Wood vinyl decal sheets for Merc wagon

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 63ColonyPark, Feb 24, 2010.

1. 63ColonyPark

63ColonyPark New Member

Hello,

Who out there sells sheets to re-do the vinyl wood decals on wagons ? I hae a 63 Colony Park and I heard a place in California sells the sheets I need to re-do the wood decals but I don't have a company name.

Can anyone help me out there ?

3M I heard stopped making it, but other are from what I hear.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sharpline or J.C. Whitney still sell the original Ford woodgrain. Avery bought up Sharpline's vinyl operations and still offer it to people like Sharpline. J.C. Whitney bought out all the NOS that Sharpline had some years ago, and their 'kit' comes with good instructions and a mock up roll to precut your pieces. For my Fairmont, I only needed one roll, but for a full-size land yacht, you'd probably need 2. Their roll is 25' long and 24" wide. My side and tailgate panels were 12" at the widest part, so it was just enough.

Check our directory links off the main forum page and the Woodgrain threads in the Cosmetic section for more links.

3. 63ColonyPark

63ColonyPark New Member

Sharpline out of Wichita Kansas ?
    If so, what a small world. I use to work at the airport and handle the Cessna airplane the company had.

I tried looking before I posted this thread and all I found was some bad links to 3M products. I'll take your advise and look around on the site.
    I never would have thunk JC Whitney....

Thanks, and I'll look around a bit.

Ryan

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Here Ryan:
    http://www.sharpline.com/

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...pplications/InteriorEnvironments/Di-Noc-Film/

This Avery page lists a cross-reference to new product numbers. The woodgrain line was under their A-series specialty lines (A100). They only list 2 of the 4 that they used to have Bravo Burl (walnut colour) and Cheyenne Teak (late 70's Chevys and some Mopars)
    http://www.na.averygraphics.com/AvGrNA_XREF.asp?mode=family&formerId=2&familyId=41

JC Whitney's is here (Exteriors - Graphics..., etc.):
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/wood-grain-customizing-kit/p2006573.jcwx?skuId=169085

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    http://www.repops.com/

they dont have a website...so to speak...but they do sell 3 or 4 versions...
    ive used it...its good
    you just have to find a distributor for them

6. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

7. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    i have some samples from Sharpline and they are great. I havent ordered yet, but when i do i have to order for two wagons. i just dont want to have to store it. cant remember the price though, seems like it was about $100 for 8ft sections.

8. 63ColonyPark

63ColonyPark New Member

Thanks for all the help.
    I think after looking around the best deal is JCWhitney of all places. Thanks for that tip !
    They have rolls of 24" wide x 20 foot long for $ 80.00

I will let you know if the quality is any good.

If not, the woodgrain4wagons place looks good.

I called Sharpline and they were kind of a pain. They said they'd call me back.

9. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    do let us know, and could you post the link to the woodgrain at jcwhitney, i couldnt find it anywhere on their site. but then again since they changed their search function i cant find anythign on there

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I put up earlier, about 5 posts up.(y)

11. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    sorry, half asleep here

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    It's Ok, I was talking to the other half.:rofl2:

13. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That CA place looks good. It was on here before. Wonder how expensive they are?

14. 1957_TRANSCONTsearch

1957_TRANSCONTsearch New Member

Wood grain, you ask...? :)

Hello-
    I spent way too much time chasing the stuff starting a few years ago (when most of the SM optuiions were disappearing, temporarily).
    Here is what I found.
    I noticed then AND now there are always forums where people who haven't looked for the "good" types themselves have all kinds of input anyway.
    At least the leads you got her so far are real. But Sharpline...? I will get to that.
    There are names that will come up, or are still posted on on old forum postings on woodies sites, etc.. I will try to let you know which I know are still good.
    ~Since most Auto mfrs. from the late 1940s on used 3m's "DiNoc" (called that then, still called that)...I started there for a 1952 Chevy wagon.

~~3m (the best)==actually had designs similar to both of the patterns on the 1949-52 Chevy wagons' original DiNoc (referred to in the dealer service lit. from those years)...still. Or something really close to their own product from back then.
    Still water dip, etc.. It was available on websites for 3M's China and Philippines market (architectural used for Faux columns, etc.). Not here (2005-2007 or so).
    **Some was rated at being good for several years' UV Exposure, too - some is not.***
    (Key characteristic to look for here!).**
    This was 2005, or so. I tried through large sign companies and other avenues to order some - it was discontinued in the US, every official 3M rep I talked to said. You could order it, but the minimum was something like 1000'. No kidding. Aaaaand expensive/sq ft.. Very.
    ~A couple of years later, there was a car graphics distibutor called stripeman.com and Sharpline.com. To my understanding they both were selling 3M. So it had been brought back sometime...tried to get it from 3M again to get the more direct pricing...no dice.
    I got samples from those companies, and they said 3M on the back.
    Only came in 3 colors (odd because I knew 3M nmade 100s of woodgrains - why bring only 3 ionto the US?).
    ~Then Sharpline posted on their webnsite that 3M disciontinued the DiNoc (hate when companies can't get it anymore, so they say it's "disciontinued". Makes some people give up looking for a product they want!). Same with Stripeman.
    ~In the meantime woodgrain4wagons.com started in California.
    The owner's name is Mick, he likes wagons and started making some woodgrians of his own. Think his background is in the signs or printing business. He can sell and install and the woodgrain adhesive roll product...or just sell it to you, last I knew.
    Even makes repros. of the 1950-s 60s Squire stuff with the thin, tan horizontal lines.
    Different sheens, too.
    He also can do the actual woodgraining on your trim pieces, and clear coat them.
    Sharpline started selling the "same" colors/grain names again.
    I called and talked to them and asked how - they said they were "their own designs"...(but they had the SAME 3M names...they can do that? And they do LOOK similar...that's okay?)...and she explained they were digitally scanned and so were not "quite" as crisp in the design...but looked "great"! She said. At least there was something close to 3M.
    So I got samples and held them up to 3M ones.
    Product is fine. But if you had seen 3M, or were looking at both at the same time...there is a difference.
    But theirs looks good and is shiny, AND has the UV resistance (I am not sure how many years it is rated at...I ignore this anyway because I figure whatever brands I use it will be looking good for 1/2 that in Las Vegas, unless garaged!
    WOODGRAIN4WAGONS says his is a digital design, too but I think they lok better.
    ~Someitme in thelast 3(?) years 3M started selling their DiNos (all 100's of them!) therough a big deistributor.
    ==== http://www.idsfinishes.com/ ====
    Remember - 3M applies differently. And if you get samples, ask which ones are suitable for outdoor UV exposure. I got some samples, then called back to order and a different sales rep. explained that the first guy should have told me - some I wanted were only for indoor.
    And he made recommendations for outdoor ones.
    AVERY == they only make what, 3? "Bravo Burl", "Bravo teak" and ____? BUt unless your car is just woodgraines on the sides (i.e. "flat"...it is too thick to wrap around myuch.
    And every sign company or Avery rep. I have talked to said it is not a good ioption for the OUTSIDE of a car.
    Not intended to be exposured to sunlight like that.
    Unless they have changed - that was always what I heard.
    For: Indoor, Thickness=too thick for sharp corners, etc.., DESIGNS=limited (and not station wagon-friendly, really).
    More for architectural and static placements.
    (Not correct anymore? let us know!
    So... I followed a lot of dead ends to find all this out. Thought you might benefit.
    Even if you just are doing one 1980s car or something, and don't car too much, 'cause you just need one...
    It's always good to have more options to look at. And also know where to go when someone says "no one sells it", or "we are the only ones you can get it from". Frustrating!

So:
    ~3M - great, can be bought with no minimum. L-O-T-S- of grain designs. (Get UV resistant designs).
    A little harder to install, but more forgiving than most. Can "wrap".
    ~Avery - only 3 or so designs. Thicker, (last I was told...not great for outdoors. EASY TO FIND, through sign makers, sign makers suppliers, even some big art stores. Inexpensive.
    ~Sharpline. Make their own versions of the most common 3M ones. UV resistant.
    ~Woodgrain4wagons.com - about the same deal appearance, with many more options (Ford tan lines, different gloss, UV resistance...and a wagon person to talk to when you buy it not an art-store clerk!).
    I found a couple of NICE, NICE 19060s Fords on the internet that gave him credit for doing theitr cars...that aren't even shownm onhis website yet.

GOOD LUCK - at least there are options so you don't have to give uip and go to Wal MArt for woodgrain, because you were told it was hard to get.

~Oh - J.C. Whitney - I called to see if they still had it, and was told "no".
    Theirs was the grain similar to (and intended for) the Jeep Wagoneers. I THINK it was from Avery the last few years, but it wasn't 3M from them for a long time.
    Check - she might have been wrong, and they DO have it.
    ~Go to YOU TUBE - "Di-Noc" or Di Noc" as search words. There are companies jumoping on distributing the stuff, I guess!
    Several seem to be posting videos of installing it around tables with square corners, etc., car dashes in the "carbon fiber" pattern, etc..
    Or maybe they are posted by 3M. BUt you can see whatthe stuff IS.
    On the sides of the wagons that are "flat"...I would go with the guy in CA. One stop shopping!

15. 1957_TRANSCONTsearch

1957_TRANSCONTsearch New Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa