Studebaker camper wagon

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Butch, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Butch

Butch New Member

Thanks Norm......this is great~! I just bought the Studebaker Canada announcement letter from that eBay site.....BEAUTIFUL~!:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You're welcome! Are you planning on building one? I ask because we've got a pretty big Camper/Trailer industry here around Winnipeg (Triple-E is one of the biggest), and Princess Auto's big catalog carries (and makes) a lot of camper accessories (replacement appliances, water tanks, etc.) and they're also based here in Winnipeg.

AND, the guy who owned P&S (Kamp King - Lester Pomykal, just passed away in 2005. He was an Ex-President of the Texas RV Association. Here's their site:
    http://216.70.94.10/

Here's a link to the Newsletter about his passing, but the guy was involved in the Association's Legislative lobby group. Could mean there's some documentation about his units filed with the Texas DOT.:
    http://216.70.94.10/newsletters/fall_2005.pdf

Also here's a couple Trailer DIY sites:
    http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/

http://www.oldwoodies.com/shoptalk-trailer.htm

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTrailerPlans1.htm

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm

Keep us updated on your progress, eh? :)

3. Butch

Butch New Member

Hey Norm...with you in the "Peg" and an old car nut I'm wondering if you've met up with my old buddy from Carp who moved out there last year. He's a serious Mopar man and an old school rod builder. When the moving van backed up to his door in Carp me and a few buddies lovingly pushed his chopped & channelled, lowered & frenched, blueprinted & blown, hand built 41 Plymouth tudor coupe up the ramps and into the back. And to answer you question; no I've not considered building another wagon camper but I have often wondered why someone didn't build something similar for the GMC Envoy SUV that has a 21st century update on the old 60's Studebaker sliding roof option. We no longer have the camper but I think all or most of the Stude wagon chrome has been stored since the 70's in my parents garage loft. Cheers.....

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    HandyAndy and I are in the Peg and Fairmont 'bobbsy twins'. We went to a small vendor show last year, but the big show was a week later and we were too busy to go. We'll probably see him around.

5. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    A local mechanic friend of mine has a 56 Stude. I'll try to get a couple pics of it.

6. gtautomobilia

gtautomobilia New Member

7. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That mag pic was posted somewhere here before...I remember seeing it, Butch. And...:Welcome:to the wagon train!

8. gtautomobilia

gtautomobilia New Member

Thanks. :)

I've always been a fan of wagons, hard to find the exact one I want though. A 1978-1982 Mercury Zephyr wagon, or an 83-86 Mercury Marquis wagon(not the full size, the mid-size built of the Ford Fox chassis, similar to the Mustang).

One will turn up sometime when the time is right, the moon is aligned and I have the money waiting for it!

9. Wagonaire Man

Wagonaire Man New Member

Butch: I just joined the forum as the Wagonaire Man and what luck to step into this thread. I have 5 of the Studebaker Wagonaires with only 3 of them running. I had just run across the picture of the camper on the Wagonaire and was looking for information about it when I came upon this site. Stormin' Norman must be a retired detective the way he dug up so much information so quickly on the camper. I'm impressed anyway!

If I can help you in any way with your search for a Studebaker station wagon let me know.

10. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Nice offer but..... he has'nt posted here since Jan 2009. I have a dout that we won't hear from him.:D

11. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I started reading this thread and was once again very impressed with Normy...then I looked at the date :rofl:

12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, sure would have been nice if Butch stuck around......that was a very interesting piece of wagon history.

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Yeah, liked the look of the wagon/camper combo. Who was designing/styling at Studebaker at that time. Loewy? Exner?

14. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Brooks Stevens was the designer of the wonderful '62-'66 Lark lineup. Larks were pretty great looking cars when they first came out in '59, and Stevens was brought in to basically facelift the Larks and Hawks for '62. He is credited with the Wagonaire design.

David :)