Studebaker Wagonaire

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by clover, May 28, 2010.

1. clover

clover New Member

Hi
    I'm new to the forum, but not to station wagons. I've had a 1964 Sliding roof, Studebaker Wagonaire for 5 years. I'm thinking about selling her and was wondering what it might be worth. I'm the third owner. 71,000 original miles. Mechanically sound but does need some rust repair. Original paint, it's thin but still looks pretty good. The floors are solid, but the worst places are the tail gate, the rocker panels and a spot next to the rightside back seat sill plate. The interior is great otherwise and all original. I've had people ask me who did the interior and I have to grin and tell them, Studebaker. It has power steering, power brakes, a Studebaker 289 V8 strong and a Dana 44 rear end. Power tailgate window and good headliner. The dash is still good with no cracks and it has the vanity glove compartment. If anyone can give me an idea what something like this is worth, let me know.

2. Erik Boattail

Erik Boattail Menior Sember

"clover":

[​IMG]

If you want an opion about the asking price, I think it's better to post a few photos of the wagon in question [​IMG]

But even with the help from a lot of good photos it will be tough to put a price on such a rare car.

3. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Never seen one IRL, but would love to see a few photos in stead.

Great idea that sliding roof above the tail gate:

[​IMG]

@Erik: do you know of the existence of such a wagon in Europe?

4. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
  5. Erik Boattail

There are a few of those wagons in the Studebaker Club of Switzerland, I never came across one at car shows in other European countries.

6. clover

clover New Member

My Wagonaire

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get some current pictures taken soon and posted. I belong to SDC too so they might know, but these cars do not come up for sale very often so it's difficult to decide a value. In the mean time here is a couple of older photos: bernice.jpg img_0464.jpg

7. Erik Boattail

There's another new board member with a (model year 1965) Wagonaire, he's planning to list it on eBay:

Click here to read his introduction post [​IMG]

8. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:Welcome: I just love those Sudebaker wagons.

9. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome!

I think you should keep it. It's a rare wagon now. It will be even more rare down the road. I think Studebaker did good work with the redesigned body on the '64 - looks quite modern for the period. Might be a bit of trouble to restore, but in the end it will be worth it.

10. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    TB....what's a Sudebaker? :rofl2:
    Clover.....You have had this car for 5 years and are a member of the SDC and you have no clue as to the wagon's value?
    OK....I'll give you 500 bucks for it.:D

11. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Nice, and rare, wagon Clover. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I always thought it was pretty cool how the roof opened up and wondered why none of the big 3 ever instituted in any of their long roofs.
    Hard to say what it's worth; of course, it's worth exactly what someone would pay for it, but I'm sure you already know that.
    Good luck.

12. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Clover! Fine looking classic. Great cars in their day!

The others didn't want to be too obvious that they knocked off the design. I remember an ad where they had a Fridge standing up through the roof. My mother was shopping for some artifical palm trees, and instead went and bought one of those very wagons, then got the palm trees and drove home in a snow storm with them sticking up! :evilsmile::biglaugh:

We roared like for days when she came home. My dad was the only one that knew what she was up to, and didn't say a word. Just grinned like a cheshire cat. :D

13. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Great story, Norm. That must've been hilarious seeing those two palm trees sticking up in the middle of a blizzard. Too bad you don't have any pics.

14. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    January 1964. I was 15 years old. Mom had totalled her new 1963 Corvair wagon in December, spinning on a patch of ice. The funniest thing I ever saw. Dad might have had pics, but I think not. We were all sitting in the livingroom waiting for her to come back from 'shopping'. She got an old 1953 Monarch between the Corvair and this one. The old Monarch's rear fenders used to flop away from the car because of the rust. I doubt that dad had the presence of mind to get a camera. We were bouncing around like 5 nut cases and he was watching my baby sister and brother, from all the hoopla! Mom just sauntered in, watching to see if the neighbours were peeking through the curtains! :rofl2: We had a raised oval driveway in a new middleclass suburb, and the old Monarch must've had tongues wagging. The Stude probably clamped them shut. :rofl2: