Wonder stuff for leaking head gaskets?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Senri, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, I actually know the answer already, but has anyone some experience with this stuff: http://www.heal-a-seal.com/ ?
    The point is just that I had set myself to find a nice classic wagon this year, but on my way back from Italy after Christmas I found out I have a leaking headgasket. I can't sell my car this way (well, at least I can't). A quick talk to the Subaru dealer gave me a staggaring estimate of a minimum of 1200 euro per side(!). For replacing the HG, the engine has to be taken out because of the boxer configuration. Wondering over the web a bit I came across the above mentioned site.

2. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Subaru? Apparently this is an issue with some engines.
    I think there is a website specific to the issue, I'm sure it could be googled up.
    My neighbour has a Suby wagon. It's always got a little dribble under it. He has to top it off regularly.
    Here:
    http://www.subaruheadgasket.com/

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    1200 Euro per side! That's like $1500 CDN$ X 2!!! Heck you could get a new engine for that! Was he an addict??? :biglaugh:

Andy probably gave you the best resource. I don't have a clue about the Suby line. They look good, seem well built, and hold their resale value. That's all I knew until now. :mad:

4. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have some good news! When I bought the car I had a waranty of 6 months or 10k km. The 6 months are over next week, but I have already driven 12k with it. BTW: the first time I really had a problem with it was on the way to Italy and this was actually within the 10k. Just driving it back to Holland made me go over 10k km.
    When I bought the car, I was really happy with the service. Not because I got so much discount, but just how the serviced it and had it ready nice and clean. I know, this doesn't say much, but it is just a feeling that you get that feels like they mean what they say.
    Well, I am happy to say I was right! I called them and explained my problem. After some time he called me back to say I could bring the car and everything would be repaired!! He was only sorry to say the could not give me a hire car for free!!!

About the quality of Subaru's. They are really good. It is only one particular 2.5 liter engine, that has a more or less design fault in the headgasket. The new designs give no problem at all. I just hoped mine would not have that, but anyway, it seems to be solved very well!
    :dancingparty:

5. 80cutlass

80cutlass New Member Charter Member

we had an oldsmobile a few years ago with a 3.1 in it and the headgaskets went no thanks to the G.M. dexcool coolant ,,, and i took it a shop (i knew the guy) and due to time constraints they put that stuff in it and worked just fine,,,they garanteed it to hold up and it did ,,,it was,nt bars leak or anything like that,,, this was a sealant and if he said it would work i trusted his word even though i was skeptical about it at first ,,,now mind you i did,nt have a cooling issues ,,,it did,nt get hot so the heads weren,t warped,,, due to the dexcool coolant the gaskets failed ,,,so in that situation it did the job

6. Thrashingcows

Thrashingcows New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nicwe to hear that the company is going to stand by their warranty and not try and screw you....Thumbs up to them and their customer service...(y)

7. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You are right! I just got the car back. Logically, they did not change the headgasket right away, but investigated my complaint, overheating, first. Finding a coolant leak at the thermostat housing. Replacing this, they also found out that the thermostat itself was foulty. I never noticed, as temperature stayed contstant for a long time. Testing the coolant system also revealed a clogged up radiator and thus was replaced for a new one as well.
    I just hope this solves the problem. I did drive it home (50 miles @ 70mph) without any problems, but the problem actually occured after driving several hours at a bit higher speeds. I keep my fingers crossed!!!

But again, hoera for Leewis car dealer for doing this for free, while in principle my car was out of the waranty!! :tiphat: