The Jefferson's 65 belair build

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Chopped31sedan, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Chopped31sedan

Chopped31sedan New Member

Ok, little info about myself. My name is Vince and I'm from virginia, my father and I are into hot rods and rat rods. We have a 31 model a sedan,33chevy coupe,38 chevrolet pickup,63f100 unibody and now a 65 bel air wagon. The wagon basically fell into my lap. I went to buy a dashboard I saw on craigslist and the guy had the wagon sinking into the front yard. I asked how much for it and he said 600. It has a running drivetrain 350/350 and new brakes. Knowing my father and I really don't need it I held off a few days before telling him about it. As soon as I told him I could tell he wanted it. Neither of us wanted to put our money up to get it since we need other parts, so I had a 36 chevrolet cab I picked up off craigslist for 50$ and picked some doors up for it for 100. Decided to try and sell it and sure enough it sold for 400. Offered the guy 500 and he took it. I called around looking for a cheap tow and got one although I wasn't sure it was going to make it being the wagon looked bigger than the truck lol.

Anyways enough rambling on, here are some pics of what we are into and what the wagon looks like.
    My 31 sedan
    [​IMG]
    My dad's coupe
    [​IMG]
    We built the chassis from scratch and did what they call a bleed sweep on the front to give it the curve and acts like a zd frame. I will have to get some new pics because the engine is back in now.
    [​IMG]

And now onto the main attraction, the wagon
    At the guys house I bought it from
    [​IMG]
    Loaded up looking sketchy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As far as the body goes, we don't plan to do any work to it besides fix the floor pans to be able to drive. The windshield leaked like crazy so divers floor is gone.
    [​IMG]

2. Chopped31sedan

We plan to have the inside looking like new, not sure on colors yet but once I get the floor patched, I plan to raptor line the entire floor before carpet. This wagon is going to be a parts hauler.
    Seats need work lol
    [​IMG]

Other plans include air suspension, 20's and 18's, fresh interior and maybe detail engine bay

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I wa expecting to find George Jefferson's wagon here. :rofl2:
    Nice collection. Way up at the top of my favorites list are Model A's. My first toy after we married was a 31 coupe. Well actually my second.;)
    Sold it to buy a Model T. Somehow that became my CB and user name. Still have a few parts for both cars.
    Also had a very nice original 1933 Chevy Master 4-door I restored. Traded it. All that's left are the eagle hood ornament, spare tire cover, old hubcaps, and other junk.
    As for your wagon leaking at the front foot area, on 55-57 Chevys there are rubber drain tubes. When those and the windshield rubber rots the water ends up on the floor. Mine had beer can aluminum patches.
    Good luck with your new parts hauler.

4. Chopped31sedan

Thanks, I will have to look for those tubes. It does look like the windshield is loose from the sealer and I think I can push it right out. Hoping to patch the floor up next week.

5. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

That has about the same amount of surface rust outside as my 67 Malibu wagon. Mine has solid floors, though. I've got kinda the same plan. paint and detail the engine compartment, new interior, leave the outside alone. I've got drop spindles, disc brakes here, ready to install. Got a detailed 327, rebuilt TH350..........and the same idea, a parts chaser. Keep us posted..........

6. Chopped31sedan

Do you have a thread or any pics of your wagon busterwivell?

7. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

Another shortcoming I have (don't go there, Cat). is posting pictures. If you take the time to go to www.67-72chevyboard.com , you can go to search, type in wagon, and scroll down to my post of "the start of our 67 Malibu wagon build." My friends there help me get pictures posted there. You'll also find updates on my 66 Chevelle, my 56 210 2 door sedan, and if you dig around enough, you'll find pictures of my 71 C30 Longhorn, my 86 Monte Carlo SS, my 47 Chevy 2 door sedan, and a picture of the barn find 29 Ford Roadster I sold at the LA roadster show in 2007. That's if you like diggin' around on the computer.

8. Chopped31sedan

Ok thanks, looks like I will have to become a member to see pics.

9. Chopped31sedan

Haven't forgot about the wagon, been doing a full color swap on the rat rod for a upcoming show. Should be pulling the wagon in the garage this weekend.
    [​IMG]

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I'm liking the Model A and to me it does not look like a rat rod. It's looking more like a real hotrod.
    If that was a rat rod the door panel would be a stop sign or speed limit sign and things like gate hinges would hold the doors on.

11. Chopped31sedan

Lol thanks, I guess their are different classifications of rat rods. My body wasn't nice and rusty when I got it so I painted it a brown metallic first and now went to the white. I don't care for rat rods with gate hinges and frying pans and saw blades hanging off. I just consider it a rat rod because the body is not finished off and it's painted with rustoleum paint but with a spray gun.

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I'm amazed how many guys hate Rustoleum. I've painted several drivers with Rustoleum and then sprayed enamals over it later. Another thing many say can't be done.
    Somewhere in Florida or a nearby state my 1926 Model T is in a museum painted with Rustoleum under fleet black enamal.

I'm on a large traditional rod site where you can call a member's mom naughty names but you can't use the words ratrod or Rustoleum.:oops:

We have been to car shows where i enjoy looking at ratrods. Some have amazing things done to them. They are works of art.....or some are scrap waiting for the garbage man.

13. Chopped31sedan

Yea I'm a member of that same site catmodelt, their is some great information over there but the people are ridiculous. As for the rustoleum I like it a lot, I actually work in a automotive paint shop. I've done the same as you and put other paints and primers over it with no reactions. I will say with a rat rod you can finish it off in 320 and do no sealing and it will come out great, no drawing up of scratches or anything

14. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep us updated!

15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I know I'm swatting the hornet's nest when I say this, so y'all might as well not say anything in retaliation: I absolutely hate 'patina' and 'rust,' no matter how much mechanical or body work has been put into a vehicle. If you at least can't arrest the rust and throw a few coats on to stop the rust, then don't bother starting the project, IMHO. I like the fact that you've used Rustoleum on rod projects, Cat, because that makes it last longer and as to the eye, a lot better-looking.