SARGE - ROAD WARRIOR

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Paladin62, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yes, one thing Mercedes Benz is known for, is accident survivability. Prayers of healing to them, and do not let that kid skate! After my little fender bender, TFB told me that the 17-year-old's parents are not liable for the accident, even though Texas law requires parents to be liable for a child's actions behind the wheel, including insuring them. And so, because I'm on disability, I can't afford a lawyer even to take him to small claims court.

2. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Been away from the site for awhile, but wow. Thank goodness your wife and granddaughter are relatively okay. Distracted and inattentive driving can lead to some pretty horrific injuries...or worse. Thank goodness it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Otherwise, great car and a great thread! I'll be looking forward to updates from your adventures in it. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  3. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes they build Mercedes right...very happy everyone will be O.K.! was the offending driver on the cell phone? hope you can get back on the project soon!..question..what will the wifes new car be?

4. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks to all for the well wishes. The wife is better. But I tell you, I will be so happy when this is behind us... I am wearing several hats: Driving Ms Daisey, Chief cook and bottle washer, Nurse Betty, Private Secretary, Molly the Maid are the main ones. Now I know how the kids feel when you call them and when they get there, you say, "gimme that remote over there"...

It's a slow process. I do have a lawyer who says if we take the slow road (maybe a year to settle) the $$$ will be significant. So we wait. I want to add a garage apartment to the house to give me a four car garage. If the settlement is anywhere near his claim, I'll add the garage before I replace the Mercedes. 1630 Frt View 2.JPG Home addition3.jpg

5. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

thanks for the update sir, glad everyones good. like the garage idea.

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Yes, glad to hear everyone is good.
    Slow and steady seems to be a very good approach in this matter.

7. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    OK...where was I???
    The radiator appeared to be original. It was struggling to keep the temp down. It ran above 190 all the time and if you got into traffic....200-210. I knew I needed to address that right away. I went online and bought a 4 core aluminum radiator.
    That brought the temp down to 180. It was a direct fit and probably saved the engine. Looking at this picture, the 73 Vette was still on the driveway. (that's it on the right)
    25 Sarge.jpg
    I was trying to figure out what's next... I needed to put the Mercedes (RIP) in the shop one day. I followed the wife to the shop and when she got in Sarge for the ride home she looked around and said, "where are the seat belts"??!!?? I explained that seatbelts were not original equipment in 1960. Oh hell no!! Was her reply. So, I knew that the next thing on my lengthy list was seatbelts.

Back online, I found the seatbelts and just sat them aside for the installation later. I knew what my paint scheme was gonna be, Olive Green/Silver outside and Black and peanut butter on the inside. The green a tribute to my Army days and Silver to match my 62' Vette. But that would come later.

I disassembled the dash and masked off the windshield and prepped the dash for paint. I waited for a windless day and shot the dash with high gloss paint from a rattle can. (I get pretty good reviews on my paint technique) 8b Sarge.jpg 29d Sarge.jpg

Wagonrodder likes this.
  8. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

looks awsome !!!!

OrthmannJ likes this.
  9. Wagonrodder

Wagon Garage:
    Outstanding job! and that kind of stuff is just plain fun...amazing results can come from rattle cans...especially the 25 buck a can automotive paint cans...eastwood has a great black in low and high gloss...you should be proud how that came out!:clap:

OrthmannJ likes this.
  10. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I agree 100%

11. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    29b Sarge.jpg 29c Sarge.jpg 30 Sarge.jpg Gee, I didn't know about Eastwood auto paint. I used Rustoleum. Not sure it would have turned out better, but it might be more durable.

12. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Scotch locks are nothing but a source of future problems. There is no substitute for solder connections covered with shrink wrap.

Wagonrodder likes this.
  13. Wagonrodder

Wagon Garage:
    I believe eastwood has several types of paint but i like the chassis black...if i remember correctly it comes in satin and gloss, you remove the cap from the can and place it on the bottom of the can and slam it on the floor...this releases a hardner inside the can and the paint dries hard as a rock when you do the fingernail test...ive used it on motorcycle frames followed with a clear coat with nice results....Rustoleum is great paint also and your dash looks sweet!

14. wylee

wylee Well-Known Member

coming along nicely!!

OrthmannJ likes this.
  15. Paladin62

Wagon Garage:
    Moving forward with the accident claim. Only got $7 grand for the Mercedes... Gonna cost a lot more to replace it. Given the price of gas, I'm considering a preowned Tesla S. The price is a little high but I think that's where we're headed. It'll be the wife's daily driver. She's coming along pretty good but still going to physical therapy. She has PTSD and has only driven once since the accident. I have been freshening up her Corvette: repainted, A/C recharge, new wheels. But she still doesn't want to drive. In the meantime, I drive it every day :)
    Since gas went to $5 I haven't been out in Sarge very much. With the air on it gets about 10 MPG. But I'm taking it out today.
    Have a great 4th of July!!! Don't drink a fifth on the fourth!! :) Stafford-Missouri City-20180209-00299.jpg