Roadmaster Wagon B-Pillar Black-out. GM DID mean for it to be this way!

Discussion in 'Car Shows and Swap Meets' started by 81X11, May 26, 2016.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Check this out, an early 1990-vintage Roadmaster Wagon brochure. GM did not black out the B-pillar on production Roadmaster wagons, but as this pre-production brochure shows, that WAS the original plan! I blacked out my B-pillar about two years ago...and now I find this! Cool! Ha!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my '96 Roady

[​IMG]

-Mike

wagonmaster likes this.
  2. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    GM Design Clay Model (thanks Chris!)
    [​IMG]

Grizz likes this.
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    You are ahead of your time!
    I even blacked out the windows on my 1955 Chevy wagon, because I could.
    Our 55 Chevy (5).JPG

4. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

Looks good.
    The early photos of the '91 Custom Cruiser also showed blacked out B-pillars, had an "Oldsmobile" emblem on the left front corner of the hood too.
    1991_oldsmobile_custom-cruiser_wagon_base.jpg

5. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I installed my Roadmaster Blacked-Out B-pillar trim back in October 2014. I ordered a kit off Ebay after seeing these piano-black pillar covers on another Roady wagon. It not expensive, and does change the look of the car quite a bit. Not sure if it's BETTER or not (my son Eddie hates the look), but it's different...which I DO like, and goes with my Gran Sport theme I guess, since Buick is famous for blacking out window trim on the GS/Sporty models.

I only used the B-pillar trim, even though it came with the C-pillar blackout panels as well. I left the C-pillars off because GM did not run the chrome window outline trim above and below the C-pillar trim on Roadmasters (or 91 Custom Cruisers), like it did on the B-pillar area trim.

I masking-taped the black panels on the C's, stood back, and it just didn't look "factory" to me. The black on the C's also stuck out more, and seemed to take away from the curved/sloping rear 1/4 window angle design GM gave these Roadmaster wagons on the C-pillar trim. If this was my '92 Custom Cruiser or a Caprice wagon, where the chrome outline trim continues straight-back on rear door and into the rear ¼ window, I most likely would have used that black C-pillar trim to tie it all together, but on the Roadmaster it just didn't look “correct” to me.

The black trim itself is VERY shiny and very hard plastic, and is attached with 3M mounting tape, already applied on the panels out of the box. Peel the red backing off and they just stick on. You DO have to take some time to find what panel goes where, as many panels look very similar and you could possibly confuse them, as the widths and angles vary just a tiny bit on many panels.

ANYWAY the B-pillar black trim fits well and seems well made. After two years it still looks just like it did when I first installed it, BUT remember my car is not a daily-driver, is garaged and does not see bad weather at all. If you daily your wagon, and your car spends a lot of time coated in road salt, rain, dirt, or baking in the sun, I have no clue how these will last for you. I do wax these when I wax the car, just as a precaution. Again mine still look just like the day I installed them.

About my only complaint is these do show fingerprints, so will have to get in the habit of closing the door on the wood instead of the pillar. And again the trim is a little thick…stands away from the door a little bit.

A BIG tip if you decide to order a kit and do this, I would pre-paint the area behind the new plastic trim black first before installing it. I added the trim, and could still see some white around the trim edges....and I thought I could live with that, but it bothered me enough, especially in the direct sunshine, that I taped the car all up and painted around the edges of the new trim with Semi-gloss enamel. NOW it's ALL black, and looks a LOT better and more like what the factory would have done. Blacking out around the trim also lessened the look of “thickness” of these panels too. My OCD stopped screaming after that.

Again, it may seem silly to paint the area you are about to cover, but especially if you have a light-color car, it will look better if you do this. If you are a better painter than me you could just paint that area and save yourself the funds of adding the plastic trim itself, but I can’t paint gloss that well, and unless you get right up close, it looks almost factory original now.

-Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like the blue '91 Olds above. In '91 the OCC shared the Roadmaster's C-piller "swooping" trim, and in '92 Olds removed that trim and just used the bare metal like the Caprice. Interesting!

7. BlueVista

It is strange that they make that version of the OCC for two years and change the flyaway and swoopy trim? Those back doors were made totally different because of that trim too.
    I think they may have had the integral door mirrors on the drawing board too. The pod mirrors look strange on the woody RMW's , not so bad on the OCC's IMO, no choice anyway.:D

8. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Took this at the ballpark here yesterday.

[​IMG]

I like the blacked-out pillar a lot.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

-Mike

9. BlueVista

Dell Diamond, sounds like the name of a late 50's teenage heartthrob.:D
    If I parked my car in front of the ballpark for a photo in Cleveland it would either be stolen or towed away by the cops before I could get far enough away to take the picture. :rolleyes::D