What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Took mine out for a bit of a shakedown cruise and some footstompin' fun.
    Straightened out a crooked bumper earlier in the day.
    Picked up StorminNorman for a quick drive out the highway.
    I'm pretty pleased with the way she's running. Had my torque converter tweaked.
    And wow it's got this deep bassy rumble at idle. :)

Don't know why I'm burning up starter solenoids though? :huh:

2. Cyber-Wizard

Cyber-Wizard Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    With my wagon in drydock I'm continuing to work on the huge collection of parts in my garage.

With the seats out I sprayed them down with Releasall to get all of the grit and grime off of the leather and then treated them to a leather conditioner/protectant. The blue leather came up several shades brighter! The puddle at my feet looked like it had a significant percentage of coffee in it when I finished the driver's seat. :)

I finished de-rusting one half of the driver's seat motor rail and got it primed and a coat of paint on it.

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :banana: Hubby is very pleased! He was concerned about getting the stabilizer bars off Fannie. But he crawled under there, wire brush in one hand, penetrating oil in the other. A little brushing, a little spraying...bingo, bango...Bob's your uncle...they came right off! :banana:She was a good girl today :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. 1OldFordMan

1OldFordMan New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Haven't done anything in over a year. Hauled it to someone who was going to do an EXTREME makeover on it. Install carpet & headliner, remove the roof rack & fill the holes, fix a dented fender, install a missing tray under the dash, install all the missing exterior trim, & re-paint it. Due to circumstances,it's still there waiting to be done. Had originally thought he was going to pull the old 258 6 cyl. out & drop a 360 V-8 in. Says he can't do it by himself because of a bad back & the person he thought was going to help isn't. So it's still sitting there with my 360. He says he's going to get it done. I'm hoping, had hoped to have it back about now to drive to the job.

5. 68GS400

68GS400 New Member

89 wagon has roof and rear seating leaks - remove back door trim and did basic maintenance on 200K rear door: cleaned, lubed, and painted rust. Now to address bigger issue: roof rack leaks and identified issue as the nuts/seals that hold rack to roof. Does anyone make these? It is a ~1/2 inch rubber plug with a nut inside it. When the bolt/screw (phillips head) is tightened, it 'squished' the rubber around the roof panel. I have leaks around all four rack mounts and am concerned that rack could come off if the mounts are not secure.
    Any suggestions?

6. Dogbone

Dogbone Senior Member

Wagon Garage:
    I believe the pieces you are looking for are called "Well Nuts".

[​IMG]

You should be able to find them online or maybe at a local big box hardware store, just be sure to get the correct size.

Good luck. :)

7. surferbob

surferbob New Member

hey,surfer bob here.anyone know where i can get a 63 merc meteor hood at,mine got recent and wont stop cracking around scoop area.thanks,

8. 68GS400

68GS400 New Member

Found them! Thanks for the info for once I knew they were 'well nuts' I was able to find at a fastener speciality shop in Marietta. Replacing all 8 and putting a bead of silicon around it to insure it is sealed. THey are about 1/8' smaller diameter than original ones but same length and use same M6-1.0 bolts.

9. 68GS400

68GS400 New Member

Installed new well-nuts on all 8 locations, tightened securely, and NO LEAKS! One item checked off the list. Cleaned up mold in back area from excessive moisture and now that area looks good.
    One issue the rear facing seat won't release. Any suggestions on how to repair that? (Must get the Buick SM and BM - none on E-bay. Guess Helms, assuming they still have them.)

10. whjco

whjco Well-Known Member

I put DOT5 silicone in all of my collector cars (don't use it in anything with anti-lock brakes). It's nonhygroscopic so it won't absorb water like DOT3 and cause corrosion/sticky pistons in master cylinders, wheel cylinders or calipers.

I have a couple of vehicles that have had it installed for 20 years and have had no problems.

The brakes in the car had failed when the master cylinder piston stuck due to corrosion. All the wheel cylinders were corroded as well. This wouldn't have happened if the car had DOT5 brake fluid installed.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  11. whjco

whjco Well-Known Member

Yes, and that just reinforces the reason why I choose to install DOT5 in my collector cars. While the fluid is more expensive (not at the amount quoted in the article), it's much cheaper in the long run because I don't have to periodically flush the brake fluid due to moisture retention and I don't have to worry about corrosion in brake components.

12. whjco

whjco Well-Known Member

I finished my upgrade of the brakes on my '55 wagon last week. The brakes work really well and require about 1/3 of the pressure to stop the car and it also stops dead straight.

13. Dogbone

Dogbone Senior Member

Wagon Garage:

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Blew the exhaust....

Started the Buick just before 6AM and she backfired like a shot gun blast!

[​IMG]......
    followed by the loud sound of no exhaust:mad:.....I turned it off ASAP!

I got everyones attention:hide:, saw many a bedroom window curtian open across the street, my dogs start barking in the back yard:slap:....not a good morning! And now that everyone is awake...I start a loud diesel Ford 550 that I drove home from work the nite before. I did a last minute delivery with the work truck at the end of the day and like I allways do, I block work trucks in with my own rides.

I have no freeken idea why it backfired, I take care of the old girl. She is tuned, up-kept...I just don't get it...?!? Drove it last nite with out a problem:confused:

I'm numb and sore today, I just don't have it in me to even look at what happend:(

Yeah, today was crap!

15. Lono

Lono New Member

Wagon Garage:
    While the mrs was out I pulled the 58 out and soda blasted off more of the old primer.
    It's taking about 5 kg of soda per panel and 2-3 hours and doing the door and 1/2 the fender

[​IMG]