Replacement Dark Woodgrain - Cheap!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 81X11, Jul 7, 2017.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    A fellow wagon owner installed the same Spartan-brand woodgrain I ordered for our 78 Buick wagon on his green Plymouth. For a JC Whitney item, I think it looks REALLY good! Can't wait to get the paintwork done and start re-wooding the Electra. Cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wood-grain.../p2006573.jcwx $66 per roll

VTWAGONLOVER likes this.
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    JCWhitney used to get a bad name for cheap quality and things that didn't match. The old UltraVan RV I had came new with some JCWhitney parts.
    The original store was downtown Chicago. To save a dollar on mailing we'd drive the 165+ miles to the store.
    Now they are much closer off I-80 and I've never been there.
    The pattern shown looks nice to me. Only a purist would know.

Back in the old days the old brick building was on sort of a point from what I remember. One side had signs for JCWhitney. The other for Warshawsky Auto Parts.
    There were two different yet nearly alike catalogs. I just saw in the ad that a printed catalog is no longer made. I have no idea how many years I got that JCWhitney catalog, along with nearly a dozen other car related magazines.
    Even Hemmings took days to look through.
    Way before internet.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I remember those days. Bought a catalog as soon as I got my first car. I don't remember ever ordering anything from it, though. Even then, I realized that some of their prices were not the best. Looking for car stereos (this was 1969...), they wanted a lot more money than what I could pick up one for near home. Pep Boys and other parts stores were fine for me. Bought a set of baby moons, matte-finish paint to 'black-out' my grill; went to carpet store and bought some remnants of shag carpeting; speakers for the rear shelf - 8-track in the glove box; When I had the Corvair Corsa, I bought a specialty catalog from a firm that made stuff for them. Never had any extra money to buy the stuff, though - I was broke during that period.

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I guess, they upped the prices on stereos, to compensate for any loss on the basic items. I ordered a rebuild gasket set for my '56 Chevy and there was even the wick-type rear bearing seal in there for extra measure. Even though, probably only grampas would prefer installing one, instead of the modern Rubber seal also delivered. I couldn't complain about what they sent. Even, if oddball or of never heard of before brands.
    I too visited that outlet which was Called J.C. Whitney for catalog tourists and Warshawsky's for locals. I remember it being located in a rather lowlife part of Chicago. The patrons in front of us were arguing about something I don't even remember and it almost blew up into a brawl.
    I didn't know they were still in business. For a fake woodgrain, it doesn't look bad. Keeping the selection down also reduces overhead costs. The only mismatch I can see with the car of which it's applied to is the shade of brown on the wagon itself. I guess, you either save money applying that sheet of vinyl, re-paint the wagon before applying it or spending more for matching vinyl.

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Remember J.C. Whitney and Warshawsky's was a big old multi story building but customers remained on the first floor sort of a lobby with a balcony above and a large customer counter?
    To me 95% of Chicago was the lowlife part of town. With exception of the museums, aquarium, and Brookfield zoo. Even some of those monkeys looked rather sneaky.

My main use for the free catalogs was to see what was available and compare local prices.
    I remember going to the Chicago store several times around 1960's thru the 70's. Founded 1915.
    We went only once to the new location off I-80, actually on rt-6 near LaSalle, Illinois.
    Now owned by US Auto Parts since 2010. Nothing is original anymore.
    :nohijacking::wrongforum::mg:

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The monkeys learned their lessons well from the best teachers, Sir.
    I remember that lobby deal you mentioned. That's where those two dirtbags nearly fisticuffed it. I was there only once in the early 80's. We drove there in my Super Beetle that had a 1200 cc engine from a '61 Beetle. After having the bronze bushing on the crankshaft machined to fit, it fit perfectly onto the modern transaxle. I did it for the Hell of it, to see what kind of fuel milage I could get. I had nothing to compare it to. So, I can't say if the milage would have been better than that of the original 1600 that was in there.
    I don't remember what I bought there, either. I only know it wasn't something which I couldn't mailorder. I just needed an excuse to go see something else.
    The city was set up different than any other sizable U.S. city I've been in. We just drove through, remembering some museum displaying Egyptian artifacts. That's that. We just drove through, got some parts. Then boogied back.