Rear power window trouble on 64 Fury

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by OrthmannJ, Apr 15, 2020.

1. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

So the Fury has a power rear window. I remember the day when it started to catch as it went up and down.
    It was summer break and Mom had taken all seven of us to the grocery store (I still can't believe she did that...) and we were on our way home and there was a cloud burst. I was in the way back with one of my siblings and the window was down. As rain and spray came in Mom started to roll up the window form the driver's seat. It got about 3/4 of the way up and then ground to a halt. I had to unbuckle and pull it up the rest of the way. When we got home we had to push it down, past that same spot.
    It's been that way ever since. In fact, over time it has gotten progressively worse. Well, this week I decided to try and do something about it. I had the Fury at the local glass shop and figured, since I was there I might as well take the leap and have them dig into the problem.
    They pulled everything out and their assessment is the problem lies with the motor itself. Everything else looks great. They cleaned things up and added new grease and manually working the mechanism there is nothing that looks out of place.

So, I took the motor to a Yakima Battery and left it with Carl. He said they would take it apart and see what they can do..

IMG_4373.JPG

My hope is that it can be rebuilt, good as new, and that once reinstalled the rear window will work like it's supposed to.

However, there is the possibility that they won't be able to get it working. As a plan B I am looking for possible replacement motors. Of course there isn't anything that says it is specifically for a 1964 Plymouth B-Body wagon. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that this motor was used in other vehicles across the Chrysler family.
    Does anyone have a parts diagram of the power rear window of 64 Mopar wagons? Has anyone replaced a motor like this? Just looking for options.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I'll look in my '68 Motor manual when I get home, see if there's a t/g diagram.

3. OrthmannJ

Awesome. Thanks Andrew.

4. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I don’t see why it couldn’t be rebuilt. Would it have a part # anywhere? Are the other windows power? If so, would the motor be the same?:huh:

5. OrthmannJ

Turns out it was able to be rebuilt. I picked it up and will take it to the autoglass place today. The one thing Carl mentioned though was the gear on the motor. He said it's not super bad, but it may be worn just enough to cause an issue. They weren't able to replace the gear.
    So, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the final verdict is once it's reinstalled.
    And no Grizz, the other windows aren't power. Just the tailgate.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That's good it's back together, because the manual has NOTHING. Nothing for wagons. If you haven't already, you should find a factory shop manual. And look for a regulator to keep as a spare.

7. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Just another reason to cruise the swap meets! Are you gonna visit the regulator with some grease or kroil or something?

8. OrthmannJ

So I picked the motor up. Carl said it was in really good shape. They just went through it and cleaned it up. As I mentioned, he pointed out the teeth on the small gear and said they were rolled a little bit. He surmised that might be enough to cause a problem.

I took the motor back to the glass shop yesterday afternoon and they put everything back together.

One of the fellows at the glass shop just called me. They got it all back together aaaaaaaaaand...
    still no worky. :(

They agree that it's the little gear on the motor and there is a half gear on the regulator that is also part of the problem.

Before disassembly:
    IMG_4403.JPG

Reassembled:
    IMG_4401.JPG

Peek inside the empty tailgate:
    IMG_4402.JPG

So, they're going to put everything back together for the time being and I am going to try and figure out my next move.

9. bcschief

bcschief Member

Found you a regulator at Len Dawson Deception Pass P/N is 2428132 Tailgate electric window regulator 63-65 full size wagon Except 880 $150.00 Here is a link
    www.dpmotorparts.com/toys_2.cfm Let them double check the application and P/N

10. OrthmannJ

Awesome! I'll check that out! Thanks chief.

11. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    So what’s the problem? The motor is working but the gears aren’t catching?

12. OrthmannJ

They are catching, but there are a couple of places where the worn teeth on the motor gear and the worn teeth on the regulator gear come together. It's at that point where the window stops. It will go up or down with outside assistance (me pulling or pushing on it)
    So the window guys are thinking the gears need to be replaced, which of course, they don't have.

13. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I've had success over the years with welding up, grinding and filing the regulator gears back to their proper shape. the motor gear is usually a harder steel and will generally wear less than the mild steel of the regulator. If you can't find replacements it is always an option.

14. 69plywgn

69plywgn Well-Known Member

15. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    That's what I was thinking, too. Especially if you have or know someone with a TIG welder who can really control the added weld. I wouldn't think it would be that big if a deal to do.