Which model is it?

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by zee, Oct 6, 2014.

1. zee

zee New Member

I posted a "bad" photo in the gallery of a toy station wagon I found in the attic of my childhood home.

I have been cleaning out a large 98 year old home that my family lived in for over fifty years.

Before they lived in the house, my parents were in Germany where my father did his time in the service in the 1950's. They brought back many things from Germany, including an elaborate train set and accessories.

The train was set up many times in my childhood but never remained set up, so it would get packed away in the attic. Several years ago my mother gave the train set away to someone she thought would enjoy it.

Imagine my surprise this year to find two boxes packed full of train accessories from the 1950’s packed in a cubbyhole. One box was full of landscape pieces and other parts that had never been opened, cellophane wrapping intact.

The other box had some of the accessories that were used as set pieces (for the train set that had been given away). I took pictures quickly of all the pieces to show my siblings, so nothing was photographed for beauty.

One of the pics shows some of the toy cars that were used with the train set scenery, and one of those cars is a grey station wagon with a luggage carrier with luggage in it!

I was wondering if anyone can identify it from the photo. Possibly it is a European car. I no longer have the accessories; I took them to an auctioneer earlier this year so that they would be placed in a train and train accessories sale. They have not had the sale yet.

So can anyone identify the type of car it is from the side shot? There is a chrome bumper / grill on the front and the back if that helps.

The pic is in the gallery; I am trying to include it in this post:

image_361061.jpg

2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

I'll guess an early to mid 50's Opel wagon (a General Motors line in Germany). No idea who the manufacturer of the toy is though.

[​IMG]

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The manufacturers in Germany are Wiking, Herpa, Preiser, and a few others. What I can do is look in my Walthers HO scale model railroad catalog and see if I can match them up.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

It's a Brekina brand Opel Rekord Olympia "CarAVan" and the red car appears to be a Jaguar Mk II sedan. The only one made now is not made by Brekina, though.

5. Fullsizelover

Fullsizelover Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Opel is correct however the red one look like a two door and the MKII was a 4 door, and if these were German it looks more like a DKW / Auto Union 1000 to me:)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  6. zee

zee New Member

There were catalogues in the boxes for Marklin, Preiser, Faller, Fleischman, etc., and there were a couple of Matchbox by Lesney boxes and a Matchbox bus but I could not find the station wagon among pics of Matchbox cars.

This forum has already helped with showing it was another maker!

7. zee

zee New Member

Thank you! I could not find it among Matchbox cars and now I know why...it is a Brekina. The windows on the wagon are the key to identifying it IMO.

8. zee

zee New Member

Thank you!

You all are so good at recognizing vintage cars...for fun I uploaded two other "bad" shots ...these boxes had so many things in them we were hurrying through to get to the large landscape pieces, like a coal mining operation, that we rushed through taking pics of the cars. Do you have any idea what type of cars the others ones are? Note one is being used to prop up a small piece of scenery. Wish I had not done that!

Also, for fun, I have uploaded the set of Lego metal cycles, including a motorcycles from the 1950's. This is part of what made it a treasure hunt!

image_601449.jpg

image_8200.jpg

image_213926.jpg

image_959454.jpg

9. zee

zee New Member

Thanks, Jim!

10. Fullsizelover

Fullsizelover Active Member

Wagon Garage:
  11. zee

zee New Member

12. zee

zee New Member

One more picture:

Some of the boxes had never been opened so I did not open them to take pics but just took pics of the boxes; this pic shows the Marklin 315/4G "truck loaded with motor cars" car carrier and I think one of the cars is a Ford Taunus which would also have been a Brekina.

Thank you everyone for your help so far!

image_180423.jpg

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

You're right about the sedan not being a 4-door; I'd swear I saw 4 doors under magnification. Anyway, I'll snoop through the Walthers catalog and see if I can find another listing for a similar car.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

The red car in the first pic is not a Borgward; Wiking makes an Isabella 2-door sedan, but the rear ends are different. Continuing to look, as well as for the other cars in the new pics. What I'd like is if you could gather the cars together and snap a few more pics.

15. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

I would assume the little wagon is probably Not made by Brekina. Brekina's mold is probably less than 10 years old, and the model from your attic is probably much older. That would mean yours is probably a lot more rare.