The Cruiser Chronicles

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by 77Vista, Jul 20, 2011.

1. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

This is going to be the thread on me bringing this car back to tip top shape.

The car: 1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. 59K original miles

The story:

The car was ordered in December of 76, then built in Jan. of 77 and delivered and sold in Feb. 77. It had 20 miles on it when it was brought home. From what my Grandpa told me was the original owners bought it to haul their dogs. Thats it, so it saw very limited road time. Then in the early 90s when my Grandpa got the car it had about 20K on the clock and was 100% factory at the time. Then he used and drove it and he racked the milage up to 59K. Which is where it sits today.

But I had been after this car for a few years, dropping hints here and there. He always told me I didn't need that old car. But it continued just to sit. Then he got the idea to donate it to a Junk for Jesus type program. Then it kept sitting. I heard that they didn't even want it! Then he was just going to scrap it. But my Grandma convinced him to see if I wanted it. And of course I did. So I was able to finally bring it home.

This car is a project, I have another one taking up time. So when I have time/money it will be worked on. Once its back to drivable condition it will be a cruiser. No mods or anything crazy. Right now it runs like garbage. The rats have eaten vacuum lines, plus bad gas in the tank and a desperate need of a tune up. Thats what I will be addressing first. Then anything maintenance wise.

So heres what I will be starting with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

Been a couple weeks since I've been able to get to the parents and get working on it. All the vacuum lines have been replaced, but it still didn't run very well. So new plugs, cap and rotor were in order. After the replacement it ran like a new car!! The Rocket 350 purs when you open the throttle. The brakes need some attention since there is some pedal travel. So I'll probably bleed them and see where that gets me.

But for now its getting back to being a cruiser!

Here it is out on a very short drive, no plates and no insurance so I didn't want to go to far!

[​IMG]

3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Sound like my kinda people!:D(y)

Congrats on getting it, allways nice when you know the comlete history. I think you should get Grandma something nice(y)

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

That's a very nice looking car. I'm surprised your Grandfather would think it wouldn't be worth more than a donation to charity. It's too bad about the dent on the right side, but that can be taken care of. It's also good to hear that nothing more than a good tune-up got it back in good running condition. I like the dog-dish hub caps and how the rim color matches the car's color.

Good luck with it.

5. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    77vista:
    Great start on a neat project.
    You're SO lucky that the bumper fillers are there - and they look to be in great condition!
    Most southern cars have nothing but gaping holes where the fillers should be.
    Keep us updated.
    Joe

6. gray07

gray07 New Member

Love this body style, most of these went to the boneyard the way of demo derbys, Love this car

7. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Darn good starter wagon....:cheers:

8. hutch57

hutch57 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    You scored big time on this one. Congrats.

9. dotcentral

dotcentral Active Member

Glad you got the car since you really wanted it. Around here, if it is more than about 15 years old those places sell the donated cars to the junkyards. Saw a real nice 4 door Rambler a few years back, amongst other vehicles.

10. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

I'm sure thats what would have happened to it. Sad that these beasts are tossed aside so fast as big gas hogs and in reality todays SUVS and "Crossovers" get the same if not worse milage.

Thanks for the compliments guys!! I can't wait to get plates and insurance on it so I can really start driving it. I'm thinking a road trip?? Maybe San Diego??

I've never been a G.M. guy but this Olds is growing on me.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  11. 77Vista

77Vista Active Member

Well not much as progress goes. I did get insurance on it today and next is going to be plates. I need to get the turn signals figured out, the left/drivers one turns on but doesn't flash and is super dim. Guessing a bad bulb. But I did attempt to see if I can save the paint and as it appears I will be able to!

Compounded and waxed on the right and not on the left. Its hard to see but its the shiny part on the front of the fender compared to the rest of it.

[​IMG]

A couple with my Focus just for the heck of it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    once you get that dent outa the door...shes gonna be stellar:thumbs2:

im really diggin the 'bone stock' look of her:thumbs2:

13. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing, Rev.

14. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

Love that car. Non-metallic paint is the easiest to save. Good job. I really like the small hubcaps on that car.:thumbs2:

15. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If it doesn't flash, it's probably the Flasher and/or a bad ground. Common issue, simple fix, expecially with the clear plastic flashers. The old tin-can ones cooled off better (small transformer in both, but the newer plastic ones also had a capacitor circuit, but the heat couldn't get out, so they'd fail more frequently. Sure look pretty though - :evilsmile: