Volvo 240 Turbo Project

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by schaff70, Nov 14, 2012.

1. schaff70

schaff70 New Member

I thought I'd share my 'hot rod' Volvo 240 factory turbo/intercooled wagon.

I've been building this wagon for the past 5 years & finally (with some good help) finished it last spring.
    B21FT engine w. factory forged internals, .60 trim garrett turbo, 3" stainless turbo back exhaust w. Magnaflow muffler, Koni red adjustable shocks in back, Bilstein HD struts up front on unknown brand lowering springs and Kaplhenke camber plates. OMP stress bar with Volvo strut to firewall braces, Borbet 16" copper painted wheels & Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 205/50/16's.
    You may have seen it at the 2012 Carlisle Import Nationals this year where it made the 800 mile round trip only 1 month after putting it back together.

Here's a before picture:

[​IMG]

how it sits now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far the car has been a lot of fun. I've taken it on several road trips to car shows this summer/fall including a trip to Atlantic City, NJ, H2Oi in Ocean City, MD and just a couple weeks ago I made a 1300 mile round trip to drive the Tail of the Dragon in Deals Gap, NC (318 turns in 11 miles)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm moving to Houston in a couple weeks & I'll tow the car out with my 4Runner. Once I get settled in I'm going to do some more work to the car including a build head, cam, bigger turbo, 3" intercooler and more suspension work. I have plans to take it to the January Cars & Coffee in Houston.

-Todd

2. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great intro, Welcome aboard!

3. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

That's a sharp Volvo.

4. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Super cool Volvo Todd!! Love all the mods you did to it! :Welcome:

5. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome schaff70! Nice car!

6. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Sharp Volvo!

7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello Todd, :Welcome: to the forums. That has got to be the coolest Volvo I've seen in a long time. Love the touches you've done. Don't you love those sneaky little sleeper wagons? :evilsmile:

8. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

What a GREAT wagon! Love these old Volvo 240s. I've been thinking about what to do with Ma's eventually. IF the old girl ever gives up the car, that is. Around here, though, you don't see very many of the earlier tailgates still in anything approaching that nice! They all rusted out. If you ever do have to do the tailgate, I would think about the 90 and newer style, The window mount is different, and they are all galvanized, so rust is not the problem it is with the earlier ones. have fun with that wagon! Keep us up to date with pics and progress reports. I'm really looking forward to all that!

9. schaff70

schaff70 New Member

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I've always been a wagon guy & I guess I always will be. I've had the Volvo close to 8 years now & I don't think I'll ever get rid of it or be finished improving it. The coolest thing about the Volvo is every time I drive it, I get a thumbs up from somebody everywhere I go.

I'm hoping to pick up an old Ford Falcon wagon to mess around with once I'm in Texas and I'd love to have a 2000-04 BMW 325i wagon as a daily driver.

For the most part I'm never satisfied with what I'm driving unless it's different from what everybody else has.

My old daily driver was a 2003 Honda Odyssey that once the suspension needed replaced I added KYB shocks/struts with H&R lowering springs along with some 18" Nissan Murano wheels.

[​IMG]

Compared to a stock Odyssey

[​IMG]

10. chevy5seven

chevy5seven New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That is a suhweeet Volvo!!! Oh yeah, Welcome.

11. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    ...ok...you got a cool Voovoo...and you want a Falcon....yur just teasin me arent ya????:evilsmile:

:biglaugh:...:Welcome: from a guy with a bunch of Falcons...that wants another cool VooVoo....(y)

12. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Rev: You may just have answered my dilemma for when, or should I say IF, Ma ever stops driving Arthur. Good excuse for a road trip. I'll bring you Arthur! I know you'll give the old boy a good home. Not many people appreciate those old Volco 240 wagons.

13. schaff70

schaff70 New Member

[​IMG]

Last month the wagon got loaded onto a tow dolly & we moved from Virginia Beach to Houston.

I made it to my first local car get together last Sunday here in Houston. It was tough being the only wagon in a sea of Mustangs, Corvettes and a handful of Hondas & Subarus.

[​IMG]

I'll load up my new long board onto the roof for Saturday's big Coffee & Cars where I'll be a dwarf among the Lambos & Ferrari.

After Saturday the wagon has to go back into the garage for some maintenance. 28 years & 297k miles it has a few needs. The master cylinder is getting weak, the hood latch cable isn't working and the clutch is starting to slip. Once I have a steady job I'll put money aside for a T5 transmission swap.

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt New Member

Love them 240 Volvos. Especially yours! Nice job! Must go like hell!?

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madness! Like that Volvo, Tail of the Dragon, Deal's Gap, US129......been down that road many times on my F2 Honda, never tried it in a cage, much less a wagon! :Welcome: