plus a beautiful new 650 Edelbrock! Better economy and easier starting. So if that doesn't increase the vacuum, nothing will.

Step two is to send the vacuum motor out to this guy: Ficken Wiper Service.
    I read the FAQ page and it makes a lot of sense to try to rebuild the vacuum motor rather than springing for an electric bandaid.
    I kind of like the idea of using the standard vacuum motor and indeed I will consider getting a vacuum canister and one way valve as well to ensure the system has a buffer in it. Plenty of room under those huge fenders to install a gallon container... :yup:

8. MotoMike

Cool, thanks for the primer Norman, let us know how it pans out Jairus. :tiphat:

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    That's so cool, finding a shop that still fixes them up. You'll have to cruise the Rockies with the cannister on to see how they work.;)

10. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]

Took the wagon out for a last spin with the old Motorcraft 2bbl carb. Hit Glen Volz at Salem Speed Shop up for a 1" aluminum spacer to give clearance for the carb linkage and to see how our T-shirts are selling.

After running a few errands I pulled the car into the garage and started pulling the engine apart...

[​IMG]

The plan is to fit this 4bbl manifold with the attending Edelbrock Carburetor. Should be fun.... :dance:

[​IMG]

11. MotoMike

Wow, that ought to "wake up" that engine!

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Now that's a PLAN!:thumbs2:

13. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Coffee break!
    [​IMG]
    Now comes the fun part...

...remembering where everything goes again.

14. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The giggling pin goes into the laughing shaft...;)

15. dave from indy

dave from indy New Member

Hi Jarius, I just...

caught up with your thread again.

Vacuum wipers: the old original engines frequently had combination fuel/vacuum pumps to provide more 'suck' for the wipers. They still weren't that good. If you do find a good electric replacement, let me know...the '57 Ford vacuum motor can be replaced with a GM electric unit but the '58 setup is different. Maybe a street rod place has something.

I think your 'high water' mark in the heater core box may have been from a leaking heater core.

It's been so long since I was up under the dash in my '58 - wasn't the defroster duct some molded cardboard piece? I seen to remember I had to reshape mine because it had gotten wet and sagged...if you haven't torn yours to bits you might be able to salvage it (or maybe find a salvagable one in an antique auto wrecking yard). I don't know of any available reproduction part.