Western New York Wagon Lover!!!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Dana Bennett, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dana Bennett

Dana Bennett Active Member

Hi Everyone!!
    I guess I am suppose to introduce myself, so that I will!! Hope I don't run-on a little to much!!
    My name is Dana Bennett, I grew up in Tonawanda,NY (Buffalo suburbs) and I now live in Forestville,NY (out in the country!!). I am a truck driver (local-tractor trailer) although unfortunately was terminated in July from a job I LOVED, I worked there for 14 1/2 years and was late 3 times this past year (each less than an hour, have NEVER not shown up or ever called in sick!!) and I was let go. Unfortunately still not working.
    I was one of the earlier members of the American Station Wagon Owners Association, I have been a member of the Professional Car Society for about 15 years or so and a Life member for the last 10. I grew up with a love for old cars, one of the things I love most is checking out old wrecking yards, not very much in person in the last many years but have seen TONS online. I can not believe how rust free some salvage yard cars can be in other states!!
    My first car was my Dads 1972 Ascott blue Chevy Kingswood wagon that he bought new, I got it in '86 so it was already worn quite a bit, but so started my love afair with clamshells!!! I have had 7 clamshells and still own 3. I would guess that my deep interest in Pro-cars started when I was a kid with my Matchbox Cadillac Ambulance, I have had 5 hearses of which I still own 4. Ok, two of my Hearses are ALSO clamshells so they fill BOTH interests!!! All of my cars need considerable work, some a lot more than others, however regardless of condition I am happy to own them!!
    Here is everything that I currently own:
    1972 Oldsmobile Hearse, Cotner/Bevington, wrecked/rotted, parts car.
    1972 Buick LeSabre 4dr.H/T
    1973 Buick LeSabre 4dr.H/T
    1975 Buick Century Wagon 4x4 conversion (bought this way almost 20 years ago, still unfinished, boxed in rear side windows)
    1976 Buick Estatewagon (Yellow)
    1976 Buick Estatewagon HEARSE (white.a bit rusty but "could" be fixed)
    1976 Buick Estatewagon HEARSE (black,pretty solid, worth fixing)
    these were both made by Armbruster/Stageway for Superior, there was ONE proto-type in 1975 and then 36 were built in 1976, two styles, four trim levels. my White one has a one foot stretch after the rear passenger doors and my Black one has the one foot stretch between the front and rear doors. Both still have the clamshell tailgate and window and have a fiberglass cap roof, no rear side windows.
    1976 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Sovereign Regal, from Ozark,Alabama
    1976 Oldsmobile 98 Regency 4dr.H/T
    1979 Pontiac Trans Am (black, pretty solid and worth restoring)
    1987 Chevy shortbox pickup 4x4 , plow truck
    1999 Ford Taurus WAGON, daily driver since '01, now has 277,000 miles on it, NEEDS to be replaced!! would like magnum or '04 Taurus WAGON with DOHC and bucket seats/console with floor shifter, unfortunately since I'm not working (YET!!) it will now be several years before I can replace it with a newer car!!
    Also, I am really a nut for old houses and buildings/Barns. I bought my house in 2001, it is an 1860 Italianate farmhouse with two barns and 10 acres. This year (thanks partially to a grant) my one barn, 3ox40, 1850's, has been restored this past year and is nearly finished, now 3 or 4 of my cars will at least be able to be stored INDOORS!!! yea!!!!!
    anyways, There's my intro, hope this hasn't been too long and I will try to post some pictures of the cars when I can!!
    Dana Bennett.

2. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the wagon train, Dana.

Great story! We thrive on pics. :camera::camera::camera:

3. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    Hey neighbor, Welcome to the site. I am only 30 or so miles West of you in Findley Lake. One hell of a collection you have there, wow!

4. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    glad you decided to stick around(y)

quite the selection you have my friend:D

heck of a intro ta boot(y)

:Welcome: to our garage...help yourself to the beer...i didnt pay for it:D

5. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, Dana!

6. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome:Dana, great intro.

7. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard Dana! Great story! Sounds like a nice fleet.

Too bad the hauling company dumped you like that, but as you'll soon find out, you may be asked your rates to haul wagons from one state to another. A collector that likes the road up high and proud? Sounds like a good match to me.

And the barn all rebuilt. You know we'll be dogging you for pics! :Welcome: :biglaugh:

8. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great idea, Normy. That's what another truck driver did. Started hauling car in an ENCLOSED rig for the same price guys were getting with open rigs. You can't hardly get this guy to haul anymore he's so busy!

9. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Welcome Dana. Holy cow, you are a true wagon lover with all of them that you own. That's great. Excellent intro, by the way. Post some pictures; we love pictures!!

10. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Hummm. 12 wagons of various types in NY. Kinda balances out all the wagon weight in BC. Right Rev?:evilsmile:

11. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    welcome Dana... Buick clamshells are a very good choice IMHO... but Armbruster/Stageway :1st::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Really looking forward to see photos (love to see any Armbruster/Stageway emblems :162: )

12. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum. That is a great collection that we must see pics of. Great intro btw.

13. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

:rofl2::biglaugh::rofl2::biglaugh:

:Welcome:, and nice intro, now about some pics...:whistle:

14. Dana Bennett

Dana Bennett Active Member

Thankyou everyone for the kind and warm welcome!!! as well as not thinking my intro was just a little too long winded!!
    I have yet to really explore the site (slow internet limits what you can do in x amount of time!!) but certainly will be, especially to check out pictures!! I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how and where to do it, again slow internet (dial-up) makes uploading photos a little difficult to say the least!!
    I am VERY excited that my barn is nearly done, all that remains is the doors, putting in some new electric and staining/sealing the siding (Larch) sometime next spring/summer. I did contribute some work to the project (esp. since I have been out of work) but have been very lucky to have a very good contractor who cared enough to do the job properly, for the most part things were done the same way they were back then!!
    My barn is not large (30x40) but I am planning on keeping 4 vehicles inside once they can run and get inside on their own.
    The '76 Cadillac hearse in the 12x30 center bay It has been in my girlfriends 2 1/2 car garage for the last 8 years and she really wants her extra space back now that she has two cars herself!! you see, in December of '01 I needed a good dry place to store the '76 Cadillac hearse and she offered a space in her garage believing the 22' long car would not fit!! boy was she surprised when she came home from work the next day and there I was getting it to fit!! I was nice enough to even wiggle it partly into the 1/2 side behind the man door giving her plenty of room!!
    The Black '76 Buick Estatewagon hearse and yellow '76 Buick Estatewagon in the 16x30 bay on the right and if I'm lucky the '79 Trans Am sideways across the front of the other three. These are the cars that I own that are in the most solid condition and are worthy of preserving for hopefully future restoration. The 12x30 bay on the right and the loft above it is for limited parts storage and small workshop.
    pictures soon!!
    Dana Bennett.
    P.S. I will be also posting a request for info concerning any of the other '76 Buick hearses that might still exist, as soon as I figure out where to post it that is!!

Rob, I do not know of any Armbruster/Stageway emblems on the Buick hearses, they were indeed made by A/S but for Superior so any badging other than Buick is Superior as far as I know, If I find any though I will let you know!!

Scott, I haven't been to Findley Lake since I was a kid and went to summer camp at the church camp there a few summers!! Maybe next summer if I have one of my "fun" cars running I will take a cruise out there!!

15. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:

just short of me and Ford Fellow getting blamed for global warming...:rofl2:

thank crap for Dana:thumbs2: