Transmission crossmember for th350 in late 80's Buick?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by BuickEstate, May 21, 2020.

1. BuickEstate

BuickEstate Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm preparing to swap the 200 4r in my '88 Buick wagon for a th350. The engine has been changed previously to a Chevrolet 350, and I believe the driveshaft already in it will work. I'm having some difficulty with the crossmember. The 350's mount is a few inches further forward than the 200's. I think the crossmember position for a 350 would be diagonal across the car, driver's side placed in different frame holes closer to the front from where they are now. Existing passenger side holes reused? However, after pulling the crossmember out and looking at it closer it appears this one for the 200 is not meant to be angled like that. And sliding it forward equally on both sides puts the passenger side exhaust hump very close to the heat shield on the floor pan and rubs it. So I'm looking into getting a different one. Have any of you done this swap before, and could you tell me what crossmember you used?

Thank you.

2. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

I did something like that ON A Trans am and turned it around an it fit. Could you weld a tab to the crossmember to where you need it?

3. BuickEstate

BuickEstate Member

Wagon Garage:
    The one on it could likely be cut and modified in some way to make it work, but I'm not really equipped to do any welding.

Recently I also got a 1980 Monte Carlo crossmember from the junkyard, it seemed close to what I was looking for but upon further inspection it's not quite wide enough for my frame rails and the transmission mounting tab is offset to the passenger side a little.

I was thinking an early 90's Roadmaster crossmember might work, but I'm not sure. We have one that I could temporarily remove to look at, I plan to do that sometime and see how it fits.

4. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

My 1980 Catalina wagon has a th350 coupled to a Pontiac 301. It should fit your wagon too. However, I don't know if the rear of the engine sits in different locations for the various engines 80's wagons were equipted with.

5. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I have the original TH350 crossmember from my 78 Catalina that was powered by a Buick 350 you can have it for shipping if it would help you out