Where To Get Barrel Nut / Grommet Things For Ford Emblems?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by SquiggleDog, May 4, 2020.

1. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I need to install the F O R D letters on the hood and tailgate of a 1965 Ford Country Sedan, and the emblem on the tailgate. They are a friction fit into some plastic barrel nuts or grommets that fit into the holes in the body. They look like pictures A and D in the diagram.
    IMAG7565.jpg

They look like these ones that I see for sale on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-pcs-3-s...lar-barrel-nuts-with-sealer-Ford/131878712420
    fbn.jpg

The ones that fit a 3/16" stud and go into a 1/4" hole should work fine for the large emblem on the tailgate. However, the pins for the F O R D letters are 3/32" and the holes in the body are 1/8". But, the smallest size of the ones in the auction are for 1/8" pins and fit 3/16" holes, so they are too big.

I can't seem to find any small enough, except for these, but they won't seal and will let water inside:
    photo_2020-05-02_18-49-38.jpg

Once again, I can't believe how difficult it is to find parts for this car. The owner of the vehicle bought new F O R D letters, but he bought the ones that don't come with mounting hardware. The ones that say they come with mounting hardware don't show pictures of it, but I wonder if they send the type that seals, or the type that doesn't.

2. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

What you show in the bottom pic is exactly what was used, use a touch of silicone on the retainer before you slide the emblems on should help to reduce moisture entry.

3. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

They may work, but the ones that were in the tailgate were exactly the type shown in the first two pictures. It's baffling that they sell the larger sizes, but not the size that I need.

4. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I found a clue... these were made by Auveco, and other auto manufacturers used them in the size I need, as well. Now, I just need to find some, because I was on Auveco's website, and they no longer sell ones for 3/32" studs and 1/8" holes in the style I'm after.

5. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Hmmm... it may be that the original style just isn't being made anymore (in that size). Ugh. I guess I'll just have to use a sealant around the pin area.

6. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Both of my Mercedes used those plastic topped retainers and trying to save them when I was doing work on the cars was a bitch, I wound up using the spare metal ones that I had for my 7 Litre.

7. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

You could also use some of those spring steel sheetmetal clips with silicone sealant in between. The following don't resemble examples of the common types of which I often run into. But, they look like they'll work.
    The site also offers that rare weatherstripping someone here was looking for:

https://picclick.de/Schriftzug-Kapitän-für-OPEL-Oldtimer-Kapitän-A-Motorhaube-122561107207.html

https://picclick.de/3-neue-Tüllen-für-Kühlergitter-Opel-Ascona-383532415664.html

https://picclick.de/50-tlg-Klammern-Clips-Stoßleisten-Beplankung-für-Mercedes-153431983969.html

https://picclick.de/20-neue-Federkl...eckverkleidung-383532410730.html#&gid=1&pid=1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Check with your local NAPA auto parts store. Show them what you need. I have had great success in getting retainers and nuts for trim, emblems, etc. from them.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Also check with Fastenal, they carry tons of Auveco hardware, but be forewarned: it usually means buying a box of a bunch of whatever you're wanting.

10. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I just emailed Auveco themselves to see if they make them or can make them.

11. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

Of course, no response from Auveco. Split metal barrel nuts it is, I guess. I just try to do things the right way, but I guess that's not really an option when it comes to old Fords.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Did you check with Fastenal, see if they had them in stock? Auveco may be shut down due to the quarantine.

13. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

I did, and they don't seem to have anything like it.

14. SquiggleDog

SquiggleDog Member

It turns out the clips I am looking for are these ones:
    [​IMG]

which have been coated in silicone or similar in order to give them this appearance:
    [​IMG]

Here is the proof:
    IMAG7604.jpg

I think at this point I'm just going to have my roommate get the metal tube nuts and will use sealant on them.

15. chrlsful

chrlsful Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sub53 likes this.