To cruise or not to cruise?

Discussion in 'Car Shows and Swap Meets' started by fannie, Mar 2, 2021.

1. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well it's looking like our Flaunt and Flash car show will be nixed again this year. I totally understand, we need to look after each other, especially those who struggle with the rules set out. So putting restrictions in place is extremely important for all of us.
    However, I've been thinking about organizing a Flaunt and Flash Day Cruise. I have never been on a cruise so I have no idea what is involved in organizing one. I have been trying to get some info on the net but that isn't working out well. So I'm reaching out to some of you who have been on a cruise and maybe been involved in organizing one.
    My thoughts so far is to keep the number of entrants to about 25/30. The entrance fee will be a donation which will go to our local volunteer fire department. If we still have travel restrictions, I may have to allow only those who live in our region and keep the cruise within this region. I want the route to offer scenic, paved, winding back roads and a park where we could pull off to have a break and a picnic, that way we don't have to worry about numbers in a restaurant. I was thinking there should be a few prizes, but I don't know what. Perhaps just put names in a hat? Should there be someone to lead the cruise? Do car owners usually sign a wavier so the organizers are not liable if there is an incident?
    I want to get the plan together so I can bring it to the Town for permission, since the Flaunt and Flash car show is actually a part of the Ravenous for Rhubarb Festival which is also likely to be postponed again this year.

I really could use some input.

Thank you. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    ModelT1 likes this.
  2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That’s an excellent idea. We had a January white sail car show here in NM back mid January. Didn’t have to bring a white car, but ok if you had one. We had probably about 125 cars and separated in the parking lot. Each car took off about a minute and a half from each other so their wouldn’t be crowded people at the take off point. It worked out great. As the cars left, left and came back with their answers, they would drop their entry forms in a big box on a separate stand to avoid contact. We had a trivia game on the route, and you could come back if you wished as long as you were separated from other cars and spectators. The car council left the ballets in the boxes for Five days and we emailed the results of the trivia game, as well as votes for best car from the 3 divisions. It was a lot of fun.

ModelT1 and fannie like this.
  3. jreese

jreese Member

Ravenous for Rhubarb Festival, this caught my eye. That alone sounds fun. I think 60Mercman has the plan to make a good cruise.

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Jennifer, I think that organizing a cruise is a great idea. Last summer our local Mustang club cancelled their annual show (like many others) but they did follow through with one part of the planned activities. Each year, as part of the show weekend they organize a "Pony Trail" which is a cruise similar to what you are describing. It has a meeting point, maps/directions for the planned route, stops and a final destination.
    Last years cruise was smaller than average, but that was because it consisted mostly of local club members. It was great nonetheless. We met at a local park in the morning, the club president had a small table with all of the information and boxes of donuts and thermoses of coffee. We drove along a predetermined route that was chosen for it's scenery, historical value and the like. We stopped at a park around mid day and had picnic lunches and then continued on for a few more hours of leisurely driving the backroads until we returned to the original point of our departure.
    I love car shows. But more and more I am enjoying events where people drive their classics. To me that's what they were made for in the first place. Seeing a vintage automobile rolling down the road making the sounds and smells it's meant to make certainly beats a static display in my book.
    If you are going to charge an entrance fee, I think having some prizes available is a good idea. You can have a raffle, that's one idea. You could have a prize for say, the furthest traveled to attend, or the oldest car in attendance. Stuff like that. You're creative, I'm sure you'll come up with lots of good ideas.
    So, I would encourage you to pursue this idea. I think that it could turn out wonderfully.

ModelT1, fannie and 60Mercman like this.
  5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank you, what you are describing is exactly what I have in mind.

There has been an interesting development. The ops manager (Greg) where we hold the car show contacted me about holding the car show this year. He wants to hold the event with or without the Town's approval. He feels that with the car show being outdoors if folks can't keep 6' apart then they just have to wear a mask. I tried to explain that I thought there was a specific number maximum for events indoors or out. This doesn't seem to bother him at all. And if we don't have our car show he is planning to have one or maybe two this year. Greg is VERY excited to get Mastodon Ridge back into the publics eye.
    Ironically I have been thinking about giving up organizing the car show and I was planning to approach the Ridge to see if they would be interested in taking it on. But I was planning to do this in about two years when I retire. Maybe the times has come for me to pass the torch.
    Greg has expressed that he would like me involved but I don't believe it would be me running the show, it would be me doing what and how they want. Maybe that sounds weird but it just wouldn't be the same and I don't think I want to have someone over me telling me how to run the show. That's what happens when they just gave me a budget and left me alone for twelve years.
    Greg send an email to one of the town councilors, CC me on it, listing he's desire to hold the car show with the changes that he would like to see. I think my time has come. I do have a phone meeting with the councilor tomorrow evening but I don't think it is going to change things. But we'll see how it all shakes out.

Thank you again for you suggestion.

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. OrthmannJ

Interesting. Well, maybe (as you say) the time has come.
    Let us know how it all works out.

fannie likes this.
  7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    HELP!

I need a few ideas for awards (trophies) to give out following the cruise. I have the easy ones...

1) Furthest distance travelled to participate.
    2) Closest to home.
    3) Oldest vehicle.
    4) Youngest vehicle.
    5)???
    6)???
    7)???
    8)???

:victory:

8. OrthmannJ

So from this post it appears that you are still in charge and taking the reigns for the first annual Ravenous for Rhubarb Festival cruise?

fannie likes this.
  9. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    How about people’s choice
    Show Chairman’s choice
    Best Foreign Car
    Best Orphan - Hudson - Mercury- Olds type thing
    Best truck
    Best GM
    Best Ford
    Best Mopar.
    Those might require. A ballot type vote but you could put all these on a ballot except Chairman’s choice.

fannie likes this.
  10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Also if you want best car by decade

11. OrthmannJ

All good suggestions Mercman.
    Jennifer, is this an open show? Can any type of vehicle enter?

12. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, I am still hold the reins. I've had a few discussions with a Town Councilor and we have decided to go ahead with the festival, it will be different but there will be a few things going on. I met with the Greg of Mastodon Ridge today and we have come up the a good plan to put on a great event for folks to enjoy while being Covid wise.
    Thank you for the great suggestions Mercman a couple of good ideas. Yes Orth the cruise will be open to any vehicle. My plan is to have four cruises over two days. They will leave our town travel a short distance on the highway to get them on a great back road that will take them through a scenic hilly lake area. Then another short jump on the highway to then wind their way through a couple of small towns to Parrsboro where they will be greeted by a representative, park and enjoy an hours break where there cars will be on display. Then they will travel along the Bay of Fundy making their way back to Stewiacke. We plan to have a few gifts, prizes and awards along the way and at the finish. The second group will leave about an hour after the first group and follow the same route. Meanwhile Mastodon Ridge, where we will start and finish, is going to host a family fun day, live music, firefighters BBQ, mini golf perhaps a few cars on display that don't want to cruise and a few other things to be decided upon. When the first group returns they will wait for the second group and we will hand out the awards.

So here we go...hope it works out.:nailbiting:

13. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like a great format and a spectacular cruise! Good luck for a successful gig!....Longroof Cruises Rule!

fannie likes this.
  14. OrthmannJ

Sounds great!

fannie likes this.
  15. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    You know Fannie. I don’t know how long it is till your cruise but what we’ve done from time to time on some of our rural cruises in New Mexico is take the route a couple of times and do a trivia cruise on town signs, dates that might be on the route, and unique buildings etc. along the route. Just food for thought. That’s another way to give out some trivia prices. Usually no more than about 10-12 questions.