The Jefferson's 65 belair build

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Chopped31sedan, Aug 7, 2014.

1. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I got my first real steady job in 1957. I had a job as shipping clerk so was all over the factory. They used the brown original Rustoleum on everything from water towers to guard rails. Found out bridges, electrical towers, and many other things were also painted with Rustoleum.
    I think the original fish oil formula has been changed a lot. But I bought a gallon from work. At that time it was for commercial use only and not in stores.
    My first old car was a 1931 Model A. I worked slow as I had time and money. I painted one piece at a time with Rustoleum then repainted the car later with fleet enamel.
    Did the same with many other old cars with no problems at all. Well I learned you can't top coat Rustoleum until it cures quite awhile. That was fine for most things. But I tried top coating a few newly Rustoleum coated parts which bubbled and peeled. That happens with other paints too.
    I too am not fond of rat rods or patina. I do understand patching and slowly repairing then spot priming as you go.

2. Chopped31sedan

Chopped31sedan New Member

It's a thing of to each their own, I work in the auto paint industry and their are a few clears made for bare metal if you want to keep the look. I'm not going to waste my money on it though. In the car world right now most cars are bringing more money patinad/rusty than ones that have nice paint jobs. Their is no point in dumping a ton of time and money in restoring the sheetmetal on this wagon, their will be no return profit at the end.

3. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    That right there is something a lot of people need to realize in this hobby. First of all, it really is a hobby for most of us. Too often people get all gung ho and tear their car apart, never to get it back together. And if they do they've spent way too much time and money so are either stuck with it or take a great lose. (Spoken from experience)
    Keep it a hobby and get whatever you have running and fun. As I wrote I don't like patina or spots of primer. But several of my daily driver cars became also my training for amatuer customizing. Therefore I drove many cars with shaved handles, etc. with contrasting primer all over. Sitting in the driver seat I never noticed.

4. Chopped31sedan

Got a good jump on the floor pans. Normally I would use 18gauge and beadroll it but I had some scrap 16 gauge so I put it to use. Used the harbor freight throat less shear which works great for 16 gauge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also took it around the block for the first time. I ordered a 1969 20 gallon mustang fuel tank, the original was gone and the previous owner has a spun aluminum tank under the floor but I plan to drive this thing a lot once done.
    [​IMG]

5. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    That lower photo looks right out of the 50's!:dancing::2_thumbs_up_-_anima

6. Chopped31sedan

Lol I think my house was built in the 50s as well, need to cut my crv out and it would be a great pic. Didn't even realize my neighbors ford in the pic