Would these Ford hinge kits work for me?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 63rarewingedgod, Mar 20, 2008.

1. 63rarewingedgod

63rarewingedgod lover of wagons

Here are some pictures as promised. lets see how this goes. im using a new picture host.

The first one is the drivers door. The little pin where the top part meets the little leg is broken. Of course i need the pins (2) and the bushings and the spring so i think the kit will work but i will still have to buy the little pin except....

How do you get that small pin out? Is it easier to take the door off to do this?PITA in my opinion.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The second picture: You may have to take it off, but the big pin should come out with a good BIG punch and a hammer. The bronze bushings will give, but they need PERSUASION. As my old man used to say, "If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!"

On the right hand pin, I'd take it off and heat up the hinge (not the pin) and punch it out. Otherwise drill it out. I'd use a drill press.

Rev might know these hinges more intimately. I've done some GM, Mopar hinges, and only replaced my big pins in my Fairmont doors, but that's what I'd do. You can get enough heat from a Propane torch. The idea is to expand the hinge, not the pin. Hope it helps. :)

3. 63rarewingedgod

Thanks. Since is have 4 doors, maybe i will weld a rolling carrier to help me. I should be able to do this one hinge at a time right? First the top, remove completely, and put back. Then the bottom....

Of course now that i think of it, because of the torch heat, i would remove the door completely!I think the paint is original and would not be good if i damaged it.:cry:

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Load up the bolts with WD-40, Lemon Juice or Vinegar with a pinch of salt. Don't chuckle just yet. I derusted every fastener on my Frame-up restoration with a couple gallons of white vinegar and two tablespoons of salt. I'm not joking. The salt makes the vinegar/salt mixture into a very mild hydrochloric acid (you can put your hand in, unless you've got sensitive skin). Lemon juice (from the lemon, not the bottled stuff) is one of the best rust-busters there is. Just leave it for a few hours (damp) and then give her.

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Rick..did you ever get anywhere with your doors?
    and can you see any numbers on the hinges?

6. 63rarewingedgod

i will do them when i get back from vacation. Going Hilton Head SC for two weeks. I know the fairlane kit will work but i still need to get the small pin for the front, upper part of the hinge. the fairlane is the closest so far in design and parts for the merc.I should video me trying to open the pass. door for youtube tonight:camera: .

rick the merciless