woodgrain mouldings on 70 Country Squire

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by phil64, Dec 11, 2016.

1. phil64

phil64 Member

Hi all,
    I'm planing to redone the woodgrain and woodgrain trim on my CS but before doing i wonder how was made the woodgrain details on original fiber rails ? I've some pics , i think NOS rails, coming from an old ebay part http://tinyurl.com/hq2jp86 . Fake "lines" of wood were an adhesive thing, a paint, other ?

And is this the original color ?

s-l1601 [1024x768].jpg s-l1600 [1024x768].jpg s-l1602 [1024x768].jpg

2. martyk98

martyk98 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The fake wood look is a vinyl applied to the fiberglass trim. The same vinyl is used to cover your doors and fenders and tailgate. In the old days it was call Dinoc or Di-noc, pronounced dienok. Enter that in to your web browser and it will bring up the manufacturer, 3M.

3. phil64

phil64 Member

Thanks for the reply. About body woodgrain i know that 3M Di-Noc was a supplier and you can find it today at MetroRestyling but the clear vinyl on the mouldings (i'm sure it's a clear adhesive with some printed "lines" to mimic the wood grain) is unobtainium ...
    So i'll paint them to make a fake wood grain

4. martyk98

Wagon Garage:
    I've never heard of any American carmaker spending money to hand paint exterior body trim.

5. phil64

phil64 Member

I just have a new paint and woodgrain on my CS. As this topic is about fiber moldings i paint them with RAL 1015 color then "paint" the veins with a colored varnish and a bad quality brush: because this brush made streaks like wood veins. On the pic the small moulding was painted 2 years ago with another method which wasn't as realistic as the upper molding, painted some weeks ago with the "bad" brush ...

Attached Files:

6. martyk98

Wagon Garage:
    NICE JOB. The experts use the same principal on interior dash restorations but with a few more colors underneath. Orange, red, brown black, etc.