The Seven-Ups (1973)

Discussion in 'Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media' started by jwdtenn, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Not necessarily a station wagon movie per se but does feature multiple cameo appearances from many great early 1970s Detroit wagons, including a 1973 Pontiac Grand Safari at 1:11:17. It also has one of the all time great movie car chases between a 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville and a Pontiac Ventura. Point Grand Ville on that one. :29: Enjoy! :tiphat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvhIUbGImKw

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great movie and awesome car chase...nearly as good as Bullitt! I love the dubbed-exhaust sound they use for the Ventura. No stock Ventura EVER sounded like that.

That said, GO 455-POWERED BONNEVILLE GO!!!

:rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vACWV5sRcY - The actual chase scene.

-Mike

3. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Trivia: the stunt driver who drives the Grand Ville in the chase scene is the same guy who drove the Dodge Charger in the "Bullitt" chase scene.

4. azblackhemi

azblackhemi Well-Known Member

Just West of Phoenix Arizona. In the Desert.
    Watching that brings back memories. The scene with the bus was filmed on the Saw Mill Parkway in Chappaqua NY right by my high school and the part where he went under the trailer was filmed on the Taconic Parkway in Millwood NY. The bodyshop I was working at at the tims is right at the bottom of the exit ramp the trailer was sitting on. My boss came into the shop that day and said there must've been a bad wreck on the Taconic because they kept towing wrecked cars off of it. Apparantly they filmed the final wreck multiple times. We went outside and saw the tractor traileer driving off and didn't know what was happening because commercial vehicles aren't allowed on the Parkway. Next day we found out what the story was. Millwood is a small one horse town so this got alot of attention. Of course a few years later Millwood became famous again when Vanessa Williams who is a native of Millwood became Miss America.

5. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great bit of trivia, I just love it when people can recall such detail from so long ago because they were actually there.

I was in NYC with the missus and son (then 17 yo) Christmas 2010 new year 2011 when the snow fell I think on the 26th. We were in Central park as it started and one of our missions that day was to go past the Dakota Building to see for ourselves where JL was murdered :( :cry::cry: and then to take the subway to the upper west side to Toms Restaurant made famous from Seinfeld. So what I can remember from that day, it looks like in and around 3:40 that the chase is heading north from Columbus and then eventually turning Left into West 72 Street in 3:55, with the Dakota Building on the right hand corner out off shot. Can anyone confirm this is where this shot was filmed? Also days later after most of the snow had been cleaned up from the main streets (but not the Boroughs), we walked across the George Washington Bridge across to Jersey. It was funny seeing the entrance to the bridge (where all of the weird angled beams where you pop up from the subway) at 6:28 and 6:45 after the villains burst through the feeble attempt by the cops to stop them crossing over to New Jersey failed, because this has not changed one bit. Apart from the cars, you could have filmed this scene yesterday!

I apologies if I have got any of the terminology wrong trying to describe the area as well.

The
    Premier

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Isn't it neat how little things trigger our memories and we can't remember what we had for lunch???????:slap:

7. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not neat, scary!

The
    Premier

8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Most minds are just going to waste because of lack of use. :banghead3:
    For me I use "restore points" to remember things. Like when I started a new job, what RV or car I drove, or where we went on a vacation. Then things lost deep within my grey matter seems to ooze out.
    Sadly my wife has short term memory loss. She forgets what she's going to fix for lunch or that we went to town only an hour ago. Yet she can remember things 50 years back. She keeps her brain active doing puzzles, reading, and keeping me out of jail.

9. RODBUSTER340

RODBUSTER340 New Member

Wow !! That is a "blast from the past" remember going to the drive-in to see that movie..no computer graphic garbage , just "real guys" ragging out "real cars"...thanks for reminding me..

10. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    trivia

at the end of the chase, the driver that gets out of the truck is the driver of the Ventura... and the white Challenger in Vanishing Point.