Yea, wood

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by kevdupuis, Jul 16, 2016.

1. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

So I decided to redo the wood trim inside the Mercedes since the Zebrano's in rough shape, ( warped, cracked & broken) I decided to replace it all and looked at different types of wood that would be more resistant to moisture, heat and cold before settling on Oak for the interior. I picked up some small oak boards and plywood and commenced to carve and sand one of the boards for the dash trim today, so far the results are promising though I need to find a tutorial on steaming and bending a couple of the pieces for both ends of the dash.
    My results so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bottom wood is the original Zebrano and the top is a spare piece of oak in case I screwed up while carving and sanding on the first attempt.

[​IMG]
    The center dash and glove box pieces with the first coat of stain on the back, I went with Bombay Mahogany for the colour.
    That's it so far.

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Lookin good!:thumbs2:

3. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Just an update.
    Dash trim is done and installed, now I'm working on the console & center stack.
    [​IMG]
    I'm happy with how the oak looks with two coats of the Mahogany stain and three coats of varnish.
    The old trim is on top for reference.
    [​IMG]
    The factory console top after stripping staining and coating, I'll be making a new top and moving the window, mirror and emergency flasher switches to a different position. the Pic uploaded kind of crappy.
    [​IMG]
    I'm eliminating the ashtray (top), the center piece will eventually be the face for a storage pocket in the ashtray's position but for now I'll use the bottom piece to cover the hole.
    [​IMG]
    Of course the new climate control panel laid and under way.

I haven't started on the top switch panel yet since it's a pain to get out and I haven't figured out which console switches are going where.

4. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Looks good.
    How did you do the radius on the end pieces?

5. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I cut a couple of wood blocks with both the inside and outside radius plus a cap block. I tried a wood steaming process I saw on u-tube, though instead of soaking the wood in hot water for an hour I boiled it for an hour on the barbecue then while still in the hot water I covered the container loosely and nuked it on high for another 10 minutes. Once all that was done I ran out to the garage with the parts put them in the blocks clamped them in and let them set for a couple days.
    BTW: I used some old cedar planking for the blocks since it's easy to work with.

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That looks great! Nice color choice too.

7. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Yeah deep red of the Bombay Mahogany stain really gives the interior a richer feel.

8. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Have the climate control plate and the storage pocket done.
    [​IMG]
    No more ashtray the pocket is more useful for holding my sunglasses.
    Next is the top switch plate and moving the hazard & pass mirror switches from the console top.

ModelT1 likes this.